Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Composers  (Read 49133 times)

Online foxandpeng

• Currently Listening to:
    Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
Re: Top 25 Favorite Composers
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2021, 07:38:46 AM »
Always encouraging to see someone who has such a great appreciation for the wide variety of fine music written during the 20th and 21st centuries. The 20th century - well, the first 60 or so years of it, anyway - is my “desert island” period of classical music. Though, I certainly wouldn’t want to be without the music of the Classical and Romantic eras!

I do love it. My entry point to classical music was the same as most people of my generation and social background for whom such music wasn't usual or particularly encouraged ... Mozart, Beethoven, Handel, Vivaldi, and later, Bruckner, Schubert, Dvorak, and their ilk. I guess in the same way that lots of people who read poetry are initially introduced to Romantic era poets before finding that others also exist.

Although these were the gateway for me, it's the last century or so where I find almost all my current listening. Same is probably true of preferred poetry, actually, but less exclusively.
“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Top 25 Favorite Composers
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2021, 07:39:27 AM »
Though, I certainly wouldn’t want to be without the music of the Classical and Romantic eras!

Zero risk of that 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot