German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: fl.traverso on March 20, 2008, 11:44:30 PM
If only someone called Harry would trade budgets with you....

No need. For now, I am happy buying Tangerine Dream, Autechre, Colin MacIntyre, Lowgold etc.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Que

Click picture for samples

Review on Musicweb

Newly acquired. One of the last of Gluck's "early" operatic work. (He was already 40, but had still over 30 years and many grand operas ahead of him :)). A small scale court opera - also called "serenata" or "festa teatrale" - in two acts. How to characterise it? Charming, with interesting and characterful music that easily keeps attention during the near 1,5 hours of duration. The performance is a delight - absolutely everything is right. Starring Maria Bayo who, as always, firmly projects the charcater of the role she sings. I am impressed by Argentinian soprano Veronica Cangemi, the other singers are very fine as well. Very idiomatic accompaniment by the Cappella Coloniensis under Christopher Mould - in the vein of Tafelmusik under Weil or Freiburger Barokorchester under Von der Goltz.

Of course, this is not a major work in the genre but still a very nice piece - much strengthened by a top notch performance. I think lovers of the baroque opera, or serenatas/oratorios alike, will find this (at bargain price) quite enjoyable.

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: 71 dB on March 21, 2008, 01:02:00 AM
No need. For now, I am happy buying Tangerine Dream, Autechre, Colin MacIntyre, Lowgold etc.  ;)

Why with his budget you could buy your own Tangerine Dream garden.  ;D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

The new erato

Just bought this stunning record:

Some of the best German concertoes this side of Bach, superb playing and great sonics. Written for Hannover by a (assumedly) Bruxellois.

Zig-Zag is fast becoming one of my favorite labels, and certainly THE favorite for unfamiliar baroque music.

Que

Quote from: erato on April 17, 2008, 10:57:04 AM
Just bought this stunning record:

Some of the best German concertoes this side of Bach, superb playing and great sonics. Written for Hannover by a (assumedly) Bruxellois.

Thanks for posting and bumping the thread again. :)
Looks very interesting, I see that it's with David Plantier - a great performer.
I was very curious how it sounded like - link to sample HERE.

It sounds indeed like a mixture of French, German and Italian Baroque styles, and it has a slight Händelean flavour as well, don't you think?

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Que on April 17, 2008, 10:27:46 PM
It sounds indeed like a mixture of French, German and Italian Baroque styles, and it has a slight Händelean flavour as well, don't you think?

Q
Too many winds for Handel, I'd rather think a slightly less quirky Zelenka.

Que

Could I have some of your Heinrich Schütz favourites - works & recordings - please? :)

A composer who inexplicably escaped my attention till now!  :o

Any comments on these?

Recordings by Wilhelm Ehmann on the (tiny) German label Cantate - word has it that these are good...

(plus vols. 2-4)

And what about the Weser-Renaissance under Cordes?

These seem also serious contenders:

Just some random observations - please enlighten me! :)

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 30, 2008, 10:32:02 AM

These seem also serious contenders:

I don't understand what you meant by the word "contenders" -- the recordings you quoted
are of different works by the great Schutz....

IMO the most recorded work by him must be the Musikalisches Exequien.  Do you have a
good recording of it already?  My favourite remains that sung by the Dresdener Kreuzchor
conducted by Rudolf Mauersberger (Berlin Classics).  Peter Schreier was a superb Evangelist
and tenor soloist.  An early effort at HIP by DDR forces but like David Hill's rendition of the
Victoria Requiem, it offers a totally convincing account of the work at hand, so much so
it would lead one to believe that their interpretation totally embodies the music's 'spirit.'
In the case of Mauersburger Schutz, it sends shivers down my spine just to recall Schreier's
eloquent delivery of some of the composer's most fervently austere music....

I also tried Junghanel's Symphoniae sacre and Psalmen Davids and found both a bit cold (my
response!).  Hilliard Ensemble's recording of the Opus ultimum (Virgin), on the other hand,
turned out to be much superior than I expected. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on April 30, 2008, 09:59:47 PM
I don't understand what you meant by the word "contenders" -- the recordings you quoted
are of different works by the great Schutz....
"Candidates" then, FL, candidates - and referring to the recordings of course, not to the works. 8)

QuoteIMO the most recorded work by him must be the Musikalisches Exequien.  Do you have a
good recording of it already? 

My favourite remains that sung by the Dresdener Kreuzchor
conducted by Rudolf Mauersberger (Berlin Classics).  Peter Schreier was a superb Evangelist
and tenor soloist.  An early effort at HIP by DDR forces but like David Hill's rendition of the
Victoria Requiem, it offers a totally convincing account of the work at hand, so much so
it would lead one to believe that their interpretation totally embodies the music's 'spirit.'
In the case of Mauersburger Schutz, it sends shivers down my spine just to recall Schreier's
eloquent delivery of some of the composer's most fervently austere music....

No I'm a total Schütz virgin!  ;D I remember Val mentioning the Mauersberger as well, but I assumed those recordings to be a bit outdated. But on account of your comments I'll investigate - though a rather complicating factor will be that I do not like Peter Schreier. ::)

QuoteI also tried Junghanel's Symphoniae sacre and Psalmen Davids and found both a bit cold (my
response!).  Hilliard Ensemble's recording of the Opus ultimum (Virgin), on the other hand,
turned out to be much superior than I expected. 

Junghänel a bit cold, not entirely surprising.
Thanks for all your comments. :)

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 30, 2008, 10:35:31 PM

though a rather complicating factor will be that I do not like Peter Schreier. ::)

Schreier's nasal tone is rather under control in this recording if that is what you found
objectionable in his usual way of singing.

Yes I think Junghanel's take on Schutz is too reserved, even though Schutz is in general
a VERY introvert composer whose style became more and more austere until he was
writing a cappella works at the end of his career... :o

The new erato

This is my favorite recording of anything by Schutz:

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 30, 2008, 10:32:02 AM
Could I have some of your Heinrich Schütz favourites - works & recordings - please? :)

A composer who inexplicably escaped my attention till now!  :o

Any comments on these?

And what about the Weser-Renaissance under Cordes?

Just some random observations - please enlighten me! :)

Q

Well Que, I can vouch for the CPO recordings, and the one from Accent. I have them, and think WR a fine group of singers.
I have certainly a lot of vocal music from Schutz, to much to post here all, but I would also stress the Brilliant releases as being on top of my list.
I hope you find enough pleaure in them. :)

Que

Quote from: erato on May 01, 2008, 03:22:34 AM

Ah, can't miss - almost anything by Bernius is bound to be exceptional!
But of course, it being on Sony Vivarte it will be 100% OOP and difficult to find.. :-\ But I've got around that before - so off goes the hunt, and thanks for the rec. :)

Quote from: Harry on May 01, 2008, 03:47:51 AM
Well Que, I can vouch for the CPO recordings, and the one from Accent. I have them, and think WR a fine group of singers.
I have certainly a lot of vocal music from Schutz, to much to post here all, but I would also stress the Brilliant releases as being on top of my list.
I hope you find enough pleasure in them. :)

Thanks, Harry. :)

Q

Que

Quote from: erato on May 01, 2008, 03:22:34 AM

Quote from: Que on May 01, 2008, 11:39:36 AM
Ah, can't miss - almost anything by Bernius is bound to be exceptional!
But of course, it being on Sony Vivarte it will be 100% OOP and difficult to find.. :-\ But I've got around that before - so off goes the hunt, and thanks for the rec. :)

And guess what!  :o
The German branch of Sony/BMG have reissued it in their budget "Esprit" series! :)

Q

The new erato

What wonderful news (ugly cover though).

Do you know if the rest of the Vivarte series will surface here, and if the reissus will be available outside Germany?

Que

Quote from: erato on May 02, 2008, 12:16:10 AM
What wonderful news (ugly cover though).

Do you know if the rest of the Vivarte series will surface here, and if the reissus will be available outside Germany?

Covers of the series are gastly...
Went through the whole series, and I guess this (very recent) issue is the only - and hopefully first - from the Vivarte series. Never saw these issues other than on jpc or in Germany.

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Que on May 02, 2008, 01:16:49 AM
Went through the whole series, and I guess this (very recent) issue is the only - and hopefully first - from the Vivarte series. Never saw these issues other than on jpc or in Germany.

Q
When they have reissued the complete Vivarte series, I have a giant order for jpc.de awaiting. I'd better have my sunglasses ready when I open the package though.

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on May 02, 2008, 01:16:49 AM

Q

Of course one never gets the full text notes (often written by known musicologists in addition to performers themselves) with reissues.  If one can find the original versions at ebay, amazon shops, garage sales, used
CD stores or wherever  ;),  I'd think it advisable to get them there.

bassio

Now a word is needed on his instrumental music .. which I failed to find on record on the internet.  :)

The new erato

Quote from: bassio on May 02, 2008, 11:47:10 AM
Now a word is needed on his instrumental music .. which I failed to find on record on the internet.  :)
Schutz? In that case you'll have a long wait ahead of you.