my favorite "live" SHOSTAKOVICH-Piano Trio Nr.2 - Greenwich Trio

Started by Scion7, March 08, 2012, 04:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRltNxBvMDg

When I found this last summer, I was hooked (despite the over-dramatic posing they do after it's over).  Everything this trio should be. This is the 4th movement but the entire TV concert is posted in different segments.  This Slovenian TV broadcast is much better than the one they did out of London doing the same piece.  I transferred the concert to DVD and played this movement the past two Halloweens just before dark.   

On CD, I have the Stern/Ma/Ax .
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

TheGSMoeller

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
I only have the Ma/Ax/Stern recording myself, I listen to it quite often, plus, I loves me some DSCH chamber.

carlos

Shostakovich-Milos Sadlo-David Oistrakh (from the 40s) If you only want hi-fi recordings, forget it. But if you want great versions, you'll not find anything better.
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

Scion7

Quote from: carlos on March 08, 2012, 12:22:01 PM
Shostakovich-Milos Sadlo-David Oistrakh (from the 40s) If you only want hi-fi recordings, forget it. But if you want great versions, you'll not find anything better.
? There's video of this? 
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

carlos

Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

Scion7