Author Topic: A suggestion: Like button  (Read 36672 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: A suggestion: Like button
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 05:03:37 AM »
I'm opposed in general to dumbing down. If you like a post, take a few seconds and reply with a post. People are just getting too lazy. We shouldn't encourage that.

Sarge

In a nutshell, there it is; thanks, Sarge!

I don't mind that the feature is there in Facebook (I use it all the time, myself, and some of the time, it is a matter of ease/laziness).  I don't see any need to make GMG "conform" to that model; and indeed, I agree with the idea that in this environment, mo' better posting should be encouraged.

We many of us like Gurn's stellar work in the Haydn Haus, yet we've none of us suffered for lack of a "Like" button.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
    Jazz, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Handel, Rossini, Chopin, Metal, Pop
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 05:07:58 AM »
I'm opposed in general to dumbing down. If you like a post, take a few seconds and reply with a post. People are just getting too lazy. We shouldn't encourage that.

Sarge

When you have not much to say, you can say I agree, or I like this, people don't reply like this. Therefor a like button. A like button has a different function than to reply with text. It compensates for the missing opportunities people have in a real meeting conversation and focuses on positive feedback. While it´s different as well and it´s own advantages compared to a real meeting conversation.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:54:59 AM by Henk »
'Become who you want to be.' (Greg)

Leon

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »

Sarge

I like this post.   :D    But, I would not mind a "thumbs down" button for some threads.

:)

Ataraxia

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 05:10:44 AM »
I would like a "Meh" button.

Make it so.

Thank you.

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 05:21:46 AM »
In a nutshell, there it is; thanks, Sarge!

I don't mind that the feature is there in Facebook (I use it all the time, myself, and some of the time, it is a matter of ease/laziness).  I don't see any need to make GMG "conform" to that model; and indeed, I agree with the idea that in this environment, mo' better posting should be encouraged.

We many of us like Gurn's stellar work in the Haydn Haus, yet we've none of us suffered for lack of a "Like" button.

Karl, you only say this because you like to reply with jokes or funny sentences. That's not what everybody wants or likes to do. But we want to show our reaction or appreciation to a post when we like it and when we want to give the poster credits for his post.

A reply focuses often on the one who replies, a like focuses on the poster. It's different.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:40:50 AM by Henk »

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 05:24:15 AM »
It´s not about a competition who gets the most likes. It´s about positive and negative feedback from individuals to indviduals.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 05:26:08 AM »
GMG already has a "like" button, it's called "reply", then you spent a little time saying what you like (or dislike) about the post. It promotes user interaction. Keep it simple.

I imagine GMG is a coffee shop or diner where many of us are relaxing, enjoying music, books, movies, etc...if someone sitting across from me says,
"I really, really enjoy the 3rd string quartet from Benjamin Britten."
[silence]
[thumbs up]-me
[still silence]

Ataraxia

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 05:28:49 AM »
Yes, let's not turn this into Facebook. I blew up my Facebook account for a reason.  ;D

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 05:29:24 AM »
Karl, you only say this because you like to reply with jokes or funny sentences. That's not what everybody wants or likes to do. But we want to show our reaction or appreciation to a post when we like it and when we want to give the poster credits for his post.

A reply focuses on the one who replies, a like focuses on the poster. It's different.

What if a poster never gets any "likes", that may be viewed as not being as important as other heavily "liked" posters.

And did Karl make another funny?  ;D

Ataraxia

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 05:30:02 AM »
Karl, always making with the funny.  >:(

;)

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 05:34:36 AM »
What if a poster never gets any "likes", that may be viewed as not being as important as other heavily "liked" posters.

And did Karl make another funny?  ;D

Some people are just more liked by a larger group of people than others (I try to avoid the word "popular" because it's always a bit negative, and I don't mean this negative at all, but just to say how things are). This should not regarded as problematic. People are just different.

And you don't show you like a person by a like button, but what the person says in his post, you like the post by the particular poster. That's not to show love for the poster, for his being, but for what he says at the present time (feedback), and in that sense can also mean a sign of affection.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:43:00 AM by Henk »

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 05:39:06 AM »
Here's a question: Has anyone had experience with this function at a different forum (and not places like facbook, youtube, etc.)? What was the experience?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 05:46:50 AM »
Here's a question: Has anyone had experience with this function at a different forum (and not places like facbook, youtube, etc.)? What was the experience?

I think Facebook and this forum are comparable. I don't see why it has different ways of usage. On Facebook it works well.

Ataraxia

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:07 AM »
I think Facebook and this forum are comparable. I don't see why it has different ways of usage. On Facebook it works well.

No. Facebook has walls where you post crap about yourself. Forums have topics where you have actual discussions.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:15 AM »
Karl, you only say this because you like to reply with jokes or funny sentences.

I don't see either what I have just posted was a "joke or funny sentence"; nor how what I have posted relates to this causative relation you suggest.

And thus: I do not see how your reply here is any refutation of the material of my post.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2012, 05:59:57 AM »
I don't see either what I have just posted was a "joke or funny sentence"; nor how what I have posted relates to this causative relation you suggest.

And thus: I do not see how your reply here is any refutation of the material of my post.

No offence was intended, I only suspect you tried to popularize yourself a bit, am I allowed to show a bit of critics?

I don´t see why you didn´t understand my post.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:02:20 AM by Henk »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 06:01:58 AM »
No offence was intended. I don´t see why you don´t understand my post.

I did not take any offense. I understand your post perfectly well;  I find it at turns poorly reasoned, and irrelevant.  That said, you're of the opinion that there should be a Like button, and you are entitled to the opinion.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 06:04:27 AM »
What I like about the use of a 'Like' button or whatever one might want to call it, is its ability to highlight especially interesting or insightful posts, to aggregate those contributions which many members find useful. Giving them an endless amount of likes will not serve this purpose well, in my opinion. Therefore, what I would like to see is something like a quota system: let's say 3 'likes' per week per member (the number can be changed as and when the frequency of insightful posts increase or decrease ;) and other parameters). It would force members to think carefully before clicking on the button (or at least that's the hope). Those posts with a significant amount of likes can then be archived in a special section which can be referenced later. This won't necessarily deter anyone from typing a note of appreciation to those posts; but it can collect together some of the best information that GMG offers.

Of course, all this depends on the availability of a modified mod capable of performing these actions.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:06:31 AM by Opus106 »
Regards,
Navneeth

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 06:05:34 AM »
I'm certainly finding the turns of interest, which the discussion is taking.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »
I did not take any offense. I understand your post perfectly well;  I find it at turns poorly reasoned, and irrelevant.  That said, you're of the opinion that there should be a Like button, and you are entitled to the opinion.

Yes, do I show weakness by just keep on defending my point if others oppose to it??

I have the impression that if one person says something and others oppose to it, he won't get right just because he has many offenders. Even if there are other persons who defend the point he will lose, just because he tries to defend his point in many ways in many posts.

And others who agree aren't heared in that process. You get the impression on the other hand that the offenders get more applause, they give it themselves.

It's bizar to me.

BTW I don't just defend my point, I just make arguments in favour. Other ones make the impression I try to defend myself by attacking it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:19:08 AM by Henk »