Blind comparison : R. Schumann, Symphony no. 4

Started by Discobole, February 19, 2012, 09:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 14, 2012, 09:11:04 AM
As promised in the Listening Thread:

AAARRRRGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

You will like my reaction to it, then? And I also always thought it was "the classic of classics".

QuoteA5: on the wrong headphones dense, thick... and some of that sticks. I imagine a big name orchestra with a big name guest conductor to play like this... in the 80s, maybe. / well played toward the end, amid a style that is no longer my cup of tea for Schumann, fine clip - but you hardly notice. / Star Wars / _____ / full bodied, smooth romantic -- yet with momentum. Wagnerian moments "inapproprite" but totally awesome.

Not a favorite, either... but with greatness somewhere in there.

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 14, 2012, 09:02:35 AM
So the other one I really liked was the Keilberth. Just looking for it on amazon now, but cannot find it!!! Any suggestions?

Same here (except our first choice differed) -- if you can find it somewhere, let me know.

madaboutmahler

Poor Sarge..... :D

Quote from: jlaurson on March 14, 2012, 09:16:17 AM
Same here (except our first choice differed) -- if you can find it somewhere, let me know.

Will do... may be rather hard to find. If you find it first, please do let me know. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sadko on March 13, 2012, 05:03:25 PM
3rd - D5 : Rundfunk-Sinfonie-Orchester Leipzig, Hermann Abendroth (Edel/Berlin Classics, 31/3/1956)

Interesting. The Bronze Medal goes to Abendroth, a performance I own but have never listening too. I'll have to rectify that.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 14, 2012, 09:11:04 AM
As promised in the Listening Thread:

AAARRRRGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sarge

It wasn't me! Not guilty!  8)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: arkadin on March 14, 2012, 08:41:03 AM
i didn't understand how you calculated it
Somewhere earlier, the name of the system was explained. If you look at the second table (of preferences), you will see that A5 beat all the others. This was done as if there were only two choices and the one that was ranked highter won. It was not just an accumulation of the scores. Does that help? Or do you need more precision?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

arkadin

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 14, 2012, 10:17:03 AM
Somewhere earlier, the name of the system was explained. If you look at the second table (of preferences), you will see that A5 beat all the others. This was done as if there were only two choices and the one that was ranked highter won. It was not just an accumulation of the scores. Does that help? Or do you need more precision?

ok, thanks

DavidW

I feel bad that I was too busy to contribute to the final round, but I look forward to listening to that king of recordings.  I've never head it before!