Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on January 09, 2016, 11:45:10 AM

What??   :o Davidsson is not austere and spiritual enough, too playful and too capricious?   ???
In my frame of reference, if anything, Davidsson is quite actual on the introvert, serious and spiritual side. I cannot believe my eyes... ::)

Q

I can see why Nicolas says that, in v4. of es ist das heil uns kommen hier, for example.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 07, 2016, 10:13:44 AM

Graham Barber plays Georg Bohm;

As so often happens YouTube may assist in giving an idea a recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b8UyWK8kxA

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

A couple recordings of Iberia caught my eye.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

I'm finding reviews vary a bit on this one:

[asin]B00766CN4W[/asin]
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 16, 2016, 03:25:16 PM

Unless you are a hardcore Vernet completist

One really nice thing I got a couple of weeks ago is this early CD, really for the Bruhns

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 16, 2016, 11:12:55 PM
One really nice thing I got a couple of weeks ago is this early CD, really for the Bruhns

Ordered at once (I am a hardcore Bruhns organ works completist  :))!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

I have moved the Buxtehude discusions HERE.

Q

André

Sokolov plays Schubert impromptus and Klavierstücke as well as a 54 minute Hammerklavier. Will I,  won't I ??

betterthanfine

Quote from: orfeo on January 14, 2016, 02:46:54 AM
I'm finding reviews vary a bit on this one:

[asin]B00766CN4W[/asin]

I own it, haven't played it in ages though... Kozena's always great in Dvorak. I cannot clearly recall what I thought about the Ravel, but the Mahler's perfectly fine. I don't think these recordings will be anyone's first choice for these works, but an enjoyable disc nonetheless.

Spineur

From Magdalena Kozena, this is the one I am going after
It should be out in a few weeks

André

The 51 disc box of late Davis

Includes a Fidelio, Falstaff, Lohengrin, Mahler 4 and 8, Le Nozze de Figaro, Mozart, Brahms and Verdi Requiem,  complete Brahms, Sibelius and Schubert symphonies etc etc

Late Davis has a tendency to be a soft-spoken type of music making. Not sure if I will. But I am tempted.

amw

instead of

I know some people will disagree, I was mostly looking at timings. (But am unconvinced that the finale will be sufficiently... ambiguous? Obviously the ideal performance would be something like 12:30 / 4:30 / 15:00 / 12:00 [7:00 + 5:00] but that doesn't exist yet >_>)

Not sure where to get another Concerto for Two Pianos. There's a Tal & Groethuysen recording (also paired with the 5th) which I've never heard anyone talk about on here ever.

kishnevi

I would rather have the concerto than the Tallis Fantasia.

(Actually, if it is the one in the EMI 30CD set, than I have that recording of the concerto.)

Timings of Previn's recording with the LSO (from the RCA cycle)

12:49 5:14 12:15 11:13

Pretty close to your ideal except for the quicker Lento.

amw

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 22, 2016, 05:35:24 PM
I would rather have the concerto than the Tallis Fantasia.
Me too.

The ideal timings are somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Very few people seem to want to turn the coda of the symphony into a long, slow threnody (I think this is the one place I imprinted too much on Menuhin/RLPO, who take similar tempi to Previn's LSO recording, except faster in the Passacaglia and slower in the Coda, more or less). I'm also considering Haitink's live recording on the LPO label, but people seem to dislike his Vaughan Williams for being too Dutch or whatever, so idk.

premont

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 17, 2016, 03:14:20 AM
Ordered at once (I am a hardcore Bruhns organ works completist  :))!

Instead of the ordered Bruhns/Vernet Amazon.fr sent me Bruhns/Coudurier   >:(  - a fine recording, but I own it already.
Now I can see, that the Vernet is unavailable, so Amazon.fr obviously were confused already before my purchase.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 24, 2016, 06:38:33 AM
Instead of the ordered Bruhns/Vernet Amazon.fr sent me Bruhns/Coudurier   >:(  - a fine recording, but I own it already.
Now I can see, that the Vernet is unavailable, so Amazon.fr obviously were confused already before my purchase.

I was quite surprised when you said you ordered it because I thought it would be hard to find. I'll PM you with it later. In fact, I've been listening to it quite a bit over the past few days.

amw

Quote from: amw on January 22, 2016, 05:27:26 PM

instead of

For what it's worth, after comparing the two versions of the 5th, I decided I still preferred Menuhin/RPO and would not get rid of it, or buy the Previn.

I instead acquired a couple of albums of unknown (to me) RVW music (apart from the obligatory Tallis Fantasia) that only duplicate between them The Lark Ascending, a piece I don't particularly care about either way, anyway. That being these two: 1 and 2. I am also considering a complete symphony cycle, having previously copied Boult (EMI) from a library set in 256kbps MP3. Despite receiving almost universal praise, the Boult cycle has failed to make the music more than pleasant for me. From sampling, most likely I will go with Haitink, but there is still time to dissuade me if you must. >.>

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: amw on January 25, 2016, 02:26:54 AM
For what it's worth, after comparing the two versions of the 5th, I decided I still preferred Menuhin/RPO...From sampling, most likely I will go with Haitink, but there is still time to dissuade me if you must. >.>

Haitink's cycle and the Menuhin Fifth...that would be my choice too if I had to choose just one (one cycle, one Fifth).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Agree with amw & Sarge (besides I don't want KP duty).  I have both the Previn and Menuhin; the latter gets played more but I sure won't be discarding the Previn; in fact I ought to listen to both back to back more carefully.