Bohuslav Martinu - Sonata for flute, violin & piano (H. 254)

Started by AlexScriabin, September 18, 2013, 02:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexScriabin

I'm a pianist, and I've recently begun working on the Martinu Sonata for flute, violin and piano (H. 254, composed in 1937). I have a few questions about the piece, and I hope that someone might be familiar with Bohuslav Martinu's music -- and possibly with this particular piece -- and can help me out.

First, there appear to be misprints in the score I'm using (Bärenreiter #3326, 1959 edition). The corrections for several spots seem fairly obvious to me. However, there are several other places where it isn't clear exactly what notes Martinu intended, so I'd like to look at another source, preferably the manuscript.

Q1: Does anyone know where the MS (or a facsilime of the MS) is for this work?

Also, the Bärenreiter score has metronome markings at the start of each movement, but to me they seem "off" in relation to the tempo indications. I note that the metronome markings are within parentheses, which makes me wonder if these are Martinu's own, or if they are editorial.  (Martinu lived until 1959, the year this Bärenreiter edition was published.)

Q2: Does anyone know about metronome markings in Martinu's published scores?

If you can advise me on these matters, or can point me to a source with information, please let me know. 

Thanks!

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr