Louis Andriessen's Annex

Started by PSmith08, June 30, 2007, 11:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

The whole work, De Materie, is amazing  -  though the neighbours may feel different.

Ostensibly the grand metaphor is ship building, but I can't help thinking it's always about the Creation of the World or Universe in Andriessen's music. This why Hadewych's love song to the Creator is in the right place.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Herman on July 07, 2021, 04:46:45 AM
The whole work, De Materie, is amazing  -  though the neighbours may feel different.

Ostensibly the grand metaphor is ship building, but I can't help thinking it's always about the Creation of the World or Universe in Andriessen's music. This why Hadewych's love song to the Creator is in the right place.

I must revisit De Materie soon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Herman

I couldn't help but notice that the Guardian critic linked above, translated 'De Materie' as 'Material'. However, 'Matter' would be better.

Mandryka

I didn't realise it was one piece with two parts. De Materie has a wonderful opening!

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 07, 2021, 07:42:46 AM
I must revisit De Materie soon.

Nice and loud and make sure the neighbours are out.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Why do you think the third part is De Stijl?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on July 08, 2021, 12:13:07 AM
Why do you think the third part is De Stijl?

Unfortunately I find the De Stijl movement rather hard to take, with those eruptions of rock / pop music with the drummer doing a backbeat etc