Prokofiev Plethora Poses Problem

Started by Mr. Stevens Senior, April 06, 2012, 10:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Stevens Senior

Utterly new to classical music.  Prokofiev's on my list of composers to try out, and I'd like to listen to symphonies.  I read the a Prokofiev thread and have some opinions about which symphony set to buy, but I'd be interested in thumbs up/thumbs down reactions and any suggestions.  Here's my list of possible purchases:

Walter Weller / London Symphony Orchestra, Brilliant Classics 9006
Neeme Jarvi / Scottish National Orchestra, Chandos CHAN 10500(4)(X)
Vasili Gergiev / London Symphon Orchestra, Phillips 4757655
Seiji Ozawa / Berlin Philharmonic, DG Collectors 4637612
Dmitry Kitajenko / Gurzenich Orchester, Phoenix Edition

I don't know these artists; I recall liking Ozawa's conducting of The Planets about 10,000 years ago.  I'm not averse to buying individual CDs of each symphony if there are good as/better options with a bonus of other prokofiev works included on the disk.  Thanks for any recommendations.

classicalgeek

It's a tough choice!  Ozawa and Gergiev have admirers here and I find them fine; I also generally like Järvi, but his First is a definite weak spot.  I have Weller and Kitajenko as well; they don't stand out as much, but from what I remember, they were at least solid.

I realize that's probably no help at all ;D - but if I had to recommend just one, I'd say... Ozawa, or Järvi and supplement with another First.  Personally, I'm rather fond of a First and Fifth with Yoel Levi and the Atlanta Symphony on Telarc, which can be had very cheaply on the Amazon secondary market:
[asin]B000003CY1[/asin]
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Herman

all these cycles have their highs and lows, so it's hard to say. Maybe Ozawa.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Herman on April 07, 2012, 03:11:18 AM
all these cycles have their highs and lows, so it's hard to say. Maybe Ozawa.

This.

I find that the Ozawa set is the most consistent, but the good thing about Prokofiev is that with only 7 symphonies (8 if you include both versions of #4, which you should) you could easily buy separate recordings and have a pleasant set, I personally believe the best recordings of #3, #5 and #7 are from individual recordings.

eyeresist

For interpretation (not sound), I favour Kuchar's Naxos cycle. But if you really are completely new to classical music, this might be a better introduction:

[ASIN]B000MCIB4S[/ASIN]

Mr. Stevens Senior

Thanks guys.  One of the side benefits of Prokofiev is all that lovely Commie agitprop artwork!