Started by snyprrr, February 20, 2012, 08:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Leo Brouwer (1939*) is our best known Cuban Composer:

http://chevalierdesaintgeorges.homestead.com/Brouwer.html

Here's two performances of his best known work, The Black Decameron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50huUs4jXbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsA0RW7ADxg

I do take some pride in presenting a Composer known mainly for the guitar, as, he presented to me a model to aspire to. Actually, I currently have no recordings, so, I turn it over to you...

snyprrr

Really? :'(

There's a new cd of String Quartets that I'd like to check out if I could verify its availability (it's featured in the first link).

kentel

Brouwer is undoubtedly the most inspired guitar composer I've ever heard - and I'm not a big fan of guitar music. But there's an entire world in Brouwer's guitar.

I'm not entirely up to date here, but the last time I checked his worklist, he had written 5 guitar concertos which are the core of his work. They're all wonderful, but I would recommand in the first place the nrs 3,4 & 5. Not easy to find though. My favorite is probably his guitar quartet "Acerca del cielo, el aire y la sonrisa" an eerie piece which sounds like a rain fall.

He also wrote more distanciated but very interesting cycles for solo guitar, among which the fascinating Decameron Negro and the Estudios Sencillos. I also love the Rito de las Orishas, the Guitar Sonata and the two Paisajes Cubanos.

Shrunk

Quote from: kentel on February 22, 2012, 01:46:24 PM
I'm not entirely up to date here, but the last time I checked his worklist, he had written 5 guitar concertos which are the core of his work.

My guitar teacher says its actually at least 13, though he was also not sure if the number had grown since he last checked.  Staggering.

snyprrr

Quote from: kentel on February 22, 2012, 01:46:24 PM
Brouwer is undoubtedly the most inspired guitar composer I've ever heard - and I'm not a big fan of guitar music. But there's an entire world in Brouwer's guitar.

I'm not entirely up to date here, but the last time I checked his worklist, he had written 5 guitar concertos which are the core of his work. They're all wonderful, but I would recommand in the first place the nrs 3,4 & 5. Not easy to find though. My favorite is probably his guitar quartet "Acerca del cielo, el aire y la sonrisa" an eerie piece which sounds like a rain fall.

He also wrote more distanciated but very interesting cycles for solo guitar, among which the fascinating Decameron Negro and the Estudios Sencillos. I also love the Rito de las Orishas, the Guitar Sonata and the two Paisajes Cubanos.

I'm a big fan of guitar quartets. I'm a big disappointed fan in actual CDS of guitar quartet music,... however, I digress,... I must look this piece up,... I am currently in a madness for classical guitar special effects. I ask you, what do you think of this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmv_BXYLku0

kentel

Quote from: snyprrr on February 22, 2012, 08:27:11 PM
I'm a big fan of guitar quartets. I'm a big disappointed fan in actual CDS of guitar quartet music,... however, I digress,... I must look this piece up,... I am currently in a madness for classical guitar special effects. I ask you, what do you think of this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmv_BXYLku0

I'm not really fond of this one : it's technically impressive, but I find it too dry and experimental . However, you would certainly love Acerca del cielo - unfortunately I couldn't find any decent recording on YouTube. If you're on the NML, you should fine a great one there. In this piece, Brouwer uses sonorities like the ones you hear in the Kampela piece, minus the percussive effects.

kentel

Quote from: Shrunk on February 22, 2012, 03:23:52 PM
My guitar teacher says its actually at least 13, though he was also not sure if the number had grown since he last checked.  Staggering.

Thank you for the update :) So that's 8 more than I thought... Have they been recorded somewhere ? Brouwer's concertos are pretty hard to find...

Pessoa

Nice to find Leo Brouwer here. I have several recordings of his output for guitar played by different guitarists. I enjoy his work, and contemporary guitar on general the whole.

snyprrr

Quote from: Pessoa on November 12, 2013, 01:16:38 PM
Nice to find Leo Brouwer here. I have several recordings of his output for guitar played by different guitarists. I enjoy his work, and contemporary guitar on general the whole.

The guitar tone has worked well for the Modern interpretations, of which Brouwer has a few misterioso-type pieces.

Karl Henning

A friend brought me to CDs of the guitar solo music, and it is beautiful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Hi, Karl !  ;)

A superb composer, that's for sure. I think my cds are mostly of concertos - I should go downstairs to check but right now the dog is sleeping on my lap  ::)

JBS

Quote from: André on December 25, 2018, 04:29:07 PM
Hi, Karl !  ;)

A superb composer, that's for sure. I think my cds are mostly of concertos - I should go downstairs to check but right now the dog is sleeping on my lap  ::)

And of course one must let sleeping dogs lie...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Christo

I own the first six guitar concertos on disc and they're all superb. Another favourite are the Retrats Catalans, echoing the 'poetry' of Mompou and 'rhytm' of Gaudí:
https://www.youtube.com/v/KUGCZyJQBxs
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Seems this thread really ought to be Brouwer's brouwerij
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Christo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 26, 2018, 03:45:09 AM
Seems this thread really ought to be Brouwer's brouwerij
Good that you know!  ;D "Brouwer" is indeed a common Dutch name: 'Brewer' and a brewery is a 'brouwerij'. Brouwer's paternal grandfather (his other grandfather being the famous Ernesto Lecuona!) came from [Dutch] Indonesia.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

The french equivalent is also common as a name: Brasseur, as in Pierre Brasseur.

Back to Brouwer: I particularly like his Concerto de Toronto and the Concerto de Liège

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Is that also called the Concerto de "Lieja"? I like the composition. I think it is based upon his Nuevo Estudio Sensillos No.8 Omaggio a Villa-Lobos.

Quote from: André on December 26, 2018, 10:05:54 AM
The french equivalent is also common as a name: Brasseur, as in Pierre Brasseur.

Back to Brouwer: I particularly like his Concerto de Toronto and the Concerto de Liège

Christo

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on July 01, 2020, 11:08:30 AM
Is that also called the Concerto de "Lieja"? I like the composition. I think it is based upon his Nuevo Estudio Sensillos No.8 Omaggio a Villa-Lobos.
Didn't know about the pieces it is based on, but "Lieja" is indeed Spanish for Liège (Luik in Dutch, Lüttich in German).  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Yes that's a very good album. Since last year, I have been listening these (relatively) new recordings. His concerti are getting better and better.

Quote from: Christo on December 25, 2018, 11:32:41 PM
I own the first six guitar concertos on disc and they're all superb. Another favourite are the Retrats Catalans, echoing the 'poetry' of Mompou and 'rhytm' of Gaudí:
https://www.youtube.com/v/KUGCZyJQBxs

Symphonic Addict

I'm very happy because of having discovered a fantastic composer today. These two concertos have impressed me powerfully, above all the Concierto de Lieja. God, what a wonderful composition this is. One of my greatest discoveries this year.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky