does anyone have this LP? Berlioz Requiem, Munch + BSO

Started by Scion7, March 14, 2012, 09:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

click

Beautiful artwork, but have never heard this recording.
If you have the LP, I would like to see a snap of the back cover, please.

Segítség!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Karl Henning

No, but I exult in the CD reissue of this recording.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Scion7

I may have to grab it, probably much cheaper than finding a high-grade LP at auction online.
Just wonder what the flip-side sleeve has on it - probably just text.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Sergeant Rock

I have an LP box with the Requiem conducted by Munch. Unfortunately it's a different label, different performance.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

listener

The cover shown is of the re-issue.   It came out originally in RCA's Soria series, since I have the cover the disc is somewhere under something.  I think the case had a plain back.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

val

I heard Berlioz Requiem for the first time in that version, Munch with Boston (RCA). For many years it was my favorite version, but in LP.

But I must admit that I changed my mind when I heard the other version of Munch with the Orchestra of the Bayerisches Runfunks and Peter Schreier. It is very slow, severe, much more impressive. The Choirs are much better also. And the CD also includes a great version of Harold in Italy with a fabulous direction of Markevitch.

In one point I still prefer the version RCA: the Sanctus with Simoneau. It is unique.