Bonjour

Started by Discobole, February 18, 2012, 03:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 19, 2012, 09:59:18 AM
BPO/Abbado

Oh, well that is a surprise to me, but it is also much of the point of the exercise.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Discobole on February 19, 2012, 01:55:45 PM
Thrilling, passionate, but not the ultimate one ;)

About Wagner, yes, I do like his operas (most of them anyway), why ?

I have to agree: about Mahler, the Karajan recordings are not the ultimate ones, despite being amazing; I admit that Bernstein was much better in that music.

Nothing particular, it was just to know :) As both my picture and my username point out, Wagner is my favourite composer, I'm glad you like his operas!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Lethevich

A belated welcome - it's nice to see a new face posting :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

TheGSMoeller

Greetings, and welcome!  ;)

Papy Oli

Bienvenue Discobole !  :)
Olivier

Mirror Image

Welcome to the forum! I hope you are a fan of Shostakovich (to mock madaboutmahler). ;) ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Discobole on February 21, 2012, 02:57:41 AMI like my Shostakovich in a certain way. There are Mravinsky, Kondrashin, Rozhdestvensky (and, for the instruments, Oistrakh, Gutman...) and then there are the others, far behind. I usually dislike western interpretations in Shostakovich more than for any other Russian or Soviet composer... Funny, because I think Prokofiev was better played in the West, for instance.

There are many people who swear by the Russian approach to Shostakovich and this is perfectly fine. I think, in my opinion, his music lends itself to many different interpretations besides those of the Russians. Good to have you onboard. By the way, it wouldn't have bothered me one bit if you didn't like Shostakovich. Everybody on this planet are unique and likes different things. Occasionally, our tastes will overlap, but even then, we hear something different in the music.

North Star

Welcome to the forum. Now, where did I put my Dvorak hammer?

(MI was just making a joke of Daniel's standard question 'Do you like Mahler')

I hope you don't like Dittersdorf.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Welcome, Discobole!

--Bruce