Leevi Madetoja - Symphony No.2 in E-flat major, Op.35 (1918)

Started by W.A. Mozart, April 25, 2023, 07:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate this piece?

Horrible
1 (14.3%)
Quite bad
0 (0%)
Not so good and not so bad
1 (14.3%)
Good
1 (14.3%)
Very good
0 (0%)
Excellent
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

W.A. Mozart

How do you rate this piece?

Orchestra: Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: John Storgårds

Daverz

Madetoja is well worth the time of anyone who loves Late Romantic symphonies, and the Ondine recordings are really lovely.  Again, to rate any music all that is required is to listen to it.

Symphonic Addict

A substantial work in Finnish symphonism and one of considerable depth since Madetoja composed it remembering his brother who died in the WWI and it reflects sorrow and longing. My favorite of his symphonies. From the very opening one is hooked by that wistful melody.

Someone voted "Horrible". Is the symphony that bad?  ::)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Daverz on April 25, 2023, 10:07:40 AMAgain, to rate any music all that is required is to listen to it.

I'm not a native english speaker. Are you saying that my question is formulated in a wrong way?

I transalate "How do you rate this piece?" to "What is your rating of this piece?". Is this not correct?

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Løvfald on April 25, 2023, 01:38:26 PMSomeone voted "Horrible". Is the symphony that bad?  ::)

In an other forum I've learned that "horrible" votes are not rare. Almost every piece has its own haters. Only widely reconized masterpieces, like for example the ninth symphony of Beethoven, don't receive "horrible" votes. Even the first symphony of Beethoven has some haters.

DavidW

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 25, 2023, 04:46:44 PMIn an other forum I've learned that "horrible" votes are not rare. Almost every piece has its own haters. Only widely reconized masterpieces, like for example the ninth symphony of Beethoven, don't receive "horrible" votes. Even the first symphony of Beethoven has some haters.

I'm pretty sure Florestan would downvote Beethoven's ninth! ;D

I was once at a concert with a wonderful performance of Mozart's K297b Sinfonia Concertante.  Tepid applause.  The person sitting next to me said that he wished that they had stuck to Beethoven. :'(

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 25, 2023, 04:46:44 PMIn an other forum I've learned that "horrible" votes are not rare. Almost every piece has its own haters. Only widely reconized masterpieces, like for example the ninth symphony of Beethoven, don't receive "horrible" votes. Even the first symphony of Beethoven has some haters.

Different ears/brains, different reactions and feelings. Actually, one should only care for what one hears or feels regardless if other people have a similar impression or not.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 25, 2023, 04:44:45 PMI'm not a native english speaker. Are you saying that my question is formulated in a wrong way?

I transalate "How do you rate this piece?" to "What is your rating of this piece?". Is this not correct?

What I mean to say is: you don't need others to tell you the quality of a piece of music, you just have to listen to it yourself.  If it's just meant to start a conversation, I would start with your own impressions.

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on April 25, 2023, 05:30:19 PMI'm pretty sure Florestan would downvote Beethoven's ninth! ;D

I was going to do exactly that. Not quite horrible but hugely overrated, especially the last movement, which Beethoven himself labeled as "a mistake". 😁
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

relm1

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Daverz on April 27, 2023, 02:06:13 PMWhat I mean to say is: you don't need others to tell you the quality of a piece of music, you just have to listen to it yourself.  If it's just meant to start a conversation, I would start with your own impressions.

Yes, this kind of threads are thought to create discussions around pieces and composers and to allow people to discover new pieces. The poll is only an aside thing.

It's implicit that you can use this kind of discussions to write everything you want about the piece, reccommend some recordings, and things like that.

The reason for which I often don't share my opinion about the piece is that I still have to listen to it and I open the discussion to read information about it and see what other people think about it.

vandermolen

I think that No.2 is the best and most deeply felt of the three although I enjoy them all.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).