Holst's The Planets

Started by Elgarian, April 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidA

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 27, 2012, 07:50:26 PM
Yes - a most special version!  Very exciting!

I used to have this on cassette. Very good version.

Today I have both the Karajan versions and one by Previn on Telarc.

vandermolen

I think that any performance stands or falls by 'Saturn - the Bringer of Old Age' my favourite movement by far (and Holst's too I think). Boult in his myriad performances is very strong here. After all Boult, according to Holst 'first made the Planets shine'. I also like Steinberg, Bernard Herrmann, and Karajan on DGG and Decca. Recently I went to see Holst's grave in Chichester Cathedral.

'Pluto' was a disaster and just as the astronomers decided that it was no longer a planet!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jochanaan

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2012, 06:39:57 PM
How long is a Pluto year?...
Longer than you or I will ever see. :blank:
Quote from: vandermolen on October 19, 2013, 09:31:57 AM
...'Pluto' was a disaster and just as the astronomers decided that it was no longer a planet!
I haven't heard "Pluto" yet.  It's perhaps the only piece of music I have no interest in hearing.  How can you follow Neptune's long long celestial fadeout?!
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Dax

Pluto's awful. Listen to it on YouTube.

vandermolen

Quote from: jochanaan on October 24, 2013, 06:57:12 PM
Longer than you or I will ever see. :blank:I haven't heard "Pluto" yet.  It's perhaps the only piece of music I have no interest in hearing.  How can you follow Neptune's long long celestial fadeout?!

You can't. That's why Colin Matthews had to bring it back again at the end of 'Pluto'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dax on October 25, 2013, 12:40:46 AM

I trust you. I shan't.

0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Pluto isn't even a planet anymore, so there's no reason to hear that..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

The Asteroid Belt, symphonic suite in ca. 1,300,000 parts.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Dax

Quote from: karlhenning on October 25, 2013, 04:03:53 AM
I trust you. I shan't.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but its many-layered incompetence has to be heard to be believed - 30 seconds will probably do the trick.

jochanaan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 25, 2013, 02:43:11 AM
You can't. That's why Colin Matthews had to bring it back again at the end of 'Pluto'.
Ah, he "pulled a Sussmayer!"  :P (Reference to Mozart Requiem.)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: vandermolen on October 19, 2013, 09:31:57 AM'Pluto' was a disaster and just as the astronomers decided that it was no longer a planet!

Quote from: jochanaan on October 24, 2013, 06:57:12 PMI haven't heard "Pluto" yet.  It's perhaps the only piece of music I have no interest in hearing.  How can you follow Neptune's long long celestial fadeout?!

Quote from: vandermolen on October 25, 2013, 02:43:11 AMYou can't. That's why Colin Matthews had to bring it back again at the end of 'Pluto'.

Quote from: Dax on October 25, 2013, 12:40:46 AM

Quote from: karlhenning on October 25, 2013, 04:03:53 AMI trust you. I shan't.

For anyone game enough to try, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/v/9IA7BfZZd_Q

71 dB

How about Colin Matthews doing Eris;D

Eris was discovered in 2005 and appears to be larger than Pluto. At first it was called the tenth planet of our solar system, but in 2006 International Astronomical Union defined the term "planet". Pluto and Eris aren't massive enough to meet the criteria, so they are dwarf planets.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Getting back on topic, what does everyone think of Sir Rattle's performance with the Berliners? I think it's one of the finest on record. I never cared for many of the ones that seem to be rated the highest. I also like Mackerras' performance a lot, although he sometimes adopts a faster tempi in certain sections that I feel need to be taken a bit slower and should be allowed to wallow in a bit. I'm thinking here of Saturn and Neptune. I still need to hear the Steinberg/BSO recording which I've embarrassingly continue to ignore for no good reason. Perhaps I'll give it a spin later on today.

As for the discussion of Matthews' Pluto, I have no interest in hearing it whatsoever.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 09:09:56 AM
Getting back on topic, what does everyone think of Sir Rattle's performance with the Berliners? I think it's one of the finest on record. I never cared for many of the ones that seem to be rated the highest.

I haven't heard the Rattle version yet. I'm interested in hearing what Simon and the Berliners do with The Planets.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 09:09:56 AMI also like Mackerras' performance a lot, although he sometimes adopts a faster tempi in certain sections that I feel need to be taken a bit slower and should be allowed to wallow in a bit. I'm thinking here of Saturn and Neptune. I still need to hear the Steinberg/BSO recording which I've embarrassingly continue to ignore for no good reason. Perhaps I'll give it a spin later on today.

The Steinberg version is highly regarded, but for me it's a little too zippy. It's a fairly breathless reading, and one that I find it exciting, but the problem for me is that it doesn't allow me to linger on anything. I might want to savour a certain part of the suite, but Steinberg will say, "No, there's no time, we must keep moving." Everything seems to be treated in such a brisk manner that I keep wanting to say "Billy! Relax, enjoy!". The timings might indicate that, tempo-wise, it's a fairly average reading, but it all just feels so fast.

This is The Planets to listen to if you've had too much coffee.

Here's his Mars:

https://www.youtube.com/v/PlHn90j2Ri4

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 09:09:56 AMAs for the discussion of Matthews' Pluto, I have no interest in hearing it whatsoever.

I've heard it once. I don't want to hear it again.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 03, 2015, 01:46:19 PM
I haven't heard the Rattle version yet. I'm interested in hearing what Simon and the Berliners do with The Planets.

The Steinberg version is highly regarded, but for me it's a little too zippy. It's a fairly breathless reading, and one that I find it exciting, but the problem for me is that it doesn't allow me to linger on anything. I might want to savour a certain part of the suite, but Steinberg will say, "No, there's no time, we must keep moving." Everything seems to be treated in such a brisk manner that I keep wanting to say "Billy! Relax, enjoy!". The timings might indicate that, tempo-wise, it's a fairly average reading, but it all just feels so fast.

This is The Planets to listen to if you've had too much coffee.

Here's his Mars:

https://www.youtube.com/v/PlHn90j2Ri4

I've heard it once. I don't want to hear it again.

Of the 15 something performances I've heard of The Planets, Rattle/Berlin and Bernstein/NY Philharmonic go straight to the top. I'm kind of cautious to hear Steinberg's performance now. For me, listening to his Saturn and Neptune will be the ultimate test to see whether I enjoy what he does with the work. Thanks for your feedback, Peter.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 02:10:54 PMOf the 15 something performances I've heard of The Planets, Rattle/Berlin and Bernstein/NY Philharmonic go straight to the top. ...

Now I definitely want to hear the Rattle.

And now I want to hear Bernstein's as well.

or     

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 02:10:54 PM... I'm kind of cautious to hear Steinberg's performance now. For me, listening to his Saturn and Neptune will be the ultimate test to see whether I enjoy what he does with the work. Thanks for your feedback, Peter.

No problem. You might not find Steinberg's Planets as frisky as I did. As people from the land of Americans like to say: "Your mileage may vary."

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 02:10:54 PM
Of the 15 something performances I've heard of The Planets, Rattle/Berlin and Bernstein/NY Philharmonic go straight to the top. I'm kind of cautious to hear Steinberg's performance now. For me, listening to his Saturn and Neptune will be the ultimate test to see whether I enjoy what he does with the work. Thanks for your feedback, Peter.

I've just discovered Simon Rattle has an earlier The Planets, with the Philharmonia Orchestra. It's from 1987. (Details at Amazon.co.uk)

You can hear both Rattle versions in their entirety (entireties?) on Spotify:

Holst: The Planets, Op. 32 - Philharmonia Orchestra / Sir Simon Rattle (1987)

Holst: The Planets, Op. 32 - Berliner Philharmoniker / Sir Simon Rattle (2006)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 02:10:54 PM
d

Karajan/Decca is the best I know of, but have not heard Rattle.

Green Destiny

^^Reading this thread I remembered that I bought Steinberg's Planets/TSZ recording a couple of years ago and haven't even listened to it yet! - I will give it a spin sometime today. Thanks for the reminder gents :)