Holst's The Planets

Started by Elgarian, April 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Christo on March 02, 2015, 03:44:27 PM
Just counted, I own 22 versions of The Planets. Without ever trying hard at all, just accidentally bought over the years. And heard The Planets live just once, in Barbican, London, Mark Elder conducting (forgot which of the six London orchestras). Time that you offer your Top Ten, so that I can do away with half of them.  ;D

Well, you can send them my way. All donations gratefully received.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 02, 2015, 04:20:22 PM
Speaking of Mark Elder and live recordings of The Planets, there's a live recording from the 1999 Proms that was released on CD. It was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday 18 July 1999, with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales.

I've bought it, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Incidentally (and coincidentally), The Planets will be performed by The Hallé Orchestra and Mark Elder in Manchester next month (Thursday 16 April 2015 at 7:30 PM).

Yep. It doesn't seem likely that the Hilary Davan Wetton version is going to appear anytime soon (unless I hear back from Hilary, who I emailed a few days ago), so I think I'll post the full list soon. I'm finishing up my review of Stokowski's 1943 recording, and once that's done I'll have 74 recordings for your delectation. 75 if that live Elder recording arrives in time.

Onward and upward!

You won't believe this (I don't believe it myself), but about an hour after I posted that message I checked the letterbox, and there it was: the live Elder Proms recording.

Oh, and it wasn't recorded in 1999. The CD back cover says it was recorded on 10 September 1998.

Peter Power Pop

Another one. This is from Australia:

José Serebrier, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, 1977

Peter Power Pop

brunumb

Peter Power Pop

Christo

For those who don't have Spotify (I do ;)), the LP version - George Hurst conducting the Bournemouth SO - is also on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ea7XNQY92k&list=PL19D152F26E24F66C
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Christo on March 03, 2015, 10:50:19 PM
For those who don't have Spotify (I do ;)), the LP version - George Hurst conducting the Bournemouth SO - is also on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ea7XNQY92k&list=PL19D152F26E24F66C

Excellent. Thanks for that, Christo. I've added it to the post:

George Hurst, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, 1974

aukhawk

I haven't listened to the Planets for years, but I looked up my old copy of Judd the other day - was rather shocked to hear an engineered fade-out finish to Neptune, rather than a sung diminuendo.
Then last night I downloaded Karajan/VPO (wow!) and blow me, I think that one's engineered as well - or at least, helped on its way.  Shame on you, John Culshaw!

I don't think you'll ever find every recording - have you come across Djong Victorin Yu - probably out of budget, if you must have hardcopy  :o
[asin]B000P12CZU[/asin]

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: aukhawk on March 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AM
I haven't listened to the Planets for years, but I looked up my old copy of Judd the other day - was rather shocked to hear an engineered fade-out finish to Neptune, rather than a sung diminuendo.
Then last night I downloaded Karajan/VPO (wow!) and blow me, I think that one's engineered as well - or at least, helped on its way.  Shame on you, John Culshaw!

I must admit I didn't notice anything untoward when I heard those beasties. I'll have another listen to them.

Quote from: aukhawk on March 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AMI don't think you'll ever find every recording - ...

Probably not. I've found 76 so far.

Quote from: aukhawk on March 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AM... have you come across Djong Victorin Yu - ...

Yep. And reviewed it.

Quote from: aukhawk on March 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AM...probably out of budget, if you must have hardcopy  :o
[asin]B000P12CZU[/asin]

Eep!

That Amazon.com price ($31) is pretty gruesome, but at least it's lower than the two copies on eBay (AUS$76 and AUS$65).

I don't have the CD (and I'm not about to get it any time soon, given those prices). I heard it on Spotify:

https://play.spotify.com/album/5l7WUFv9D4znnfl7aeisTd

I'll post the review for that one shortly.

vandermolen

I probably have at least that number  ::)

Off the top of my head and from work as I am bored:

(not in any order)

Bernard Herrmann

Boult (1944 and last EMI version)

Holst

Steinberg

Solti

Hurst

Karajan (Decca or DGG)

Andrew Davis

Sargent (BBC version)

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: aukhawk on March 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AMI haven't listened to the Planets for years, but I looked up my old copy of Judd the other day - was rather shocked to hear an engineered fade-out finish to Neptune, rather than a sung diminuendo. ...

It sure sounds like a fade-out.

Quote from: aukhawk on March 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AMThen last night I downloaded Karajan/VPO (wow!) and blow me, I think that one's engineered as well - or at least, helped on its way. ...

Hmm. Maybe.

Quote from: aukhawk on March 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AM... Shame on you, John Culshaw!

But John seemed such a nice young man...

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: aukhawk on March 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AM... I don't think you'll ever find every recording - have you come across Djong Victorin Yu - probably out of budget, if you must have hardcopy  :o
[asin]B000P12CZU[/asin]

Here' the Yu review*:

Djong Victorin Yu, Philharmonia Orchestra, 1998

(*Rhyme intended.)

Peter Power Pop

Here's Mark Elder's live recording from the 1998 Proms. It was released on CD, so it got reviewed:

Mark Elder, BBC National Orchestra of Wales, 1998

Unfortunately, that recording isn't on Spotify. So unless you'd like a copy, you'll have to make do with just the words (and your imagination).

Unfortunately Part 2: There are a few Planets recordings in the list that aren't available on Spotify or YouTube. If anyone has any suggestions about how I can get you to hear the albums, I'm all ears and eyes.

brunumb

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 03, 2015, 05:00:46 PM
Yep. That's been reviewed. I'll post that shortly.

Thank you very much Peter   :)

aukhawk

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: aukhawk on March 05, 2015, 03:24:13 AM
Just FYI that link is wrong (the date bit has slipped) - but I found it at
Djong Victorin Yu, Philharmonia Orchestra, 1998

Yeah, sorry about that, aukhawk. I've finally finalised the final list, and the numbering and sorting has begun.

I'll post all the updated links soon-ish.

relm1

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 05, 2015, 03:27:56 AM
I've finally finalised the final list, and the numbering and sorting has begun.

I'll post all the updated links soon-ish.

I thought for sure the process of your having listened to 90 some odd recordings of the planets would have a tremendous impact on how you assess the work in the first place, so that upon completion you would immediately start all over again but this time incorporating what you learned having already gone through this effort.  I am teasing of course... Your list is a valuable compendium.