Author Topic: Holst's The Planets  (Read 142158 times)

kishnevi

Re: Holst's The Planets
« Reply #800 on: October 19, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »
Gergiev is hit or miss or miss or miss...

He's best in Russian music. Did any obscure Russian or Soviet composer ever write a планеты?

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Veteran member
    • Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #801 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:41 PM »

He's best in Russian music. Did any obscure Russian or Soviet composer ever write a планеты?

Not as far as I know.

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #802 on: October 20, 2017, 06:55:54 AM »

Sort of.  If you consider Planets to be astrological/mystical as Holst intended rather than astronomical, then maybe you would consider Scriabin's Mysterium as a contemporary peer.  If you think more astronomical, Yuri Smirnov wrote a work called "A Space Odyssey".

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Veteran member
    • Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #803 on: October 20, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
Sort of.  If you consider Planets to be astrological/mystical as Holst intended rather than astronomical, then maybe you would consider Scriabin's Mysterium as a contemporary peer.  If you think more astronomical, Yuri Smirnov wrote a work called "A Space Odyssey".

As soon as I saw the words "A Space Odyssey" I thought of this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/T0rDBncLS6k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/T0rDBncLS6k</a>
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:25:20 PM by Peter Power Pop »

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #804 on: December 18, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
#78 on your list is conducted by Mardjani. You then discovered it sounds identical to Kakhidze. In the wiki list of Tchaikovsky 5 recordings, it lists Mardjani as likely being a pseudonym. When I looked up the Kakhidze recording, I cannot find any evidence of that, but the recording timings are almost identical to Mardjani. The first three movements are each within a 5 second difference, while the 4th movement is 11 seconds different. Thus, I suspect that this was indeed a pseudonym. I still don't have hard evidence, but they do both use the Georgian Festival Orchestra. I just thought I would mention it as I like it when I can settle mysteries such as this. And this one seems likely solved.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Veteran member
    • Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #805 on: December 18, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
#78 on your list is conducted by Mardjani. You then discovered it sounds identical to Kakhidze. In the wiki list of Tchaikovsky 5 recordings, it lists Mardjani as likely being a pseudonym. When I looked up the Kakhidze recording, I cannot find any evidence of that, but the recording timings are almost identical to Mardjani. The first three movements are each within a 5 second difference, while the 4th movement is 11 seconds different. Thus, I suspect that this was indeed a pseudonym. I still don't have hard evidence, but they do both use the Georgian Festival Orchestra. I just thought I would mention it as I like it when I can settle mysteries such as this. And this one seems likely solved.

Thanks for the detective work, Unreal Neal.

[Putting on my most flamboyant voice] Your assiduousness is astounding!