Author Topic: A suggestion: Like button  (Read 34200 times)

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Jazz, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Handel, Rossini, Chopin, Metal, Pop
A suggestion: Like button
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:06:37 AM »
Rob, and everybody else on this forum, isn't it preferable to be able to like posts with a like button?

This is possible on these forum software with this mod:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3029

You can see which persons likes a post. I think this makes the forum more social and therefor it's wishable. We don't live in the early stages of internet anymore.

Henk
'Become who you want to be.' (Greg)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
Re: A suggestion: Like button
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Henk.

The actual mod you link to is not compatible with the current forum (on version 2.0.2), but I do like the idea.

The forum has a built-in system called Karma (with a Like and Smite option), which is similar, but is used to Like or Smite an individual member, not a post.

It was used vindictively and was removed.

With such a large forum, it would be good to have a system to find posts that others have found valuable. I'll continue to investigate.

cheers
Rob
 Macs are better. They just are.

Offline sheffmark

Mahler,Tchaikovsky and Bach but still Punk/Post Punk!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »

Sounds like a good idea! :)
Sorry for asking stupid questions!
I'm a complete novice and always will be!!

-Mark-

DavidW

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
I like the idea too.  If it can be per post and only positive.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »
As long as the karma/smite or like-button option doesn't turn into a popularity issue, some user's average post per day is much higher than others and a newer member or one that doesn't post often shouldnt be made to feel that their post or contribution to the GMG forum is not important.

Not saying that every idea here would do that, just saying I wouldn't want it to head in that direction.

I don't agree with the "like" option of FB because it lessens the interaction with fellow users, instead of actually commenting or offering their opinion on how a certain post affected them, they just click "like", it cheapens the "social" aspect of a social network.

(opens pockets, takes out two pennies)  ;D

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
Allow me to give an 'applaud' to Rob, the benevolent master of our often amoral dungeon. :)

DavidW

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »
I don't agree with the "like" option of FB because it lessens the interaction with fellow users, instead of actually commenting or offering their opinion on how a certain post affected them, they just click "like", it cheapens the "social" aspect of a social network.

I disagree, many times when "like" is used, in it's absence nothing would have been said anyway.  It deepens not cheapens the experience.  Let me explain.  Let's say you smack down Janacek, and Luke retorts with a brilliant defense of the composer.  Nobody else wants to get into it and leaves it alone.  On gmg you would never know that most disagree with you.  On TC the huge # of likes on Luke's posts and only a few on yours would give you feedback you might otherwise not have.

And for a casual reader on news sites such as the WP and CNN, I find sorting comments by #likes extremely beneficial to get to the most interesting comments without having to wade through pages of absolute stupidity.  Not saying that this forum has pages of absolute stupidity.  But what I am saying is that there are interesting, beneficial applications to the like button that we are missing out on.

Another thing that this forum should have that others have is most currently replied to threads on the front page... it is a good indicator of what is hot on the forum.

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 01:36:47 AM »
You get negative feedback by no likes as well, when you expected to get likes, and you get positive feedback by likes. And you see the persons from whom you get likes, so this gives more "context" to likes since you know the persons. By the likes of a person you get to know these persons better as well, their interests and opinions, their learning etc.

I agree with your other point. When you want something to comment on, you do this, you don't just put a like then.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:51:28 AM by Henk »

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:29 AM »
I am not so sure. Too often, people choose 'likes' for the posters they like (or dislikes for posters they don't like), not for the content of the posts. I find that people sometimes gang up on other posters as well (sometimes deserved, sometimes not, but never desireable). There is something about the anonymity of the internet that sometimes drives people to the most uncivilized behavior.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:21 AM »
I disagree, many times when "like" is used, in it's absence nothing would have been said anyway.  It deepens not cheapens the experience.  Let me explain.  Let's say you smack down Janacek, and Luke retorts with a brilliant defense of the composer.  Nobody else wants to get into it and leaves it alone.  On gmg you would never know that most disagree with you.  On TC the huge # of likes on Luke's posts and only a few on yours would give you feedback you might otherwise not have.

Interesting. When this feature was mooted last night by Henk, I thought about Luke's contributions too. :) It's a good idea, but I wish that members wouldn't use it on 'liking' album covers in the WAYLT thread. Sadly I can easily imagine it happening here which would make the feature more FB-esque.

Another thing that this forum should have that others have is most currently replied to threads on the front page... it is a good indicator of what is hot on the forum.

Something like this? EDIT: I see listing just the threads would occupy less space and allow for easy 'scanning' sans scrolling of the page.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:12 AM »
This suggestion has neither my blessing, nor my curse.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 02:00:10 AM »
I am not so sure. Too often, people choose 'likes' for the posters they like (or dislikes for posters they don't like), not for the content of the posts. I find that people sometimes gang up on other posters as well (sometimes deserved, sometimes not, but never desireable). There is something about the anonymity of the internet that sometimes drives people to the most uncivilized behavior.

But the crowd here isn't as large or as rowdy as in, say, YouTube. The regulars are just a handful in comparison.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 02:22:20 AM »
But the crowd here isn't as large or as rowdy as in, say, YouTube. The regulars are just a handful in comparison.
The impact would be even worse with a smaller sample size.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 02:29:51 AM »

The impact would be even worse with a smaller sample size.

If we already had a like button, I would be "liking" these posts. I'm against adding the option.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

DavidW

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:43:21 AM »
Something like this? EDIT: I see listing just the threads would occupy less space and allow for easy 'scanning' sans scrolling of the page.

Yeah check this out-- week's hot topics on http://www.mobileread.com/, very good for quickly catching up on the interesting threads.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »
Yeah check this out-- week's hot topics on http://www.mobileread.com/, very good for quickly catching up on the interesting threads.

But that's what 'Show unread posts since last visit' does, no? (Except that it won't show the post you may have just made.) That's what I use regularly.
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 03:02:15 AM »
But that's what 'Show unread posts since last visit' does, no? (Except that it won't show the post you may have just made.) That's what I use regularly.

No, it shows all unread posts.  I'm talking about showing what threads have the most posts and reads in the last week.  You could have 40 unread threads but only 5 of which are what gets everyone excited.  This is different, it adds something new to the experience.

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 04:35:53 AM »
A like button should not enhance cynism and other negativism, a like button should enhance positivism.

The people who are afraid for the first to happen, have little confidence in people in general and in posters on this board particulary. And they don´t give a chance for the second to happen.

Not unwanted behaviour should be a central issue, focus should be on communication and learning. And that´s what the like button, besides fun, is meant for, not for the first to be used for, then it´s simply abused.

Or in other words, you should give positive things a chance, even if negative things can happen and can cause annoyance. Give more attention to the positive things and make them possible, the negative things will vanish, positivism will increase.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:02:09 AM by Henk »

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 04:49:59 AM »
If we already had a like button, I would be "liking" these posts. I'm against adding the option.

Sarge

This is strange. What was wrong with your likes? They weren't cynistic, you only show you agree with what has been said.

So this only speak in favour of a like button, you're not against I think.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:53:11 AM by Henk »

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 05:00:11 AM »
This is strange. What was wrong with your likes? They weren't cynistic, you only show you agree with what has been said.

So this only speak in favour of a like button, you're not against I think.

I'm opposed in general to dumbing down. If you like a post, take a few seconds and reply with a post. People are just getting too lazy. We shouldn't encourage that.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"