German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Que on December 03, 2007, 10:57:14 AM
71 dB, the good news is that Ricercar - now a subsidiairy of Alpha - is busy reissuing:
That's great, there really is a need for reissues!  :P  I hope they will reissue Bruhns' cantatas too.

Thanks Que.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2007, 10:57:29 AM
Perhaps you where not impressed because you don't understand what the music is about?

Perhaps i wasn't clear. I'm not arguing that there aren't interesting composers from this period, only that there are no 'great' ones (great in the same order as a Bach, or a Handel). Not even Buxtehude compares and he's the best of the lot.

71 dB

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 05, 2007, 08:11:07 AM
Perhaps i wasn't clear. I'm arguing that there aren't interesting composers from this period, only that there are no 'great' ones (great in the same order as a Bach, or a Handel). Not even Buxtehude compares and he's the best of the lot.

If you are interested of the "great" ones only your selection is very limited. I rank Buxtehude a great composer, not as great as Bach but great anyway. Bruhns didn't live long but I think he was extremely talented. Thanks to the work done by talented 17th-century composers Bach was able to take his music to the divine level he did.

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2007, 10:57:29 AM
Perhaps you where not impressed because you don't understand what the music is about?

Perhaps he was not impressed because he completely understood what the music is about.

Don

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2007, 08:32:32 AM
Perhaps he was not impressed because he completely understood what the music is about.

Understanding Telemann's music is almost as easy as understanding "Pop goes the weasel".  I very much enjoy Telemann's music, but a little of it goes a long way.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Don on December 05, 2007, 08:44:12 AM
Understanding Telemann's music is almost as easy as understanding "Pop goes the weasel".  I very much enjoy Telemann's music, but a little of it goes a long way.
I am happy to say that I have no single Telemann CD :)
There may be a Telemann piece as a filler on another CD but I can't do anything about that.

Don

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on December 05, 2007, 08:52:47 AM
There may be a Telemann piece as a filler on another CD but I can't do anything about that.

I own about 30 Telemann recordings, much preferring his sacred choral works to his other output.  When was the last time I listened to one of these discs?  Can't even remember, it was so long ago.

Harry

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on December 05, 2007, 08:52:47 AM

And I am happy to say, that I have more the 50 recordings of Telemann's excellent music, so what?
You are happy, I am happy,.
What about this: I am happy to say, that I have not one CD from Wagner, not even as a filler.... :)

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on December 05, 2007, 08:28:58 AM
Bruhns didn't live long but I think he was extremely talented.

Indeed he was........ :)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Harry on December 05, 2007, 09:01:59 AM
What about this: I am happy to say, that I have not one CD from Wagner, not even as a filler.... :)
Good, you are happy, then I am happy for you :D
Oh stop lying, you have CDs with Wagner. I saw you buying a bunch of Siegfried Wagner CDs sometime last year ;)

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on December 05, 2007, 09:02:47 AM
. You never take me seriously and that is insulting.

Not true my friend, I take serious, what you meant to be that...
I respect your opinion, not always agreeing...

karlhenning

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 05, 2007, 08:11:07 AM
Perhaps i wasn't clear. I'm not arguing that there aren't interesting composers from this period, only that there are no 'great' ones (great in the same order as a Bach, or a Handel). Not even Buxtehude compares and he's the best of the lot.

This thread is about lesser composers of that era;  if anyone tries to make it about how people who don't like to spend hours and hours listening to this boilerplate, somehow "don't understand" it, well, he's careening towards some fresh frustration.

Que

It's time to go back to bussines on this thread.... :)

With this Zelenka set (vols. 1-3, previously issued separately) I got on recommendation of several posters here:

Quote from: fl.traverso on July 10, 2007, 04:24:55 PM
CPO released a three-discs-for-the-price-of-one set of complete Zelenka
orchestral works recorded by Jurgen Sonnentheil and his Neu-Eroffnete Orchestre.  This is on period
instruments so the capricci, with their HIGH-lying parts for the corni da caccia, can sound downright scary
for the demands they make on the soloists.  Ensemble isn't exactly tight or neat and inspiration runs
kind of unevenly but for the price (and the valiant performances from the horn players) it is worthy
getting...

Picture is linked for samples & bargain price at jpc

Great set! :) This is most wonderful, imaginative music for chamber orchestra with a prominent role for brass and/or woodwinds. It's executed in very nice idiomatic HIP performances that are warm and intimate and carefully detailed. The only quibble I can think of, is that at times it is maybe just a bit too "cosy" and an extra edge would help to bring out Zelenka's expressiveness more. But as a complete set this will be very hard to beat - and at bargain price as well - strongly recommended! :)

Reviews at Goldbergweb: volume 2 & volume 3

Good heavens, even anti-HIP "Hurwitzer" likes them... but no need to worry. ;D volume 2 & volume 3.

A good and balanced review by Jonathan Woolf on Musicweb.

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 08, 2007, 01:45:50 AM
It's time to go back to bussines on this thread.... :)

With this Zelenka set (vols. 1-3, previously issued separately) I got on recommendation of several posters here:

Picture is linked for samples & bargain price at jpc

Great set! :) This is most wonderful, imaginative music for chamber orchestra with a prominent role for brass and/or woodwinds. It's executed in very nice idiomatic HIP performances that are warm and intimate and carefully detailed. The only quibble I can think of, is that at times it is maybe just a bit too "cosy" and an extra edge would help to bring out Zelenka's expressiveness more. But as a complete set this will be very hard to beat - and at bargain price as well - strongly recommended! :)

Reviews at Goldbergweb: volume 2 & volume 3

Good heavens, even anti-HIP "Hurwitzer" likes them... but no need to worry. ;D volume 2 & volume 3.

A good and balanced review by Jonathan Woolf on Musicweb.

Q

This quibble you have with the cosyness of this set may be remedied with the complete set on Archiv, I am pretty sure you will get the kind of attack you miss in the CPO set, I have both, and I think so..... :)

FideLeo

Quote from: Harry on December 08, 2007, 03:00:13 AM
This quibble you have with the cosyness of this set may be remedied with the complete set on Archiv, I am pretty sure you will get the kind of attack you miss in the CPO set, I have both, and I think so..... :)

Or Supraphon's own disc with "Collegium 1704" which, unlike the Archiv Camerata Bern, plays on period instruments.  The recording has sold so well I have seen no fewer than three reissues.  Some of its musicians reappear in another Czech HIP group called "Musica Florea" (led by cellist Marek Stryncl) whose performance of the Sinfonia "to the Melodrama de Sancto Wenceslao" (in a complete recording) has so much more intensity than the one in the CPO set that I actually played it in repeat for five times in a row when I first got the set. Thrilling!  Too bad they have not recorded more instrumental works by this composer. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on December 08, 2007, 07:39:59 AM
Or Supraphon's own disc with "Collegium 1704" which, unlike the Archiv Camerata Bern, plays on period instruments.  The recording has sold so well I have seen no fewer than three reissues.  Some of its musicians reappear in another Czech HIP group called "Musica Florea" (led by cellist Marek Stryncl) whose performance of the Sinfonia "to the Melodrama de Sancto Wenceslao" (in a complete recording) has so much more intensity than the one in the CPO set that I actually played it in repeat for five times in a row when I first got the set. Thrilling!  Too bad they have not recorded more instrumental works by this composer. 

Excellent!  :) I noticed them before when browsing for more Zelenka, thanks for the reccomendation.

Anyone familiar with this?

Q

Que

A short note on this wonderful recording. I seem to have taken a particular liking for baroque violin sonatas. :) Anyone having the same interest, needn't hesitate on this one. Most important point: this is actually interesting and wonderful music. Not in the "Stylus Phantasticus" like Biber or Schmelzer, but still of "virtuosic" nature and actually reminiscent of Bach's work and of Italian repertoire.
Steck has a bold, intense style and a firm tone, but with good taste - he never overdoes it. A very good baroque violinist indeed.

click picture for samples

REVIEW on MusicWeb

Q

71 dB

Thanks Que for the Pisendel recommendation!
This is a new composer for me and I listened to the clips at JPC website.
You are right, this is enjoyable "Italialized" Bach.

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 22, 2007, 12:46:03 AM
A short note on this wonderful recording. I seem to have taken a particular liking for baroque violin sonatas. :) Anyone having the same interest, needn't hesitate on this one. Most important point: this is actually interesting and wonderful music. Not in the "Stylus Phantasticus" like Biber or Schmelzer, but still of "virtuosic" nature and actually reminiscent of Bach's work and of Italian repertoire.
Steck has a bold, intense style and a firm tone, but with good taste - he never overdoes it. A very good baroque violinist indeed.

click picture for samples

REVIEW on MusicWeb

Q

I second that, indeed I do.... :)