Poll: Haydn String Quartets

Started by chasmaniac, April 04, 2012, 02:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's Your Favourite Opus?

54/5
71/4

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 04, 2012, 08:02:54 AM
:-\ Shouldn't this be in the polling section of the forum?

Haydn should never be shunted off to that this obscure, hidden corner of the forum   :(
Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 04, 2012, 08:07:18 AM
Haydn should never be shunted off to that this obscure, hidden corner of the forum   :(
Sarge

Almost by definition no spot where Haydn is to be found can be obscure or hidden.  (Although I grant that there are some corners of Haydn that are more obscure and hidden than others.)

Brahmsian

classicalgeek

Opus 64, with op. 64 no. 6 in E-flat being my favorite of that set.

My favorite of all?  I'd have to think about that...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 04, 2012, 08:35:37 AM
I voted for Opus 20!  8)

Good man. It deserves a vote. I was tempted myself.

Sarge

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 04, 2012, 08:37:57 AM
Good man. It deserves a vote. I was tempted myself.

Sarge

I voted for it because I love the Fuga Soggetti's (or Soggy Fugues, as I like to nickname them)  ;D

chasmaniac

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 04, 2012, 08:35:37 AM
I voted for Opus 20!  8)

A nod for 20. Good to see. And now I have company at table #64! Waiter! An allegro for my friend here!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 04, 2012, 08:39:31 AM....or Soggy Fugues, as I like to nickname them)  ;D

;D :D ;D

I think I'll listen to one now  8)

Sarge

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 04, 2012, 08:07:18 AM
Sarge

I know, but I don't make the rules. :D

TheGSMoeller

Op. 20 for this Monkey...

...mainly for the Fugue finales of 2, 5 & 6.

Mookalafalas

I guess the polling station was not the place for this thread to thrive...
  The general topic is "string quartets".  Seems like it should be a good place for general haydn SQ talk, but it appears I need to look elsewhere.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 09, 2014, 01:48:02 AM
I guess the polling station was not the place for this thread to thrive...
  The general topic is "string quartets".  Seems like it should be a good place for general haydn SQ talk, but it appears I need to look elsewhere.

I bet it will wake up now though thanks to you Al.....    ;)

Are you listening to the Buchberger SQ?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on August 09, 2014, 02:24:45 AM
I bet it will wake up now though thanks to you Al.....    ;)

Are you listening to the Buchberger SQ?

Yes! But that is not really why I sought out this thread.  I have it in good MP3, and like it's rough&ready energy and zeal--but am prejudiced in favor of playing actual CDs (although I do NOT believe that they are audibly better sounding).  I've ordered the big blue box, but it hasn't arrived yet.
    I've been playing the Konzerthaus Quartet versions from the Westminster 1 box, which, if I am not mistaken, you also own.  I was playing the 76, and love it. However, I don't know if that is because it is a great version, or if it is just one of the most approachable opera (is that the correct term here?).  I haven't played a lot of SQ music, and so am floundering a bit. I've been playing the "last 3 quartets" from the big Vivarte box (which you also have, no?) and love it, as well.  However, when I wander out into the sea of Haydn's SQs, I soon lose my bearings and get lost.  There are so many of them, and I don't really have the tools or background to understand them very well.   I can't distinguish between them, or really follow the larger form of the pieces.   :-[ 
  It's dinner time. I just had a big vodka, and my wife just called. She's picking me up to go out to eat. Anyway, I'd like to hear what you think about these. bye for now. 
It's all good...

Jo498

I voted 76, but I would hate to be restricted to one opus. My favorite quartet is op.76/5 (than probably 76/4).
Other favorites are 20, 64, but everything from op.20 through 76 should be mandatory for every friend of the genre and op.9 and 17 are very good and have some amazing pieces (the best known is probably d minor from op.9).
Even op. 1+2 are not only entertaining (although never less than that), e.g. the amazing "violin duet" in, I think op.1/3 and there is a nice variation movement in one of op.2.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 04, 2012, 09:12:21 AM
Op. 20 for this Monkey...

...mainly for the Fugue finales of 2, 5 & 6.

Alright, plus one Monkey Amphibian!   8)  Another vote for the 'soggy fugues'!  ;D

NB:  Post # 3K alert.

Karl Henning

Better familiarity with the quartets is one of my ongoing works-in-progress . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

yeongil

Hmm.. I like Opp. 33 and 76 equally, but I can only choose one in this poll, so I chose Op. 33.  :P

Gurn Blanston

My opinion hasn't changed: Opus 50 on all counts. Followed by 76...   $:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 09, 2014, 03:11:40 AM
Yes! But that is not really why I sought out this thread.  I have it in good MP3, and like it's rough&ready energy and zeal--but am prejudiced in favor of playing actual CDs (although I do NOT believe that they are audibly better sounding).  I've ordered the big blue box, but it hasn't arrived yet.
    I've been playing the Konzerthaus Quartet versions from the Westminster 1 box, which, if I am not mistaken, you also own.  I was playing the 76, and love it. However, I don't know if that is because it is a great version, or if it is just one of the most approachable opera (is that the correct term here?).  I haven't played a lot of SQ music, and so am floundering a bit. I've been playing the "last 3 quartets" from the big Vivarte box (which you also have, no?) and love it, as well.  However, when I wander out into the sea of Haydn's SQs, I soon lose my bearings and get lost.  There are so many of them, and I don't really have the tools or background to understand them very well.   I can't distinguish between them, or really follow the larger form of the pieces.   :-[ 
  It's dinner time. I just had a big vodka, and my wife just called. She's picking me up to go out to eat. Anyway, I'd like to hear what you think about these. bye for now.

Perhaps the vodka will add an intriguing soundscape?  I think you just need to sail into the ocean of Haydn Quartets. The other posts here debate the "best" SQs, which is an everlasting discussion. Personally I think you can wrap yourself up in Op 76, Op 50, Op 33 and Op 20 for a while. Listen to them over and over and just suspend yourself in the music. It is a complex dance in my eyes and they improve over time like good wines.   :)    Have fun!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on August 09, 2014, 12:33:33 PM
Perhaps the vodka will add an intriguing soundscape?  I think you just need to sail into the ocean of Haydn Quartets. The other posts here debate the "best" SQs, which is an everlasting discussion. Personally I think you can wrap yourself up in Op 76, Op 50, Op 33 and Op 20 for a while. Listen to them over and over and just suspend yourself in the music. It is a complex dance in my eyes and they improve over time like good wines.   :)    Have fun!

Good advice, Moonfish. I'll focus on those four for a while and see if they don't start to sink in. 
It's all good...