Composers you don't like

Started by Karl Henning, March 30, 2012, 11:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: xochitl on September 27, 2012, 06:52:05 PM
i dont generally like opera unless it's by Britten

Just gave you a standing ovation in my living room.

Mirror Image

Quote from: xochitl on September 27, 2012, 06:52:05 PM
i dont generally like opera unless it's by Britten

I can't say I'm a fan of Britten's operas. I listened to Peter Grimes a week or so ago and it didn't do much for me. Britten is a fine composer and one of my favorites, but I tend to look towards the other end of his output. My favorite Britten works are what I would call his 'war trilogy': Ballad of Heroes, Sinfonia da Requiem, and the War Requiem. These are some of the finest British works I've ever heard.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 27, 2012, 07:00:08 PMI can't say I'm a fan of Britten's operas. I listened to Peter Grimes a week or so ago and it didn't do much for me.

Are you familiar with Gloriana? Grimes didn't do much for me when I sampled it but Gloriana knocked my socks off - although that was a live (and very finely staged) performance. Since then, I return to the Chandos recording of the symphonic suite regularly.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Rinaldo on September 27, 2012, 07:36:43 PM
Are you familiar with Gloriana? Grimes didn't do much for me when I sampled it but Gloriana knocked my socks off - although that was a live (and very finely staged) performance. Since then, I return to the Chandos recording of the symphonic suite regularly.

Nope, haven't heard it yet. I have the two Britten Conducts Britten opera boxes and I really need to give the others a listen. I've just so much music I want to listen to instead of opera right now. If you're referring to that Gardner Britten recording on Chandos, then, yes, that's a good recording that I need to revisit at some point.

Mirror Image

Delius is the man!!!