Peter Racine Fricker(1920-1990): Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, February 22, 2012, 04:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

(For notes please see the introduction to the William Wordsworth Catalogue)

PETER RACINE FRICKER: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1946:       Adagio
1946-47:  Symphonietta
                 Suite for School Orchestra
1948:      Rondo Scherzoso: 18 minutes
1948-49: Symphony No.1, op.9: 28 minutes     + (First Edition LP)
1949:      Prelude, Elegy and Finale for String Orchestra, op.10   + (Pye LP)
1949-50: Concerto for Violin and Small Orchestra(Violin Concerto No. 1): 20 minutes  + (Lyrita cd)
1950:      Concertante for Cor Anglais and String orchestra(Concertante No.1), op.13: 12 minutes
1950-51: Symphony No.2, op.14: 30 minutes  + (EMI cd)
1951:      Concertante No.2 for Three Pianos, Strings and Timpani, op.15: 14 minutes
                Ballet "Canterbury Prologue", op.16
1952-53: Viola Concerto, op.18: 27 minutes
1952-54: Concerto for Piano and Small Orchestra, op.19: 26 minutes
1953-54: Violin Concerto No.2(Rhapsodia Concertante): 22 minutes
1954:      Dance Scene, op.22: 11 minutes
1955:      Litany for Double String Orchestra, op.26: 16 minutes
                Musick's Empire for chorus and small orchestra, op.27
1956:     Orchestral Fantasie: 2 minutes
1958:     Oratorio "The Vision of Judgment" for tenor, soprano, chorus and orchestra,  op.29: 50 minutes
               Waltz for Restricted Orchestra
               Comedy Overture, op.32: 4 minutes
1959:      Cantata 'Colet' for chorus, soloists and orchestra: 13 minutes
               Toccata for Piano and Orchestra, op.33: 12 minutes
1960:     Symphony No.3, op.36: 31 minutes
1961-62: Cantata for Tenor and Chamber Ensemble, op.37
1963:     'O Longs Desirs'-Five Songs for Soprano and Orchestra, op.39: 21 minutes
1964-66: Symphony No.4, op.43: 34 minutes
1965:     Four Songs for High Voice and orchestra, op.42a: 7 minutes
1966:     Three Scenes, op.45: 16 minutes
1967:     Seven Counterpoints, op.47: 18 minutes
1967:     Magnificat for soprano, contralto, tenor, chorus and orchestra, op.50: 23 minutes
1968:     Concertante No.4 for Flute, Oboe, Violin and Strings, op.52: 12 minutes
1971:     Nocturne for Chamber Orchestra, op.63: 9 minutes    (Cheltenham Festival)
1972:     Introitus, op.66: 11 minutes
1976:     Symphony No.5 for Organ and Orchestra, op.74
1976-77: Sinfonia for Seventeen Wind Instruments (In Memoriam Benjamin Britten), op.76: 11 minutes   
1979:     Laudi Concertante for Organ and Orchestra, op.80: 32 minutes
1982:     Rondeaux for Horn and Orchestra, op.87: 20 minutes    (Cheltenham Festival)
1984:     Oratorio "Whispers At These Curtains" for baritone, boys' choir, chorus and orchestra, op.88: 50 minutes   (Three Choirs' Festival)
1985:     Concertino for St.Paul's, op.91: 20 minutes
1986:     Concerto for Orchestra, op.93: 18 minutes   (Cheltenham Festival)
1987-88: Walk By Quiet Water, op.96: 11 minutes
1989:     Piano Concerto No.2, op.97: 26 minutes
              With Joyance, op.100: 11 minutes

cilgwyn

Whoa! I just thought I'd post here after listening to a cd-r of Fricker's Symphonies 1 & 3. I was expecting a slightly longer thread!! ??? ;D For some reason these works finally 'clicked' with me. I enjoyed (if that's the right word?) both. Powerful,brooding music. A shame the third isn't available on cd. I did know this from a cassette tape I made of a R3 broadcast,some years ago.

cilgwyn

Oops,just realised this appears to be a catalogue,not a thread!! Bit late to create one now. Maybe tomorrow and move this there??!! ::) I wonder if anyone else cares for this composer here? I know Dundonnell is an admirer;but he doesn't post here,anymore!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 17, 2017, 01:36:12 PM
Oops,just realised this appears to be a catalogue,not a thread!! Bit late to create one now. Maybe tomorrow and move this there??!! ::) I wonder if anyone else cares for this composer here? I know Dundonnell is an admirer;but he doesn't post here,anymore!
I like Symphony 2 - it has a terrific, very exciting, final section:
[asin]B00006YX78[/asin]
This CD is now prohibitively expensive but all three works are excellent. The craggy Orr Symphony was a great discovery for me, reminding me of the music of Havergal Brian and Carlos Chavez. The Simpson is my favourite of his cycle too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 17, 2017, 01:27:48 PM
Whoa! I just thought I'd post here after listening to a cd-r of Fricker's Symphonies 1 & 3. I was expecting a slightly longer thread!! ??? ;D For some reason these works finally 'clicked' with me. I enjoyed (if that's the right word?) both. Powerful,brooding music. A shame the third isn't available on cd. I did know this from a cassette tape I made of a R3 broadcast,some years ago.

Thanks to YouTube and a certain "James Stuart," the Third is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Q9VesoqB_ds

All the symphonies can be previewed on YouTube.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

cilgwyn

I've just downloaded the Second symphony from the Art Music Forum (AMF). The sound quality is very good. I did have it on a cd-r before,but I'm afraid that apapart from No 3,which I quite liked,at first,anyway (when I first taped it off the radio) Fricker's music hasn't really done much for me. Anyway,there I was with a pile of cd-r's and I thought I'll try this one of Fricker 2 & 3,not expecting to keep it on for very long. Suddenly I'm hooked! This sort of music is usually a bit too thorny for me;but now I'm thinking,hm.......I like this. Well,maybe not 'like'? It's not exactly music to love........but has a powerful,brooding quality and momentum to it which keeps me listening. How I get to liking Bainton's third to suddenly liking Fricker I really don't know? Maybe it's a miracle?!! ;D Seriously,I'm going to put this on again. I've run out of cd-r's right now;but I can see some Fricker burning coming this way!!
Yes,I'm aware that the Orr symphony has some big fans. I believe Johan is one? Time to get to know it,I suppose?

The Orr Symphony is available at the AMF,so I'm downloading it again. I did have it on my pc! There are two other Orr symphonie,but I'm given to understand that the one on the emi cd is the one that is regardest as the finest. I may very well be wrong! (I downloaded them,anyway!! ;D).

Okay,now for some more Fricker to lull me off to sleep!!! ??? :o ;D

cilgwyn

When i saw this I thought,'Oh great,I can get this on one of those Louisville reissue cds! :) Unfortunately,it appears that the reissue series fizzled  out out before this one could appear. I'll have to make do with my cd-r after all,it seems. The sound quality is very good though,and I've coupled it with his power packed third symphony!

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on January 17, 2017, 02:04:03 PM
I like Symphony 2 - it has a terrific, very exciting, final section:
[asin]B00006YX78[/asin]
This CD is now prohibitively expensive but all three works are excellent. The craggy Orr Symphony was a great discovery for me, reminding me of the music of Havergal Brian and Carlos Chavez. The Simpson is my favourite of his cycle too.
I just made a cd-r of Symphony No 2 (and No 1) from the downloads library at the AFM Forum. It's in very good sound quality,and the finale is every bit as exciting and terrific as you said it was!!

cilgwyn

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 19, 2017, 11:45:00 AM
Not the performance on the emi cd,I might add!
Glad you think so - the last few minutes of Symphony 2 are terrific.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I'm lstening to  a cd-r I made of Peter Racine Fricker's First Symphony. This is music with a stern demeanour;but it's perfectly approachable in it's own way;and often quite thrilling. I like his slow movements,particularly. They have a haunting quality,rising to powerful cimaxes,which really reach into the 'corners' of your mind. On first encounter his orchestration might appear a little grey and severe,but it's actually quite varied. I like the way he uses a piano as part of the orchestra in places,for example. His Second Symphony follows.I wish a recording label was interested in making some new recordings! :( This is impressive music,imho!

cilgwyn

This is not the kind of music I usually listen to. In terms of composers in my collection,Mennin is the closest in terms of the actual 'soundworld'. This is 'tough' music (at least to me,it is! ;D) but it has a degree of lyricism,albeit a severe form,which I can respond to. Also,I do feel that,all the time I am listening,this is music that is definitely going somewhere. I don't feel any of those moments of aimless,note spinning that have me reaching for the 'Stop' button.

cilgwyn

I've just been listening again to the final pages of the third movement of the Second Symphony. This has to be one of the most viscerally exciting finales to a British symphony. The second movement of the first symphony is another highlight for me. I find it very absorbing;building up (as it does) to a very powerful climax,topped by loud thwacks on the drum,before dying down to glacial stillness. I have had both symphonies on repeat for a while,now,and the more I listen the more I hear. Not my usual territory,but I do feel these symphonies are well worth my time. Also,despite the severity and steeliness,they do seem to open up remarkably after a few listens. I can see why Dundonnell admires then now.
This is my third post,on this thread,in a row,so I better leave it that for now!! ::) ;D Oh,but I've still got the third symphony to listen to!! ::) ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 30, 2017, 10:17:02 AM
I've just been listening again to the final pages of the third movement of the Second Symphony. This has to be one of the most viscerally exciting finales to a British symphony. The second movement of the first symphony is another highlight for me. I find it very absorbing;building up (as it does) to a very powerful climax,topped by loud thwacks on the drum,before dying down to glacial stillness. I have had both symphonies on repeat for a while,now,and the more I listen the more I hear. Not my usual territory,but I do feel these symphonies are well worth my time. Also,despite the severity and steeliness,they do seem to open up remarkably after a few listens. I can see why Dundonnell admires then now.
This is my third post,on this thread,in a row,so I better leave it that for now!! ::) ;D Oh,but I've still got the third symphony to listen to!! ::) ;D
I think the Mennin comparison is appropriate. I also had the RCA LP of Symphony 1 which I enjoyed and wish it was on CD. I'd have replied before but am on holiday in Kiev/Kyiv.

Rons_talking

I greatly admire his music though It's been very difficult to locate. He has, what I'd call "lyrical intensity."  ::)

cilgwyn

Intense lyricism?! :-\ ;D Fricker's music isn't the kind I usually respond to. Mennin is the closest comparison I could find in my collection. I was thinking about this;and for all his apparent (at first listen) 'greyness' and abrasiveness;his orchestration is often suprisingly varied. His use of a piano as part of the orchestra in the First symphony and percussion. There are exciting thwacks from the drums at points. The faster sections are often quite thrilling in almost visceral kind of way. The finale of the Second Symphony,in particular,is one of the most thrilling I have heard in a British symphony. The third Symphony was the first Fricker I ever heard,back in the mid nineties (I think?). I taped the Radio 3 broadcast,and listened to the cassette a few times. I think Arnell's Piano Concerto was on the other side!! Listening to this after hearing the first two symphonies,it seems like a step down in some ways;even so there is an intensity to the string writing and defiant grandeur which I do find quite invigorating. Must listen again!! In a perfect world Bis would give us a cycle (But they won't even gisa Rosenberg! ::) ;D)

cilgwyn

Exciting news for British music lovers! I picked this up via Albion,at the AMF forum. Lyrita will be releasing recordings of Peter Racine FRicker's Symphonies 1-4,as a 2 cd set! I would be grateful if someone could please post a picture of the forthcoming Lyrita release. I think Amazon uk have one up on their site. I blocked off Amazon and ebay with software (passwords in the attic!!) to help me save!! :-[ ::) :(

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 23, 2017, 02:59:30 PM
For release on October 6th! :) :

Thanks cilgwyn. I'll be very interested to hear a new performance of Symphony 2 and an alternative version to the recording on RCA Gold Seal of Fricker's First Symphony.

vandermolen

Someone very kindly made me a CD copy of Ruth Gipps's wonderful 4th Symphony some years ago. I only just realised that the CD also contained a recording of Fricker's a Third Symphony which I recently listened to with much interest. It is a characteristically unsmiling and rather relentless score, reminding me a bit of Peter Mennin's symphonies but it has a very fine conclusion which put a kind of retrospective glow over the whole work. I may well investigate the forthcoming Lyrita set.