Holst's The Planets

Started by Elgarian, April 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 30, 2020, 09:28:54 PM
I've already read a good bit from your page, Peter. Good stuff, although I disagree with your top choice.

Thanks, MI.

In a way, I'm relieved that you disagree about the Dutoit. I'd hate to live in a world where everyone loved exactly the same stuff. [Shudder]

Jo498

I wonder if there is any major piece that has evoked more interesting covers between cheesily hilarious and grand.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Irons

Quote from: Jo498 on December 31, 2020, 12:10:12 AM
I wonder if there is any major piece that has evoked more interesting covers between cheesily hilarious and grand.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aukhawk on December 30, 2020, 12:02:26 AM
No reason not to have both. Accuracy doesn't have to be faceless. Revelation needn't be flawed.

Of course, but I am always surprised how a performance will be ruled out by some because of a single perceived mistake or flaw - one in mentioned in this thread regarding Boult's 60's version.  My sense is people who dismiss performances - live or recorded - on that basis, have never been performers themselves.  I am always amazed how often the most complex and demanding music is accurately played let alone wonderfully interpreted.  In this specific instance the Boult 60's version is a really superb performance/recording - definitely one of my favourites - and the split note is a passing moment of humanity of no consequence to anyone except the player themselves who probably hated the fact it is enshrined on disc!

Biffo

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on December 30, 2020, 09:44:15 PM
Thanks, MI.

In a way, I'm relieved that you disagree about the Dutoit. I'd hate to live in a world where everyone loved exactly the same stuff. [Shudder]

Thank you for your mind-boggling list, I have only heard a handful of them. A few random thoughts, bearing in mind the highlighted comment above.

When the work was reviewed on BBC Radio 3 Building a Library several years ago the surprise top choice (to me) was Levi/Atlanta, here a lowly No 27

When the work was discussed in another forum several people expressed a preference for Mehta/LAPO. I eventually acquired it as part of a Decca twofer. I found it beautiful but bland, like an immaculate dress rehearsal.

The first time I heard the work live it was from Andrew Litton conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, I see his Dallas performance rates quite highly.

I may have to hear the Elder recording as you rate it so highly.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on December 31, 2020, 01:47:48 AM
Thank you for your mind-boggling list, I have only heard a handful of them. A few random thoughts, bearing in mind the highlighted comment above.

When the work was reviewed on BBC Radio 3 Building a Library several years ago the surprise top choice (to me) was Levi/Atlanta, here a lowly No 27

When the work was discussed in another forum several people expressed a preference for Mehta/LAPO. I eventually acquired it as part of a Decca twofer. I found it beautiful but bland, like an immaculate dress rehearsal.

The first time I heard the work live it was from Andrew Litton conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, I see his Dallas performance rates quite highly.

I may have to hear the Elder recording as you rate it so highly.

Speaking of bland, I dislike that Elder performance. The only two English conductors I like in The Planets are Boult and Groves. I kind of like Rattle's Berliner recording, but really only for the Neptune movement, which he handles marvelously.

Brahmsian

Thinking I might be alone, but apparently I'm not!  Saturn has been my favourite movement for some time now.  I see other posters feel the same way (John - MI, Jeffrey - Vandermolen, and Christo.)  I may have missed a few names.

It hasn't always been the case with me.  Initially, it was Jupiter, then Mars, and then Venus that held that distinction.

I think all of the movements (planets) are special and very unique, and I don't dislike or feel ambivalence to any of them.  Something about Saturn just really resonates with me.  I think it is the ethereal, expansiveness that I hear.  With my eyes closed while listening to Saturn, I get the impression that if I were to open my eyes, the massive planet (or any celestial body) would be inches away from my face!

Christo

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 31, 2020, 06:59:20 AM
Thinking I might be alone, but apparently I'm not!  Saturn has been my favourite movement for some time now.  I see other posters feel the same way (John - MI, Jeffrey - Vandermolen, and Christo.)
Absolutely, I judge every recording by its rendering of Saturn alone, sometimes by that of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune in a row.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Brahmsian

Quote from: Christo on December 31, 2020, 07:06:51 AM
Absolutely, I judge every recording by its rendering of Saturn alone, sometimes by that of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune in a row.

Interesting!  By this criteria then, what are your favourite recordings based on Saturn?

Christo

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 31, 2020, 07:10:06 AM
Interesting!  By this criteria then, what are your favourite recordings based on Saturn?
Very much those favoured by Peter Power Pop & it's also some years ago that I tried to be certain now.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

I've always rather liked this version. I also liked all the Boult recordings and that of William Steinberg. I also recall enjoying Ormandy's recording:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aukhawk

Quote from: Christo on December 31, 2020, 07:06:51 AM

I go further - I generally edit out Venus, Mercury and Jupiter, leaving 4 movements and a more manageable duration for my addled attention span.
And while - of course - Saturn is the core of this music, I feel it is more likely judged by the impact or otherwise of Mars, and especially the tempo choice and how strictly, once chosen, it is adhered to.  The fastest Mars I've heard is Steinberg, the slowest Svetlanov, with the likes of Dutoit, Judd and Rattle representing the mainstream or if you prefer, the tempo giusto.

Steinberg and Svetlanov

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: vandermolen on January 01, 2021, 01:21:38 AM
I've always rather liked this version. I also liked all the Boult recordings and that of William Steinberg. I also recall enjoying Ormandy's recording:

There's a live recording with Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra from 1977. I think it's the best Planets performance on video:

https://youtu.be/YtphY-4xjQw

vandermolen

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 15, 2021, 10:23:54 PM
There's a live recording with Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra from 1977. I think it's the best Planets performance on video:

https://youtu.be/YtphY-4xjQw
Thank you PPP!
I've always liked Ormandy's commercial Sony recording. I think he's a rather underrated conductor. I also like his Miaskovsky Symphony No.21 and his CBS LP introduced me to Shostakovich's magnificent 4th Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 15, 2021, 10:53:13 PM
Thank you PPP!
I've always liked Ormandy's commercial Sony recording. I think he's a rather underrated conductor. I also like his Miaskovsky Symphony No.21 and his CBS LP introduced me to Shostakovich's magnificent 4th Symphony.

I would add Nielsen's 6th to those.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

relm1

You should add my performance to your ranking  ;D  I was the bass trombonist.  We played so damn loud at the end of Mars and never have I heard a conductor look directly at us and say "trombones, I need that louder"!  By the end, my lips were going to fall off.  So glad we don't play in Venus.  Jupiter is a bit trickier than I thought it would be because it jumps in and out of triggers so it's a bit of a tongue twister just at the end.  Saturn, when the brass are well tuned, my god you feel your body vibrate with those granite resonating chords.  It's very powerful experience from inside the orchestra in the brass section.  I don't remember much from Uranus other than it sat nicely and the low E was a ton of fun to just belt that one out.  Neptune, is just a favorite and though we have just a handful of notes, they're so mesmerizing!
https://clyp.it/m5l0t4wq

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: relm1 on July 24, 2021, 06:15:47 AM
You should add my performance to your ranking  ;D  I was the bass trombonist.  We played so damn loud at the end of Mars and never have I heard a conductor look directly at us and say "trombones, I need that louder"!  By the end, my lips were going to fall off.  So glad we don't play in Venus.  Jupiter is a bit trickier than I thought it would be because it jumps in and out of triggers so it's a bit of a tongue twister just at the end.  Saturn, when the brass are well tuned, my god you feel your body vibrate with those granite resonating chords.  It's very powerful experience from inside the orchestra in the brass section.  I don't remember much from Uranus other than it sat nicely and the low E was a ton of fun to just belt that one out.  Neptune, is just a favorite and though we have just a handful of notes, they're so mesmerizing!
https://clyp.it/m5l0t4wq

Excellent.

Olias

I didn't want to look through 42 pages of replies so sorry if this has already been discussed.  I have several versions but I always seem to go back to the Gardiner recording.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs2vq238vU6k8oG95MUEiyhXN1OBItGj1

One thing I like is the slower tempo on Mars.  Usually I prefer faster tempi on just about everything but this slower Mars is a lot more foreboding to me, like a tank slowly approaching.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Olias on July 28, 2022, 06:51:57 PM
I didn't want to look through 42 pages of replies so sorry if this has already been discussed.  I have several versions but I always seem to go back to the Gardiner recording.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs2vq238vU6k8oG95MUEiyhXN1OBItGj1

One thing I like is the slower tempo on Mars.  Usually I prefer faster tempi on just about everything but this slower Mars is a lot more foreboding to me, like a tank slowly approaching.

I had a slightly different take on the Gardiner Planets:

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/gardiner-1994/

Olias

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 28, 2022, 07:57:26 PM
I had a slightly different take on the Gardiner Planets:

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/gardiner-1994/

That's okay, it's why we have so many recordings to choose from.  :)  I also like the Bernstein despite the performance errors, and also the Dutoit.  Considering all the ones you've heard, have you ever put together a "perfect" version based on your personal favorites of each movement?
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein