Holst's The Planets

Started by Elgarian, April 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Sacrée vache!  He cut The Planets?  Was nothing safe from his tampering?!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pat B

Quote from: karlhenning on March 26, 2015, 10:54:31 AM
Sacrée vache!  He cut The Planets?  Was nothing safe from his tampering?!

I think André was referring to Ormandy's Scheherazade. To answer the question: I don't know. I have probably only listened to it once, years ago, since getting another recording.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pat B

Quote from: karlhenning on March 26, 2015, 11:46:55 AM
Oh!  Still . . . .

You're quick!

For what's worth, my recollection is that it has bigger problems than a cut.

Peter Power Pop

This is excellent. You're all doing a Scheherazade survey for me.

Karl Henning

Hey, nothing wrong with making it a communal effort!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2015, 03:54:33 AM
Hey, nothing wrong with making it a communal effort!

No sirree.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 25, 2015, 01:49:00 AM
Now to see how many recordings there are of Le Sacre du Printemps, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Pictures at an Exhibition, La Mer, Concerto for Orchestra etc.

Just take your time and do all of them!

Or maybe what about Bartok's Music For Strings Percussion and Celesta?
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Christo on March 26, 2015, 02:43:15 AM
Amstelodamum. For you.

Thanks. (I think.)

Now to find out what "Amstelodamum" means (I'm guessing it doesn't mean someone's mum called "Amstelo")...

According to the Dutch Wikipedia, "Amstelodamum" is a "Nederlands genootschap".

Now before you ask what a "genootschap" is, I'll tell you (or more accurately, Dutch Wikipedia will tell you):

"Een genootschap is een vereniging wier leden genoten genoemd worden."

So there you have it. That's what a "genootschap" is.

Out of those words in the description, I recognised "is".

Update: I used Google Translate, and discovered this (on the same Dutch Wikipedia page):

"The Society Amstelodamum is a Dutch society that is fighting for the preservation of the city of Amsterdam."

Okey dokey then.

kishnevi

Anglophone Wiki
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genootschap
Each member voluntarily joins his or her fate with that of his or her fellow members and that of the genootschap's ups and downs. Such a society also usually has a number of other characteristics :

Size and composition: The number of members of a society is limited. A society can be sizeable, but it is never a mass association. Thus its intentions are decided only by its character.
Objective: The target of a genootschap is always carried forward by its members with a certain degree of seriousness, as well as a great social aim. From this also results its solemn character and interest in decorum.

Does GMG qualify as a genootschap?
ETA. Probably not, if solemn character and interest in decorum are essential elements.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 27, 2015, 04:04:47 PM
Just take your time and do all of them!

Or maybe what about Bartok's Music For Strings Percussion and Celesta?

Isn't that the piece in which all interpretations bow down to Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and every other recording of it is rubbish?

https://www.youtube.com/v/w3dR3McS69Y

https://www.youtube.com/v/QVdCcFo_HnA

https://www.youtube.com/v/Wqaeeu1nux4

https://www.youtube.com/v/ppsV4HoCVqc

Hmm. It's not the kind of music that encourages me to listen to it over and over again. (I can't picture saying to myself, "I think I'll listen to that one more time.")

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 27, 2015, 08:16:25 PM
Anglophone Wiki
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genootschap
Does GMG qualify as a genootschap?
ETA. Probably not, if solemn character and interest in decorum are essential elements.

I must admit that every time I see the word "genootschap", I want to say "Bless you" and hand someone a tissue.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 24, 2015, 05:28:09 PM
I thought about Daphnis et Chloé, with Ravel being my favourite 20th Century composer and all, but I think that particular ballet goes on way too long.

La Mer is well worth considering. (I hadn't thought of that one.)

As for Le Sacre du Printemps, I already have a favourite: Riccardo Chailly's 1987 recording with The Cleveland Orchestra.

Nevertheless, Le Sacre is entirely doable. It wouldn't be much of a stretch for me, because last year I went through a heavy-duty Stravinsky ballet phase, listening to as many of the three big ones (The Firebird, Petrushka, The Rite of Spring) as possible.

If I was to do a Vaughan Williams symphony, it'd be his 5th. I love, love, love the slow movement, and if I did a survey of the symphony I'd probably spend almost all of my time talking about that slow movement. Love it.

But I like the idea of La Mer.

I'm liking the idea of La Mer more and more.

I already have six versions on CD:

So that's a good start.

And yesterday I found 26 La Mers in the one place. Woohoo!

However, when it comes to works by Debussy, I prefer Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune.

It looks like Le Sacre du Printemps is fading into the distance for a survey. But just a little. I'm extremely keen on doing Le Sacre, if only because I have the perfect title for the blog: "Peter's Rite".

So far, it's neck-and-neck: La Mer and Le Sacre du Printemps*.

(*Anyone seeing that title for the first time might be forgiven for thinking it translates to "The Scary Print Imps".)

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 27, 2015, 09:51:08 PM
I'm liking the idea of La Mer more and more.

I already have six versions on CD:

So that's a good start.

And yesterday I found 26 La Mers in the one place. Woohoo!

However, when it comes to works by Debussy, I prefer Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune.

It looks like Le Sacre du Printemps is fading into the distance for a survey. But just a little. I'm extremely keen on doing Le Sacre, if only because I have the perfect title for the blog: "Peter's Rite".

So far, it's neck-and-neck: La Mer and Le Sacre du Printemps*.

(*Anyone seeing that title for the first time might be forgiven for thinking it translates to "The Scary Print Imps".)

I just bought four more La Mer CDs:

This is eating into my Planets money. But I'd say it's for a good cause. (Plus I've just about run out of inexpensive Planets CDs to buy.)

I think the ball has begun rolling.

Christo

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 27, 2015, 07:59:19 PMNow to find out what "Amstelodamum" means (I'm guessing it doesn't mean someone's mum called "Amstelo")...

:) Amstelodamum is the (artificial) Latin name for Amsterdam and the 'genootschap' (society) with the same name is here on earth to promote, preserve, do what it likes - the interest of the city. Its inhabitants (I was one) simply call it 'Mokum', derived via Yiddish from the Hebrew Maqom מָקוֹם(place/town). So it's Mokum for me and Amstelodamum for you.  ;D Back to La Mer, an intriguing idea!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Christo on March 28, 2015, 12:17:50 AM
:) Amstelodamum is the (artificial) Latin name for Amsterdam and the 'genootschap' (society) with the same name is here on earth to promote, preserve, do what it likes - the interest of the city. Its inhabitants (I was one) simply call it 'Mokum', derived via Yiddish from the Hebrew Maqom מָקוֹם(place/town). So it's Mokum for me and Amstelodamum for you.  ;D Back to La Mer, an intriguing idea!

Thanks for elucidating, Christo.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 27, 2015, 08:28:41 PM
Isn't that the piece in which all interpretations bow down to Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and every other recording of it is rubbish?

Absolutely not, Mr. Power Pop!  In addition to Reiner, I own and enjoy recordings by Boulez, Bernstein, Dorati, Karajan, and James Levine, who all do the piece justice.

EDIT:  And Fricsay!

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 27, 2015, 08:28:41 PM
Hmm. It's not the kind of music that encourages me to listen to it over and over again. (I can't picture saying to myself, "I think I'll listen to that one more time.")

Understood. Hey, it was worth a shot. La Mer would by a great choice, btw. I guess you gave up on Pictures at some point?
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

kishnevi

Quote from: Christo on March 28, 2015, 12:17:50 AM

To add a twist on that, the original Hebrew word is one of the common titles of God (haMakom), usually in that context translated as "the Omnipresent".  The usage derives in turn from a rabbinic expression of God's transcendence: He is the place of the world but He has no place in it.

Now back to Holst's HaKokhavim-lechet.  Or Debussy's HaYam.

kishnevi

BTW, if you are going to do La Mer,  this seems a good thread to revive for that purpose.
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,11445.msg588354.html#msg588354

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 28, 2015, 07:11:03 AM
Absolutely not, Mr. Power Pop!  In addition to Reiner, I own and enjoy recordings by Boulez, Bernstein, Dorati, Karajan, and James Levine, who all do the piece justice.

EDIT:  And Fricsay!

Okey dokey.

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 28, 2015, 07:11:03 AMUnderstood. Hey, it was worth a shot. La Mer would be a great choice, btw. I guess you gave up on Pictures at some point?

Not give up per se. It sort of fell by the wayside. When Christo suggested La Mer, that suddenly became more attractive than all the other frontrunners I was pondering.

The other frontrunners I was pondering:

• Pictures at an Exhibition
  • Enigma Variations
  • Le Sacre du Printemps
  • Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Ex-frontrunners:

• Scheherazade
  • Also Sprach Zarathustra
I actually want to do all of those eventually, but there's something about listening to loads of La Mers that I find irresistible.

Scheherazade Update: I'm now on my fourth straight day of listening to nothing but Scheherazade, and I'm just about all Scheherazaded out. Unfortunately, I enjoyed almost every version I heard, which I think is A Very Bad Thing for a list of recommended Scheherazades. My favourite is the one I'm listening to at the moment. Believe it or not, it's Karajan's 1967 recording with the Berliner Philharmoniker. I say "believe it or not" because I don't usually like Mr. von K.'s efforts on the podium, but just about everything here – despite more duff notes from the Berliners than I had imagined – ticks all my Scheherazade boxes.