Holst's The Planets

Started by Elgarian, April 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 09, 2015, 10:05:17 PM
I already have a slight headstart on the work. I have seven versions of the Tallis Fantasia at the moment:

Tempted. Tempted.

:D ;D Me too. I own about ten recordings. Would be nice to find out how much the Tallis Fantasia played a role in the gestation of The Planets (both composers were close friends and more than that: worked together in 'field days' before they released their major compositions).

I find this re-enactment of the original Gloucester Cathedral premiere of 1910 rather inspiring BTW:
https://www.youtube.com/v/ihx5LCF1yJY
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Peter Power Pop

Here are the suggestions so far for Peter Pestering Another Piece Of Classical Music:

• Elgar - Enigma Variations
  • Prokofiev - Alexander Nevsky
  • Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade
  • Sibelius - Violin Concerto
  • R. Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps
  • Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

What else?

Moonfish

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 09, 2015, 11:29:14 PM
Here are the suggestions so far for Peter Pestering Another Piece Of Classical Music:

What else?

Hmm, what about Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead?   8)

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on March 09, 2015, 11:56:30 PM

In its favour: I've never heard it. (Fresh ears, no bias.)

To its detriment: It may not be a piece of music people will storm down the barricades to hear multiple versions of. ("Isle of the what now?")

Moonfish

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 10, 2015, 12:07:41 AM
In its favour: I've never heard it. (Fresh ears, no bias.)

To its detriment: It may not be a piece of music people will storm down the barricades to hear multiple versions of. ("Isle of the what now?")

It is a great piece (IMHO). It has the popular qualities and the power of the Planets, but with a strong undertow pulling one along. I guess I am a bit biased!  :D

Besides, I think you are due for a vacation? What about Mars?    ;)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 09, 2015, 11:29:14 PM

What else?

Quote from: Moonfish on March 09, 2015, 11:56:30 PM

I must admit I'm leaning away from the Tallis Fantasia. I'm wanting to do something that's longer than a one-movement piece lasting only 15-20 minutes. (For me, it would be like seeing a comparison of 50 different Barber Adagio for Strings. I don't think anyone would want to see that.)

Of the pieces suggested so far, I'm leaning towards Scheherazade, Also Sprach Zarathustra, and maybe Alexander Nevsky.

Moonfish: I'll have a listen to Isle of the Dead, but I don't hold much hope for it as the subject of an extensive survey.

https://www.youtube.com/v/dbbtmskCRUY

Oh. That only goes 20-ish minutes as well.

But I'm having a listen and enjoying it. Is this the Rachula piece that quotes the Dies Irae? Or is that Rachme Amadeus's The Bells?

Update: It's The Bells that has the Dies Irae in it. (Wikipedia told me.)

Update 2: As the Isle of the Dead progresses (I'm at the 7-minute mark), it reminds me of Stravinsky's description of Sergei: "Six foot six of Russian gloom."

Moonfish

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 10, 2015, 12:26:11 AM
I must admit I'm leaning away from the Tallis Fantasia. I'm wanting to do something that's longer than a one-movement piece lasting only 15-20 minutes. (For me, it would be like seeing a comparison of 50 different Barber Adagio for Strings. I don't think anyone would want to see that.)

Of the pieces suggested so far, I'm leaning towards Scheherazade, Also Sprach Zarathustra, and maybe Alexander Nevsky.

Moonfish: I'll have a listen to Isle of the Dead, but I don't hold much hope for it as the subject of an extensive survey.

https://www.youtube.com/v/dbbtmskCRUY

But I'm having a listen and enjoying it. Is this the Rachula piece that quotes the Dies Irae? Or is that Rachme Amadeus's The Bells?

Are you looking for a 40-60 minute piece of music?
Anna Lappé

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on March 10, 2015, 12:27:39 AM

Something at least half an hour, and more than one movement. Scheherazade fits the bill beautifully.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on March 10, 2015, 12:27:39 AM

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 10, 2015, 12:31:59 AM
Something at least half an hour, and more than one movement. Scheherazade fits the bill beautifully.

Oh, and I'd ideally want it to be a popular piece. ("But doesn't everyone want to hear all the available versions of Enzio Fermagelli's Ode to the Paint Drying in My Kitchen?")

Moonfish

Hmmm, this would be perhaps be a bit too overwhelming, but also incredibly cool...

Carl Orff's Carmina Burana!!    Beware: several hundred recordings...  :D :D :D >:D

https://www.youtube.com/v/qULiPyKg_mY
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Scheherazade is indeed a beautiful piece of music...
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I just realized that Orff will probably wear off one's ears after listening to thirty renditions...  >:(
Anna Lappé

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on March 10, 2015, 12:37:45 AM
Hmmm, this would be perhaps be a bit too overwhelming, but also incredibly cool...

Carl Orff's Carmina Burana!!    Beware: several hundred recordings...  :D :D :D >:D

https://www.youtube.com/v/qULiPyKg_mY

I'm up for it.

I've only just come out of my Carmina Burana phase (to go straight into my Planets phase). I bought 26 Carmina Burana CDs as a result of it, and I can easily go back there.

Quote from: Moonfish on March 10, 2015, 12:41:11 AM
I just realized that Orff will probably wear off one's ears after listening to thirty renditions...  >:(

Pfft. That's nothin'. Those 26 Carmina Buranas I bought were just the ones I liked.

However, I must warn you that any Carmina Burana list I make may well be unnecessary. Top Ear reviewer Jeremy Lee gave it a red hot go, and reviewed piles of 'em (I counted 22 in his survey):

https://topear.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/comprehensive-review-orffs-carmina-burana/

Discogs lists 310 CDs of Carmina Burana. I dare say most of those would be the Herbert Kegel version that gets reissued on different record labels mercilessly.

North Star

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 10, 2015, 12:26:11 AMMoonfish: I'll have a listen to Isle of the Dead, but I don't hold much hope for it as the subject of an extensive survey.

Update: It's The Bells that has the Dies Irae in it. (Wikipedia told me.)

Update 2: As the Isle of the Dead progresses (I'm at the 7-minute mark), it reminds me of Stravinsky's description of Sergei: "Six foot six of Russian gloom."

Dies Irae is certainly in the Isle, and in several other works by Rakhmaninov.
http://www.ukessays.com/essays/music/dies-irae-the-haunting-of-rachmaninov-music-essay.php
http://www.victoryvinny.com/svr_and_di/RachmaninovandDiesIrae-Version04.pdf
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Christo

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 10, 2015, 12:31:59 AMSomething at least half an hour, and more than one movement. Scheherazade fits the bill beautifully.

Would be a choice I would endorse with enthusiasm, too. (Of course, after the Tallis Fantasia or A Pastoral Symphony).  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2015, 05:42:52 AM
Or The Oceanides -
Did Celibidache record Oceanides:laugh:

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on March 10, 2015, 06:14:15 AM
Did Celibidache record Oceanides:laugh:
It did not fit on a disk!   :P
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image