Started by Gurn Blanston, May 18, 2008, 06:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Proud humility

Dancing

No such thing as bad publicity...

MishaK

Quote from: Todd on May 29, 2013, 03:39:05 PM
Often (usually), these threads end up with almost every notable recording under the sun, so I'll just add mine, and it is one case where Furtwangler really does deliver superior results:

That's the one that made this piece click for me.

Mandryka

Quote from: MishaK on May 31, 2013, 05:32:45 AM
That's the one that made this piece click for me.

It's a good performance. Mengelberg recorded this symphony live and I think that's pretty good too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/4HdAGyvg7Xs
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

IfULikeMyPeruqPlizTellMe

There's no better conductor for Schubert as Wand. Krips is also interesting and gives a special 'Eclairage' to Schubert's Great

RJR

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 25, 2008, 08:31:08 AM
Can it not? While it isn't MY favorite, I hold it in very high esteem, and I can see it being a favorite of anyone who really appreciates transitional music, since it is so nicely on the cusp of the Classico-Romantic repertoire. Certainly the composers of the Romantic Era thought it was great, witness how Bruckner spent his life trying to recreate it... ;)

I know, I know. You wrote this opinion some five years ago. I just wanted to add that Bruckner didn't succeed in recreating Schubert's style one iota. Too heavy.

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Cleveland Orchestra/Dohnanyi - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 4th mvmt - Presto - Allegro assai / Recitative - Allegro assai

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 25, 2008, 09:10:06 AM
I had just finished listening to Bruckner 4 and 5 while at work that day.

What a gem of a quote! ;D

Yet again the usefulness of resurrecting old threads has been demonstrated.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Annie on August 19, 2013, 12:59:17 PM
Recordings that I like:
Abbado/COE, Bernstein/RCO, Wand/BPO
Recording that I want to spare time to listen to:
Davis/DS

I like Abbado /COE and especially Wand. Never heard Bernstein, nor Davis. I prefer Sinopoli to any of them.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bigshot

I'm working my way through three new box sets... Abbado, Wand and Walter. I listened to Schubert first, and I was surprised at how much better Wand and Walter are than Abbado. He plays all the notes right and has the right tempo, but there is no lilt or bounce to the light passages. Very straight. Not at all what I want in Schubert.

Daverz

Klemperer and Munch were the last recordings I listened to, and I greatly enjoyed both.  Another longtime fave is Konwitschny.

bigshot

Quote from: Annie on August 19, 2013, 01:17:31 PM
My view is, when you don't want heavy romanticism or Beethovenian overtunes he is the best choice amongst the ones I've acquired in time.

Too bad 90% of the Abbado box set consists of heavy romantic symphonies and Beethoven!

not edward

Not that I'd ever claim to be an authority on this work, but I never really clicked with it till I heard CSO/Giulini. Fabulous control of the work's architecture, delicious playing and superbly phrased long legato melodies (which really goes without saying given the conductor and orchestra), but definitely aware of the darker undercurrents that flow beneath the surface.

[asin]B004TNZVEY[/asin]
Now that I think about it, I'm really not sure why I've not bought the LA Phil box too.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music