Holst's The Planets

Started by Elgarian, April 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 29, 2016, 08:42:21 AM
Am I the only one who think the opening brass fanfare in Uranus sounds just like the beginning of Puccini's Turandot?

They're similar, except that the Puccini is twice the speed of the Holst, and the notes go in different directions.

But almost...

https://www.youtube.com/v/iZn_FGQmlVQ

https://www.youtube.com/v/FK_QkS6uZeE

Peter Power Pop

Peter Power Pop

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 25, 2016, 03:34:41 PM
And another one:

Alberto Lizzio, The Festival Orchestra, 1997

Never heard of that orchestra...is it the London Festival Orchestra?

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 29, 2016, 11:04:20 PM
How do, folks.

A new review over at Peter's Planets:

David Robertson, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, 2014

David Robertson? Doesn't he pitch for the White Sox? Didn't know he is a professional conductor as well. The man must be talented.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 25, 2016, 05:19:30 PM
Never heard of that orchestra...is it the London Festival Orchestra?

No sir. It's all fictitious. (See review.)

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 25, 2016, 05:19:30 PMDavid Robertson? Doesn't he pitch for the White Sox? Didn't know he is a professional conductor as well. The man must be talented.

Hehe.

relm1

I thought this was a very fine performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7uEyyNIT4

Proms 2016 - Gustav Holst - The Planets [Edward Gardner, National Youth Orchestra]

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: relm1 on October 26, 2016, 03:23:12 PM
I thought this was a very fine performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7uEyyNIT4

Proms 2016 - Gustav Holst - The Planets [Edward Gardner, National Youth Orchestra]

Fabulous.

http://www.youtube.com/v/be7uEyyNIT4

Peter Power Pop

Christo

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on November 12, 2016, 03:46:33 PMA new review on Peter's Planets:

Wolfgang Heinzel, Philharmonie Merck, 2005
Great that you're continuing this great overview, which I loved (and caused my to buy yet another bunch of planets). Any successor series in sight?  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Christo on February 11, 2017, 10:38:24 PM
Great that you're continuing this great overview, which I loved (and caused my to buy yet another bunch of planets).

Excellent.

Quote from: Christo on February 11, 2017, 10:38:24 PMAny successor series in sight?  :)

The short answer is no.

The slightly longer answer is that I have been pondering a new survey of a piece of classical music. I've thought about a few different works, but the one that keeps finding its way to the top of the list is Carmina Burana. I know that there are classical music fans who don't like Carmina Burana at all, thinking it's terribly kitschy, but I love it and have no problem with the idea of listening to it a couple of hundred times for a blog/website.

So the other short answer is maybe.

relm1

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: relm1 on February 12, 2017, 06:32:49 AM
How about this one?

You mean this?

I haven't got/reviewed it yet because:

a) it's only just been released; and

b) it's full price. I have a rather large aversion to paying full price for anything* – and that includes a new-fangled Planets recording**.

(*Call me Skinflint Pete.)

(**Most of my Planets CD purchases have been of the $5-$10 variety.)

Mirror Image

I own the new Gardner Planets but haven't spun it yet. In due time I suppose.

Mirror Image

Out of curiosity, Peter, have done a review of Rozhdestvensky's Planets yet (released on the ICA Classics label)?

Edit: Never mind I see that you did. ;) Yeah, I figured it was an odd man out amongst the other Planets recordings.

Whistle

Hello, I am new here and just starting to get in classical music. Is there a sort of consensus here which Planets are the best ones or with which ones I should start please?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Whistle on February 17, 2017, 01:44:30 AM
Hello, I am new here and just starting to get in classical music. Is there a sort of consensus here which Planets are the best ones or with which ones I should start please?
No such thing as BEST as there are some very fine recordings of this work but I enjoy this one (mentioned previously):

Just brilliantly played, recorded and you can sense that the players are having fun.

Peter Power Pop

(Warning: Self-Promotion Alert)

I have a website that rates all available CDs of The Planets:

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/

The short answer is: Dutoit. You can't go wrong with that one.

Peter Power Pop

Despite my undying love for the Dutoit recording, I reckon the ideal Planets for someone unfamiliar with the work is the one by Richard Hickox. There's no interpretative nonsense (plenty of other conductors feel the need to put their personal stamp on the work), it's recorded very well, and the CD is thoroughly affordable.

relm1

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on February 17, 2017, 12:25:05 PM
Despite my undying love for the Dutoit recording, I reckon the ideal Planets for someone unfamiliar with the work is the one by Richard Hickox. There's no interpretative nonsense (plenty of other conductors feel the need to put their personal stamp on the work), it's recorded very well, and the CD is thoroughly affordable.

Hey man, you can't contradict your own opinion!  That's against the rules. 

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: relm1 on February 17, 2017, 03:35:46 PM
Hey man, you can't contradict your own opinion!  That's against the rules.

Call me Contradictory Pete.

(It reminds me of the saying, "A hypocrite is someone who... but who doesn't?")