Top 25 Favorite Composers

Started by Winky Willy, March 01, 2012, 12:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Wanderer on October 01, 2016, 11:21:59 PM
I disagree with that attitude. Threads don't have an expiration date. Incidentally, it'd be nice if newbies searched the forum, resurrected old threads and added their opinions about a previously discussed topic there, instead of starting new ones all the time.

Some polls clearly DO have an expiration date. That's kind of what got my attention, the fact that a poll thread was resurrected and the poll had closed 8.5 years ago.

Plus, anyone who did vote on a poll however many years ago that's still open, and has changed their mind, can't express their new opinion.

There's a reason why these polls have been dormant for years and years. I'm not against threads in general being resurrected if it's an ongoing topic, but when it comes to polls, I think it'd be far better to make a fresh one and perhaps link/refer back to the old one. It would then be possible to compare old results to new ones.

Polls are snapshots in time. That's what they're supposed to be. After all, we don't keep accumulating votes from previous elections.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: vandermolen on October 01, 2016, 11:29:33 PM
Nice to see Yoshimatsu mentioned as I very much enjoy his music.

Thanks - I really like Yoshimatsu's music, especially that brilliant Symphony #1!
Im very glad you like him too - I appreciate your taste and would certainly trust any of your recommendations :)

Wanderer

Quote from: ørfeo on October 01, 2016, 11:34:58 PM
...when it comes to polls, I think it'd be far better to make a fresh one and perhaps link/refer back to the old one.

When it comes to polls, I agree (not applicable, however, when one simply wants to add his opinion to the discussion which may have been going on even after the votes have closed and not necessarily start a new poll).

My response was to your comment about "resurrecting threads that are years old" - like this one.

Madiel

*shrug* We're in The Polling Station. All of the threads that I've seen Alberich resurrecting are in The Polling Station. As far as I'm concerned they're all polls.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Wanderer

Quote from: ørfeo on October 02, 2016, 12:12:40 AM
As far as I'm concerned they're all polls.

Irrelevant, either way. What I stressed and stand by is the legitimacy of resurrecting old threads in general, which I assume you have no real objection to.

vandermolen

Quote from: Conor71 on October 01, 2016, 11:43:05 PM
Thanks - I really like Yoshimatsu's music, especially that brilliant Symphony #1!
Im very glad you like him too - I appreciate your taste and would certainly trust any of your recommendations :)
:)
I also like Yoshimatsu's Symphony 1 'Kamui-Chikap' and my other two favourites are Symphony 2 (the first one I heard) and Symphony 3. I have two different recordings of the first two symphonies. As with Hovhaness (another composer I admire) critics can be quite disparaging about their music but I derive much emotional pleasure from the symphonies of both composers and rate them highly.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

I am always for fewer threads. Especially in such "light" polling/lists stuff it makes no sense to make a forum even more unwieldy by more of similar/identical threads. I think the cluttering with 5 2-page "favorite x"-threads is worse than one such 10-page-thread. So there is nothing wrong with "resurrecting" them.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: ørfeo on October 02, 2016, 12:12:40 AM
*shrug* We're in The Polling Station. All of the threads that I've seen Alberich resurrecting are in The Polling Station. As far as I'm concerned they're all polls.

I wasn't aware it was a criminal offence to resurrect polls. Go on, sue me. One would think that these polls would have been removed out of existence if it really were so wrong to bring them back.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

San Antone

Quote from: Alberich on October 02, 2016, 02:13:11 AM
I wasn't aware it was a criminal offence to resurrect polls. Go on, sue me. One would think that these polls would have been removed out of existence if it really were so wrong to bring them back.

I am glad you resurrected this thread and generally like to see an old thread get new activity.  I just bumped an old thread, myself: "Your five favorite Mahler Movements" (or something like that).  No harm; no foul.

;)

Wanderer

Quote from: sanantonio on October 02, 2016, 02:18:22 AM
I am glad you resurrected this thread and generally like to see an old thread get new activity.

+1

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: sanantonio on October 02, 2016, 02:18:22 AM
I am glad you resurrected this thread and generally like to see an old thread get new activity.  I just bumped an old thread, myself: "Your five favorite Mahler Movements" (or something like that).  No harm; no foul.

;)

Grazie, friend!  :)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Madiel

Quote from: Alberich on October 02, 2016, 02:13:11 AM
I wasn't aware it was a criminal offence to resurrect polls. Go on, sue me.

Your commitment to melodrama does you credit.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: vandermolen on October 02, 2016, 01:39:06 AM
:)
I also like Yoshimatsu's Symphony 1 'Kamui-Chikap' and my other two favourites are Symphony 2 (the first one I heard) and Symphony 3. I have two different recordings of the first two symphonies. As with Hovhaness (another composer I admire) critics can be quite disparaging about their music but I derive much emotional pleasure from the symphonies of both composers and rate them highly.

For sure - I don't pay too much attention to the critics and Im not ashamed to admit I love both Composers.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Let me see if I can narrow things down to 25

Boulez
Ligeti
Liza Lim
Brett Dean
Thomas Adès
Harrison Birtwistle
Sibelius
John Cage
Morton Feldman
Olga Neuwirth
Oliver Knussen
Isabel Mundry
Anthony Pateras
Perotin
Dai Fujikura
Toshio Hosokawa
Philippe Manoury
Hildegard
Beat Furrer
Mozart
Xenakis
Salvatore Sciarrino
Rebecca Saunders
Brian Ferneyhough
Debussy
Helen Grime
Charlotte Bray
Monteverdi
Gloria Coates
Takemitsu
Berio
Dutilleux
Bruno Mantovani
Matthias Pintscher
William Byrd
Gerard Grisey
Hugues Dufourt
Ginastera
Pierre Henry
Elliott Carter
Pauline Oliveros

I'm well over the silly limit but I just love them all so much!

North Star

Very nice list indeed, that, Jessop. And yeah, 25 really is a silly number - it's too much for just the most essential core favourites, but not enough for a useful representation of a wider selection.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: North Star on October 03, 2016, 02:20:51 AM
Very nice list indeed, that, Jessop. And yeah, 25 really is a silly number - it's too much for just the most essential core favourites, but not enough for a useful representation of a wider selection.

That list IS of my 'core favourites' :P

amw

• Beethoven
  • Schumann
  • Schubert
  • Brahms
  • Bartók
  • Bach
  • Mozart
  • Haydn
  • Chopin
  • Dvořák
  • Cage
  • Debussy
  • Stravinsky
  • Ligeti
  • Holliger
  • Sciarrino
  • Barrett (R)
  • Finnissy
  • Webern
  • Stockhausen
  • Martinů
  • Ferneyhough
  • Fauré
  • Grisey
  • Feldman

In order, but I'll admit that order becomes pretty arbitrary closer to the end.

Also, massive gap between the top 2 and the rest, as anyone who's followed my listening habits around here can attest.

The rest of the core favourites, roughly in order. So ones nearer the top are more likely to eventually break into the top 25. Put together, I guess these are "my top 51 composers"

Nono
Berio
Saunders (R)
Medtner
Ferrari
Prokofiev
Mendelssohn
Carter
Rădulescu
Lachenmann
Roslavets
Gerhard
Lutosławski
Schoenberg
Janáček
Skalkottas
Poulenc
Tchaikovsky
Ustvolskaya
Xenakis
Poppe
Fullman
Kurtág
Bruckner
Dutilleux
Szymanowski

nathanb

Quote from: jessop on October 03, 2016, 02:10:11 AM
Let me see if I can narrow things down to 25

Boulez
Ligeti
Liza Lim
Brett Dean
Thomas Adès
Harrison Birtwistle
Sibelius
John Cage
Morton Feldman
Olga Neuwirth
Oliver Knussen
Isabel Mundry
Anthony Pateras
Perotin
Dai Fujikura
Toshio Hosokawa
Philippe Manoury
Hildegard
Beat Furrer
Mozart
Xenakis
Salvatore Sciarrino
Rebecca Saunders
Brian Ferneyhough
Debussy
Helen Grime
Charlotte Bray
Monteverdi
Gloria Coates
Takemitsu
Berio
Dutilleux
Bruno Mantovani
Matthias Pintscher
William Byrd
Gerard Grisey
Hugues Dufourt
Ginastera
Pierre Henry
Elliott Carter
Pauline Oliveros

I'm well over the silly limit but I just love them all so much!

Well for starters you can definitely remove Grime and Bray because they have about a disc worth of material and you're just in an awkward honeymoon phase ;)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: nathanb on October 03, 2016, 08:14:50 AM
Well for starters you can definitely remove Grime and Bray because they have about a disc worth of material and you're just in an awkward honeymoon phase ;)
................ :P

nathanb

Quote from: jessop on October 03, 2016, 01:55:37 PM
................ :P

I'll pick 25 from your list for you if that'd be easier for you.