Holst's The Planets

Started by Elgarian, April 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I still see room to make a case for listening to Bernstein on his own merits, and not as a contrast to Boult  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Ken, you have the concertos &c. box:  What's your read on Lenny there?

(Disclosure:  This discussion pushed me to pull the trigger at last on that box.  No, I've not yet done with — nor really properly plunged into — the symphonies box, yet ....)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on January 09, 2015, 06:17:07 AM
Ken, you have the concertos &c. box:  What's your read on Lenny there?

(Disclosure:  This discussion pushed me to pull the trigger at last on that box.  No, I've not yet done with — nor really properly plunged into — the symphonies box, yet ....)

Have not heard it yet. I will listen this weekend.
It's a box worth having ...

alkan

Quote from: karlhenning on January 09, 2015, 06:00:40 AM
You've got me curious, though.  Do you mean the 30.xi.1971 NY Phil performance, or another?  Thanks!
Hi Karl,

It's with the NY Phil, but I'm not sure about the date.

To my ears, Boult's Mars really sounds like the Bringer of War.
Bernstein's Mars sounds more like the Bringer of Star Wars.

I'm not anti-Bernstein  (his Mahler 6 is my favourite and one of the most powerful recordings ever made), but I do have trouble with his Mars Attacks .....
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

vandermolen

I really like Sargent's two recordings of The Planets. The CFP BBC SO version is a classic one but sadly only available at an absurd price unless you opt for a download. There is, however, also a very good live performance on BBC Radio Classics which I just picked up for about 20p on Amazon. There is a fair amount of coughing but the performance is very exciting. Also for a few pence I have just ordered the James Loughran (of Havergal Brian fame) recording which is highly regarded.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on January 10, 2015, 11:36:17 AM
I really like Sargent's two recordings of The Planets. The CFP BBC SO version is a classic one but sadly only available at an absurd price unless you opt for a download. There is, however, also a very good live performance on BBC Radio Classics which I just picked up for about 20p on Amazon. There is a fair amount of coughing but the performance is very exciting. Also for a few pence I have just ordered the James Loughran (of Havergal Brian fame) recording which is highly regarded.

There was also a recording with the LSO on Decca:

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on January 10, 2015, 12:05:56 PM
There was also a recording with the LSO on Decca:

Thanks so much. I remember that LP and the fine old Decca Eclipse LP label with much affection. Sargent must have recorded The Planets more times that I realised.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2015, 09:01:11 PM
Anyway, here's a fun idea, if you could indulge us, what are your top 5 favorite performances of The Planets or have you not reached the point where you could give a list of favorites?

I'm awfully pleased (or foolhardy) to say that my list of Planets recommendations is fully underway. And I'm not going for a top 5 – I'm going for a top everything.

I'm listening to every version I can find, and writing about 'em. When I've finished, I'll be ranking them.

I have 28 versions at the moment, and have commented on 21 of them so far.

Are there any versions you want me to hear and talk about? I want to be as comprehensive as possible. (I also want to be more succinct in what I've been writing about each recording, but that ain't gonna happen.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 10, 2015, 03:22:03 PM
I'm awfully pleased (or foolhardy) to say that my list of Planets recommendations is fully underway. And I'm not going for a top 5 – I'm going for a top everything.

I'm listening to every version I can find, and writing about 'em. When I've finished, I'll be ranking them.

I have 28 versions at the moment, and have commented on 21 of them so far.

Are there any versions you want me to hear and talk about? I want to be as comprehensive as possible. (I also want to be more succinct in what I've been writing about each recording, but that ain't gonna happen.)

Have you listened to Mehta, Maazel, or Levine yet?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 10, 2015, 07:51:25 PM
Have you listened to Mehta, Maazel, or Levine yet?

Yep. Nope. Yep.

I've heard the Mehta twice so far, but haven't written about it.

I haven't heard the Maazel, but I have heard that it's absolutely dreadful. (Because of that, I'm really looking forward to hearing it. How bad can it be?)

I've heard the Levine once, and have written about it. But I'll listen to it again and write a bit more.

vandermolen

Top 5 not in order:

Steinberg
Boult (1945 recording and last EMI version - remember that Boult conducted the first ever performance of The Planets)
Sargent (BBC CFP version or LSO Decca)
Bernard Herrmann
Bernstein (Sony)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 10, 2015, 09:11:54 PM
I haven't heard the Maazel, but I have heard that it's absolutely dreadful. (Because of that, I'm really looking forward to hearing it. How bad can it be?)

Some of us don't think it bad at all...different, yeah, but not bad. Definitely has a unique sound:

Quote from: M forever on August 07, 2007, 09:46:42 PM...one of my own favorite versions of this piece is the one with Maazel and the Orchestre National de France, be the interpretation "right" or "wrong", I don't know, I just love the sound of the French woodwind, the slender but luminously sonorous brass, and the silky strings, in general and in this work in particular, and it appears to me that this sound comes fairly close to what Holst may have had in mind.

In any case, looking forward to your reviews.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

relm1

To me, the best performance is a combo of Dutoit/Montreal, Mehta/NYPhil, and Levine/Chicago:
Mars: First half is Levine/Chicago.  Second half is definitely Dutoit by a large margine.  The first half of Mars with Dutoit has alot of distracting mistakes.
Venus: Dutoit
Mercury: Levine
Jupiter: Levine or Dutoit
Saturn: Mehta/NYPhil
Uranus: Levine or Dutoit
Neptune: Dutoit

vandermolen

Latest manifestation of the fine old Steinberg recording. Very inexpensive too on Amazon UK:
[asin]B000S08YJ6[/asin]

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2015, 03:37:40 PM
Latest manifestation of the fine old Steinberg recording. Very inexpensive too on Amazon UK:
[asin]B000S08YJ6[/asin]

I'm not a huge fan of Steinberg's Planets, but the completist in me is whispering in my ear: "Buy, buy, buy!"

I think I'll buy Steinberg's Planets.

Daverz

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 15, 2015, 01:17:08 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Steinberg's Planets, but the completist in me is whispering in my ear: "Buy, buy, buy!"

But the Originals issue also has Steinberg's Also Sprach.

[asin]B000056TKD[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 15, 2015, 01:17:08 PM

Yes, you have no choice.  >:D

Moonfish

Quote from: vandermolen on January 10, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

I think the BBC SO version can be found in the Sargent Icon box.

[asin] B00I3LJRCA[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Quote from: Moonfish on January 15, 2015, 05:11:25 PM
I think the BBC SO version can be found in the Sargent Icon box.

[asin] B00I3LJRCA[/asin]

Yes, I have that box set, which is great and also contains Sargent's very much underrated recording of Walton's First Symphony, which I prefer to the eulogised Previn RCA recording.

Moonfish

Quote from: vandermolen on January 17, 2015, 09:53:01 AM
Yes, I have that box set, which is great and also contains Sargent's very much underrated recording of Walton's First Symphony, which I prefer to the eulogised Previn RCA recording.

That box made me appreciate Sargent's legacy for the first time. I still need to listen to the Walton 1. Thanks for recommending it, Vandermolen!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé