Author Topic: Holst's The Planets  (Read 181731 times)

Online Peter Power Pop

• Veteran member
    • Peter's Power Pop
Re: Holst's The Planets
« Reply #840 on: July 29, 2022, 02:03:22 PM »
That's okay, it's why we have so many recordings to choose from.  :)  I also like the Bernstein despite the performance errors, and also the Dutoit.  Considering all the ones you've heard, have you ever put together a "perfect" version based on your personal favorites of each movement?

For me, the perfect version already exists: Dutoit.

I could do the mix'n'match thing from different recordings, but that would make me frustrated because of the varying sonics of each recording. I like to hear my Planets in one go, all from the same place (and time).

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #841 on: July 29, 2022, 05:05:49 PM »
Tbh, l may well have already posted in this thread and have forgotten, my apologies if that is the case.

I've enjoyed Andre Previn's 1974 EMI recording with the LSO for over 40 years now. While some of the spot-miking is a distraction, it remains a demonstration of what mature analog recording techniques could accomplish before the digital tide rolled in. And the oboes are a treat, authentic British oboe tone before it started to become more Germanic.
Mit Fl├╝geln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline Olias

• Mekel Rogers - Composer
  • Currently Listening to:
    Beethoven, Dvorak, Haydn, Mozart, and The Bangles
« Reply #842 on: July 30, 2022, 05:34:27 PM »
For me, the perfect version already exists: Dutoit.

I could do the mix'n'match thing from different recordings, but that would make me frustrated because of the varying sonics of each recording. I like to hear my Planets in one go, all from the same place (and time).

Makes sense.  I do enjoy the Dutoit too.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #843 on: August 04, 2022, 09:17:05 PM »
I've always liked this CD - also for the other works:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Peter Power Pop

• Veteran member
    • Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #844 on: August 04, 2022, 09:43:24 PM »
I've always liked this CD - also for the other works:

That's a great CD. The couplings are fabulous.