Dieter Schnebel (1930-)

Started by petrarch, April 29, 2012, 03:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petrarch

Been revisiting german composer Dieter Schnebel lately, focusing on two of his works, Sinfonie X and the string quartet Im Raum. These are broad works that explore and synthesize a number of different elements and styles with a level of craft that will surely please anyone with an ear for modern music. If you like Lachenmann, Xenakis, Cage or Boulez, you'll probably like Schnebel.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000J2V8/?tag=goodmusicguideco

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003YGC7LW/?tag=goodmusicguideco

//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Well, I certainly can't let this go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlBQJzlGseo

:-* ;D :P

He's definitely in the camp. I have enjoyed that SQ disc and have wondered about that Symphony. What's that like? I believe there is also a disc of Chamber Music somewhere...

snyprrr

btw- looks like it's you 'n' me on this one, pet!

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on April 30, 2012, 07:07:11 AM
have wondered about that Symphony. What's that like?

It's massive! 2h 30 mins of music (it occupies 2 of the 3 CDs of the Donaueschinger 1992 box), with great variety. Like Stockhausen's Hymnen with its four regions and four dedicatees, each of the movements in Sinfonie X also has a dedicatee (a grand total of 18 :), e.g. Cage, Feldman, Boulez, Stockhausen, Scelsi, Xenakis, and many others). I got it at the same time as the Cerha Komponistenportrait 2CD also on Col Legno, and although the latter left a deeper impression on me, the Schnebel is one where I like to lose myself in...
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on April 30, 2012, 05:29:51 PM
It's massive! 2h 30 mins of music (it occupies 2 of the 3 CDs of the Donaueschinger 1992 box), with great variety. Like Stockhausen's Hymnen with its four regions and four dedicatees, each of the movements in Sinfonie X also has a dedicatee (a grand total of 18 :), e.g. Cage, Feldman, Boulez, Stockhausen, Scelsi, Xenakis, and many others). I got it at the same time as the Cerha Komponistenportrait 2CD also on Col Legno, and although the latter left a deeper impression on me, the Schnebel is one where I like to lose myself in...

Cool! I just ALMOST pushed the button on the Cerha, but I have to be conservative right now (it's on YT anyhow). Mmm... yea, that Schnebel sounds frothy!! ;)

Gerhard Sta(e)bler is another one you might want to check out.

Also, that SQ disc by the Diotima is typically cool. Have you heard the Eberhard Grosskopf SQs with the Arditti. THAT's one to get!: very Xenakis+Nono+Feldman... subdued in volume, but with lots of wintry sounds... very highly recommended.

I still haven't any orchestral cds by Lachenmann,... and have been considering the 2cd Grammont portrait of Holliger...