Pogo plays Liszt's Piano Sonata

Started by Philoctetes, February 29, 2012, 06:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DieNacht

I stumbled across it some time ago & it´s an extremely unusual performance. But personally I must say that he somehow repeats himself and his massive mood too much here. A one-time listening for me ...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: DieNacht on February 29, 2012, 11:38:14 PM
I stumbled across it some time ago & it´s an extremely unusual performance. But personally I must say that he somehow repeats himself and his massive mood too much here. A one-time listening for me ...
Tempo may be a part of it. Richter performs it 7 minutes faster. Even Howard is faster in his series. Or does Pogo add repeats that they skip?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Philoctetes

Quote from: DieNacht on February 29, 2012, 11:38:14 PM

His performances are always pretty out there, but I always find those sort of interpretations to match well to my ears. He always seems so self-indulgent. It's immaculate.

Kontrapunctus

That performance was from 1993, well before he adopted his current penchant for glacial tempos. Today, I imagine a performance of it would last at least 45-50 minutes (I'm serious). There is a YT video of him playing Liszt's "Mephisto Waltz" in 2009 that lasts nearly 18 minutes--the norm is around 11-12 minutes! I know he's suffered two huge personal losses, his wife and his father, but something else must be going these days. He's simply not the same pianist he used to be.

springrite

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on March 11, 2012, 09:35:04 AM
That performance was from 1993, well before he adopted his current penchant for glacial tempos. Today, I imagine a performance of it would last at least 45-50 minutes (I'm serious). There is a YT video of him playing Liszt's "Mephisto Waltz" in 2009 that lasts nearly 18 minutes--the norm is around 11-12 minutes! I know he's suffered two huge personal losses, his wife and his father, but something else must be going these days. He's simply not the same pianist he used to be.

He must have confused Mephisto with Magarite.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.