Erik Chisholm (1904-1965) Pictures from Dante.

Started by vandermolen, April 11, 2012, 07:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I have liked everything that I have heard from this fine Scottish composer.  The new Hyperion CD with the Piano Concerto 'Piobaireachd' and No 2 'Hindustani' is wonderfully atmospheric.  The PC No 1 recreates the sound of the bagpipes in a hauntingly atmospheric and memorable way.  Chisholm's music is engaging, melodic and at times moving.  My first contact with his music was the Symphony No 2 'Ossian' on Dutton, which should appeal to admirers of Bax, although it is less conflict-driven.  It reminded me of another symphony I like by a Scottish composer - Robin Orr (a searching and darkly moving work).  Above all I loved Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' (Dutton). This was the coupling to Stanley Bate's magnificent Symphony No 3 - one of my favourite Dutton CDs of all times.  At once we are plunged into Dante's dark world with a cataclysmic opening depicting Dante and Virgil peering into Hell (based on one of Gustav Dore's engravings for the Divine Comedy). But 'Pictures from Dante' also contains a beautifully poetic section, as we are led away from the Inferno.  A strong recommendation for Erik Chisholm.  I wished he'd lived longer.
[asin]B0072A4FKW[/asin]
[asin]B000WTBGF2[/asin]
[asin]B002VPR7HQ[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Tangentially . . . as I was listening to sound samples of the "Ossian" Symphony at Amazon, they list "Related Bestsellers," Adele and Bonnie Raitt.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on April 11, 2012, 08:13:07 AM
Tangentially . . . as I was listening to sound samples of the "Ossian" Symphony at Amazon, they list "Related Bestsellers," Adele and Bonnie Raitt.

:P Stupid Amazon...

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on April 11, 2012, 08:13:07 AM

That's really funny. One of my work colleagues - a teacher of philosophy, who wrote a book about the philosopher Thomas Hobbes worked out that if he ordered a few copies of his book from Amazon and, for example ' The Lord of the Rings' when others ordered 'Lord of the Rings' they would get a message saying 'Those who purchased Lord of the Rings also ordered 'An Introduction to Hobbes'!!! A clever scam I think.  :D

Karl what did you think of the Ossian extract?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Since you have asked me to comment, Jeffrey ;D ;D

I can say nothing about the Chisholm Piano Concertos because my copy of the Hyperion cd is still held up by HMV's suppliers not being able to provide a copy >:( ::) (HMV may be a lot cheaper but they are also a LOT slower). I am particularly anxious to listen to the cd because the conductor, Rory Macdonald, is the son of an old school friend of mine, Hugh Macdonald, who used to run the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.

Like you I found 'Pictures from Dante' a most impressive piece (and a good deal more impressive than the 'Ossian' symphony, which didn't particularly strike me as especially memorable :().

I still hope to be able to add a Chisholm Catalogue to the 65 catalogues of British Composers' Orchestral and Choral Music posted in another place ;D

Lethevich

The Dante Pictures recording drew me in too. I have been so interested in the many-volumed series of his piano works, but as of yet am unwilling to commit to the purchase (if I recall correctly the label's site offers a mild discount if you grab them all).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 15, 2012, 04:37:12 PM
Since you have asked me to comment, Jeffrey ;D ;D

I can say nothing about the Chisholm Piano Concertos because my copy of the Hyperion cd is still held up by HMV's suppliers not being able to provide a copy >:( ::) (HMV may be a lot cheaper but they are also a LOT slower). I am particularly anxious to listen to the cd because the conductor, Rory Macdonald, is the son of an old school friend of mine, Hugh Macdonald, who used to run the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.

Like you I found 'Pictures from Dante' a most impressive piece (and a good deal more impressive than the 'Ossian' symphony, which didn't particularly strike me as especially memorable :().

I still hope to be able to add a Chisholm Catalogue to the 65 catalogues of British Composers' Orchestral and Choral Music posted in another place ;D

Many thanks Colin  :D :D

I have more time for Ossian now but perhaps it is the most understated of the three CDs above. Let us know what you think of the Piano Concerto 1 and 2 when they arrive. Interesting about your connection with the conductor.

On a separate note have ordered the symphonies by Daniel Asia as a consequence of your recommendation elsewhere.

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on April 15, 2012, 10:05:34 PM
Many thanks Colin  :D :D

I have more time for Ossian now but perhaps it is the most understated of the three CDs above. Let us know what you think of the Piano Concerto 1 and 2 when they arrive. Interesting about your connection with the conductor.

On a separate note have ordered the symphonies by Daniel Asia as a consequence of your recommendation elsewhere.

OT

The Daniel Asia symphonies are greatly enjoyable - like a cross between Bloch/Copland and Glass. Moving and inspiriting.

vandermolen

Thought I'd bump up this thread to put in another plug for Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' which I have been playing today. It is a dramatic, powerful, cataclysmic and, at the end, poetically moving work. In fact the whole CD is great as it also features Stanley Bate's fine third symphony, with its echoes of Vaughan Williams's 4th Symphony and Shostakovich. It is available cheap (SH) on the Amazon UK site:
[asin]B002VPR7HQ[/asin]

cilgwyn

I think there is a live broadcast of a Chisholm Piano Concerto tonight (in a few minutes,or now? Better check!!!) on Radio 3?!!

cilgwyn

Yes,No 2! The live concert starts on Radio 3 at 7.30. Danny Driver is playing. I'm going to record it!!

cilgwyn

I'm recording it now.......with a cassette deck!!! :o I am enjoying this. I haven't heard it before. Only a previously used cassette to hand. Hopefully,it will be as 'good' as my off air recording of Sullivan's 'The Beauty Stone' a few weeks ago,ie good for me and prehistoric technology!!
I'm sure Fred Flinstone had a better system. Two reels made of rock and a pterodactyl inside,I think?

Yes,he did!! :(

lescamil

I can always provide a direct mp3 rip of the concert for anyone interested. I have the means and know-how to do it (and I do it quite frequently for many BBC programs).
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

vandermolen

I like this work (Symphony 2 'Ossian') more and more having not made much of it originally. It was composed in 1939 and is a dreamy, poetic and powerful score which deserves to be better known:
[asin]B000WTBGF2[/asin]

vandermolen

Thought that I'd wake up this thread, at least for a few minutes, before it goes back into hibernation again, following some discussion of Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' on the British Composers thread.
I was pleased to discover that there is now an Erik Chisholm Society:
http://www.erikchisholm.com