How many hours a day do you listen to classical music? Poll!

Started by Harry, April 11, 2007, 08:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many hours do you listen to classical music a day

between 1-3 hours
between 3-5 hours
between 5-7 hours
between 7-9 hours
even more

Todd

Varies widely for me now.  Between 0-10 hours per day during the week, though 0-9 of that is as background music at work.  On weekends it's between 2-6 hours per day.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Haffner

Quote from: D Minor on April 11, 2007, 09:03:13 AM
Harry, I suspect that you "multitask" while you listen to music (i.e., listening is not your exclusive activity when music is playing).

It's hard to picture Harry being stationary whilst listening to all that marvelous music!

Harry

Quote from: D Minor on April 11, 2007, 09:03:13 AM
Harry, I suspect that you "multitask" while you listen to music (i.e., listening is not your exclusive activity when music is playing).

True!

Florestan

An average of 2 hours daily applies for me. I don't like to listen while doing something else so I need time for music only.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Haffner on April 11, 2007, 09:11:23 AM

It's hard to picture Harry being stationary whilst listening to all that marvelous music!

Harry loves to dance.

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2007, 08:59:26 AM

Gosh really, well English is my second language almost, I think and dream in English.
I thought that the Scandinavians were excellent in English.

Finns are good in English in general but my talents are elsewhere.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The Emperor

I'm listening to music all the time, lucky for me i can listen to music in my work. ;D
Classical music, depends on my mood, sometimes 3 or 4 hours a day, sometimes i don't even listen to Classical at all, sometimes...all day.
For instance today i've heard Malher's 1st and Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano concerto. I'm warming up for next week, i'm gonna see this pieces played live!!

Harry

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 11, 2007, 09:48:42 AM
Harry loves to dance.

With the right Lady, well yes, allthough a different dance as most would think I would dance..............

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 11, 2007, 09:53:37 AM
Finns are good in English in general but my talents are elsewhere.

And they are no doubt excellent too, knowing the extent of your passion. :)

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2007, 09:02:18 AM
The classical radio in the Netherlands is bad, real bad, more talking then music.
All self made professors and know all's!

The Finnish Classic FM used to be fairly good 10 years ago. Nowadays it's worse.
Also, the national radio/tv company (YLE) plays a lot classical music on their radio channel 1. They play classical music all nights thru from 12 am to 6 am. I used to record interesting nights on a 4 hour VHS tape in half speed (8 hours of capacity) and listening to those tapes on the daytime. I still have around 100 hours of music on VHS tapes...

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2007, 11:10:13 AM
And they are no doubt excellent too, knowing the extent of your passion. :)

Thanks Harry! Finns are good in some things but we suck big time in Football.  ;D
We used to suck in Eurovision Song Contest too but last year we won that one...

George

Harry, have you considered adding a poll to this thread? Might be fun.  :-\

Me, I listen about 3-4 hours a day. I don't listen when online or doing other things. I don't listen at work, though I could if I wanted to. I try my best in all areas of life to simply do one thing at a time. The only exceptions to this are when traveling from place to place; like walking, driving or riding the subway.  :) 

marvinbrown

On average 2-4 hours per day.  But I do have UNUSUAL  ::) listening habits as follows:

1) If I start an opera (Wagner included: I treat the Ring Cycle as four operas, although I have coupled Das Rhinegold and Die Walkurie on a few occasions  ;D) I listen to the whole opera in one uninterrupted go.

2) If I start a symphony I will hear it uninterrupted and I will complete the whole symphony cycle (eg. Beethoven 1-9)  before I listen to any other peice of work.

It gets worst:

3) If I start Chopin's preludes I will listen to them uninterrupted then I will do another marathon with the noctures.

4) Mozart after Bach and Beethoven after Mozart...but lets not discuss this one!

Again to answer the question 2-4 hours/day

marvin  

Harry

Added a poll so vote at your hearts desire!
Of course I voted even more!

George

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2007, 11:38:19 AM
Your idea George, don't be modest! :)

I would have not added the winky if I intended to be modest.  ;D

The Mad Hatter

I don't usually listen to classical when I'm doing other things, because I find it a bit meaningless when I'm only hearing bits and pieces. I try to make an hour or two a day for listening, but I can't always get that.

Don

Quote from: springrite on April 11, 2007, 08:55:31 AM
There was a time when I used to listen 24 hours a day. (I put 6 CDs in my CD changer when I go to bed). Now it is down to about 4 to 6 hours a day, though sometimes it can be up to 10 hours. My car CD player is broken, which also accounted for the loss of listening time. Then again, the radio DJs here are fun to listen to as well. Not a bad idea to occasionally listen to what most other people listen to.

It's also not a bad idea to pay no attention to what most others are up to. ;D

prémont

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2007, 08:59:26 AM
I thought that the Scandinavians were excellent in English.
What do you mean writing "thought", my friend??
γνῶθι σεαυτόν