Mahler 6 Blind Comparison: Impressions and Votes

Started by madaboutmahler, April 12, 2012, 03:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zauberflöte

I recognized the Bernstein, but only when I played the Mahler Sixes I own to compare the B group. I had already been starting to like B8 when I played my recording and in toto it is a great performance.
I was surprised it sounded rushed and frenetic in the excerpt offered. It sounded fine as a whole. I ranked it second.

Leo K.

Wow, very surprised by Bernstein already gone! What makes that recording one of my top choices is the development section in the first movement. I have heard at least 50 different 6s and none approach what Bernstein does with Vienna! It does appear my top choice, Karajan, is still in the running.

I'm not sure if MTT is included, but the SFSO under his direction absolutely soar in the M6.

I like the Horenstein account on BBC Legends A LOT. The scherzo is what makes that performance for me, and the andante.

I wish I had the time to participate but it sure is fun to see the results coming in!

madaboutmahler

Interesting to read all your feedback! I knew the Bernstein would be a surprise...!!

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 01, 2012, 02:13:04 PM
I wonder if three weeks is too long... The (current) contestants are now fully concentrated. Perhaps 14 May?

I'd be happy to go with this. Is everyone else with the deadline for Part 2 voting being the 14 May? If you know that you will need that week extra, please let me know now! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Ok, the link for Group X has been sent out. Group Y shall be out tommorow evening.

The voting deadline for this Part of the comparison is the 14th May. If you think you will need a little longer, please let me know!

Happy Voting!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Discobole

After a while, and seeing that things seem calmer regarding insults against my country, I decided to start posting again here.

Bravo to madaboutmahler for organizing this comparison. I tried the first round (group C) but found it too difficult to rank 8 versions, or even 5 among 8. But I'll definitely try again for the 2nd round.

I'll start a comparison very soon too, on a very different orchestral piece.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Discobole on May 03, 2012, 06:18:03 PM
After a while, and seeing that things seem calmer regarding insults against my country, I decided to start posting again here.

Bravo to madaboutmahler for organizing this comparison. I tried the first round (group C) but found it too difficult to rank 8 versions, or even 5 among 8. But I'll definitely try again for the 2nd round.

I'll start a comparison very soon too, on a very different orchestral piece.

Good morning!

Glad to hear this, Discobole!

I look forward to your Blind Comparisons too. :) I shall be doing one for each Mahler symphony, which will probably take a few years! Next will be the 1st symphony.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Discobole

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 03, 2012, 11:39:25 PM
Good morning!

Glad to hear this, Discobole!

I look forward to your Blind Comparisons too. :) I shall be doing one for each Mahler symphony, which will probably take a few years! Next will be the 1st symphony.

Great idea. Please juste leave me the 2nd ;D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Discobole on May 04, 2012, 01:37:53 AM
Great idea. Please juste leave me the 2nd ;D
Ok, sure. :)

After 6, I'll do no.1, then 5, then 7. :) That should probably take us to the end of the year, maybe being able to include no.3 too. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 04, 2012, 12:26:19 PM
After 6, I'll do no.1

Oh, how wonderful; one of my favourite Mahler's symphonies. ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 04, 2012, 12:55:33 PM
Oh, how wonderful; one of my favourite Mahler's symphonies. ;D
Strangely, one of my least favorite, which is why I'd love a blind listen - maybe I'd find something I like!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 04, 2012, 04:23:02 PM
Strangely, one of my least favorite, which is why I'd love a blind listen - maybe I'd find something I like!

Well, honestly, I really enjoy listening all his symphonies; but No.1 is rather special for me as I started loving Mahler's music after hearing it and No.6. Listening to many different recordings of it will be certainly a massive fun. :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

All the links for Part 2 have now been sent out. If there are any problems, please do let me know and I will do my best to solve them for you!

The voting deadline is the 14th May - like in the first part, please post your thoughts and votes (as a top 5) on this thread.

Happy Voting everyone! :)

By the way,  10 recordings will be eliminated in Part 2, leaving us a final 5 for the finale, in which the whole last movement on each of these top 5 recordings shall be compared. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Hmm, this means we will listen to a lot of hammer blows ;D

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: madaboutmahler on Today at 20:52:20
All the links for Part 2 have now been sent out. If there are any problems, please do let me know and I will do my best to solve them for you!

The voting deadline is the 14th May - like in the first part, please post your thoughts and votes (as a top 5) on this thread.

By the way,  10 recordings will be eliminated in Part 2, leaving us a final 5 for the finale, in which the whole last movement on each of these top 5 recordings shall be compared. :)

I'm making coffee, and then - Mahler!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

madaboutmahler

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 05, 2012, 11:27:14 AM
Quote from: madaboutmahler on Today at 20:52:20

I'm making coffee, and then - Mahler!

:)

Hope you enjoy it, Johan! I look forward to seeing your vote! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

J.Z. Herrenberg

Okay, my verdict (Mahler part 2 Group X):

1. A4 I like the playing of the orchestra, and the sonic depth. The conducting is at the service of the music, I don't feel the conductor impinging on the proceedings, as is the case in some of the other performances.

2. A8 Very exciting performance. Great sound. Because there is a sense of occasion about it (live), I place it second, as I could imagine the excitement could become a distraction. Still, great playing and conducting. The conductor has a firm grip.

3. B2 A quite flawless implementation of Mahler's own remarks about this movement with all the rallentandi and accelerandi (children running, standing still, stumbling). Good sound. Good orchestra. Conductor marginally too prominent.

4. B1 Quite similar to B2, but just a tad less deliberate. Sound and orchestra leave nothing to be desired.

5. B4 Also quite similar to B2. Spacious sound. Another performance that certainly does the movement justice.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

madaboutmahler

Thank you for getting your vote back so quickly, Johan! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

zauberflöte

The Y group. And here we are not at the beginning but dropped in at the end of the scherzo.

My favorite is C1. It enters a bit speedily but soon shapes up as the most elastic and musical of the whole group and by a pretty wide margin for me, like Secretariat beating the field in the 1973 Belmont Stakes (to date me.)  Love the tightness of the swooping horns with the rest of the orchestra. Really nice.

Of all these recordings only A7 I hadn't heard in the first round so I wanted to listen as closely as possible with special consideration because people had raved about it in round 1. Somebody's humming. Is this Glenn Gould conducting?! Kidding. Flags a bit toward the end but overall quite good. Very nice balance overall.

C5 I hadn't liked at all in the first round. It grows on me a little  here. Obviously an older recording.  Some tempo questions, but tempi of any kind can work if in the right hands. These are fast but with a sameness to each section that makes the whole a little boring. But still a very respectable performance.

I had liked C4 a lot in the first movement segment from before but had worried it might be too much if the conductor kept up that pace. He does here and it doesn't work quite as well. To invert the old saying, it misses the trees for the forest and in Mahler I like to see the trees. It's still electrifying though.

B5 had been my favorite of the B group in round 1. Seems OK if a bit sluggish here.

Neither C2 nor C7 do much for me.

For the heck of it I listened to the eliminated Bernstein in this section. It beats all except possibly C1 but comes VERY close. I'd like to see C1 and the Bernstein in a match race.  Secretariat would have a real challenger

So, in order:

C1
and at a distance
A7
C5
C4
B5

fridden

Here is my ranking for Part 2 Group X

1. A4
Good sound. I like how it goes from quiet to loud, slow to fast and vice verse. Makes the music engaging and alive and brings out a dance like quality to the music.

2. B2
Sound is quite ok. This is an intense reading, with nice contrasts between slow and fast like A4, but perhaps a little to intense at times.

3. A8
Good and spacious sound. This is slower and calmer reading. But I like it, they manage to keep the nerve and make it powerful rather than too slow.

4. B1
Pretty good sound, and there are a lot of power and excitements from time to time, but when it is slow it is a little too slow for being a top contender.

5. A3
The recorded sound is very good. It feels brisk but timings suggest it is neither brisk nor slow. Pretty straightforward, ok reading.

For my number 5 spot  I really could have choose any one of A3, B4 and C2. I found B4 very similar to A3, but choose A3 finally due to better sound.

B7 was at the bottom of my list, the performance being much too slow for me.

/fridden