Parlez Vous Francaix?

Started by snyprrr, March 26, 2012, 05:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 28, 2019, 02:42:54 AM
I don't have much by him in my collection but what I have I find very engaging. I like the title of this thread very much.
:)

I agree, Jeffrey. His music is full of such charm and authenticity.

SurprisedByBeauty

My Uncle, Harpsichordist: Session 001 (Jean Françaix)

https://ionarts.blogspot.com/2019/09/my-uncle-harpsichordist-session-001.html

JEAN FRANÇAIX (1912-1997), L'INSECTARIUM POUR CEMBALO: LA SCOLOPENDRE | DER TAUSENDFÜSSLER | THE SCOLOPENDRA (1:48
PERFORMANCE BY DETLEF GOETZ-LAURSON, 1980

SonicMan46

TTT - over 2 years dormant!  8)  Probably have not listened to Jean F. since or before that time?  At the moment I have 8 CDs of his works (long list HERE) - I've re-ordered the list under GENRE and have put in BOLD the works that are on the recordings below (to help me in making further selections?) - the only 'duplicated' discs are the bottom last two of chamber works - the Claris Ensemble is shorter @ 51 mins, so I could see culling out since the Gaudiers covered the same repertoire plus one more piece for 62 1/2 mins.  To date I've not bought any of his piano music, so suggestions welcome; I know that his vocal works have received some comment but I'd not be interested; however, there is MUCH interesting chamber compositions remaining, especially w/ intriguing combinations of wind instruments that would piqued my interest, so suggestions welcomed.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

You've certainly piqued my interest in Françaix again, Dave. I have several of the recordings you own (all four in first row to be exact), plus these two:

From my own recollection, he wrote in a Neoclassical style a la Stravinsky and Poulenc and basically stuck with this style throughout his compositional career. The adjectives "delightful" and "tuneful" often pop up in reviews of his music, but I imagine there's much more to it.

joachim

Jean Français has often composed music that can be described as "perky" or "light". But there are also much deeper works, such as the Apocalypse of Saint John, a "fantastic oratorio"

Mirror Image

Quote from: joachim on April 11, 2022, 02:48:46 AMBut there are also much deeper works, such as the Apocalypse of Saint John, a "fantastic oratorio"

Indeed! This one took me by surprise when I first heard it.