German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: erato on May 02, 2008, 01:07:57 PM
Schutz? In that case you'll have a long wait ahead of you.

Schutz wrote no instrumental music in our sense of the term.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

The new erato

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 02, 2008, 09:24:13 PM
Schutz wrote no instrumental music in our sense of the term.
Which is why he'll have to wait a long time...Come on!

FideLeo

Quote from: erato on May 03, 2008, 01:32:13 AM
Which is why he'll have to wait a long time...Come on!

The wait you suggested is like waiting for Godot or for the Second Coming... I prefer to tell the plain truth.  :)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

The new erato

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 03, 2008, 01:37:48 AM
The wait you suggested is like waiting for Godot or for the Second Coming... I prefer to tell the plain truth.  :)
I would prefer him to sit waiting for Schutz rather than hang around on street corners and get himself into trouble.

FideLeo

Quote from: erato on May 03, 2008, 01:39:46 AM
I would prefer him to sit waiting for Schutz rather than hang around on street corners and get himself into trouble.

Or he could listen to Scheidt, who wrote plenty of instrumental? 

Harry

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 03, 2008, 01:48:50 AM
Or he could listen to Scheidt, who wrote plenty of instrumental? 

That is a fine disc by the way, remember that well.

bassio

;D

Apologies, I meant to refer to Stolzel. Nice to find out there is Schutz too.

Oh and a Schietz too  :D

What is it with the Germans and the 'S'?  ;D

Thanks for the recommendations.

The new erato

Quote from: bassio on May 04, 2008, 10:02:53 AM
;D

Apologies, I meant to refer to Stolzel. Nice to find out there is Schutz too.

Oh and a Schietz too  :D

What is it with the Germans and the 'S'?  ;D

Thanks for the recommendations.
And Scheidemann, Schein and Scheidt as well.....

Harry

These ones you mean that I just bought?

Que

Quote from: Harry on May 04, 2008, 11:17:25 PM
These ones you mean that I just bought?

Nice Harry! :) How are those?

And now we are on the subject - did you by any chance already got this issue with cantatas by Erlebach with Ludger Rémy as conductor? Erlebach is a composer who interests me on account of the issue on Alpha I got a while ago. This issue received a very positive review (in German) HERE.

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on May 04, 2008, 11:30:04 PM
Nice Harry! :) How are those?

And now we are on the subject - did you by any chance already got this issue with cantatas by Erlebach with Ludger Rémy as conductor? Erlebach is a composer who interests me on account of the issue on Alpha I got a while ago. This issue received a very positive review (in German) HERE.

Q

When I started with the this cd, I was so overpowered by the beauty of his compositions, and the genial writing for voices, that I afterwards ordered the Cantatas. I think they are well recorded, and truly German in their conception, lucid, and straightforward with a honest outlook.
And I have the Erlebach, but have not listen to it yet!

rubio

I see in the last Gramophone magazine that Norrington appear to cherish the St Mattheus Passion of Schütz. What do you think of this work, and which are great recordings on the market (probably not so many...)? What about these two - Kurz/Chor der Staatsoper Stuttgart on BellaMusica or Flämig/Dresdner Kreuzchor on Berlin Classics?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Que

Another request:

Anyone familiar with this recording, that has been reissued? :)

Q

71 dB

Quote from: Que on August 03, 2008, 11:49:29 PM
Another request:

Q

I have the original release of this. Essential!  0:)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Another request:

Q

IMO this is really a essential recording Que.

71 dB

Recently I bought my first Heinichen CD, this one:

I have to say Johann David Heinichen (1683-1729) is very interesting composer and his music seems to be of high quality. I enjoy this CD very much and I will definitely collect more Heinichen.

:)

Bunny

Another request:

Q

I'm not familiar with that cd, but I have Junghänel's recording of the Membra Jesu Nostri which is staggeringly beautiful!  I'll bet the Geistliche Cantaten is a winner too.

Bunny

Quote from: 71 dB on November 07, 2008, 09:52:37 AM
Recently I bought my first Heinichen CD, this one:

I have to say Johann David Heinichen (1683-1729) is very interesting composer and his music seems to be of high quality. I enjoy this CD very much and I will definitely collect more Heinichen.

:)

If those interest you, then you should consider the Musica Antiqua Köln and Reinhard Goebel's recording of the Dresden Concerti.  I understand that's been re-issued by DG, so that copies will be reasonably priced.

Josquin des Prez

The cantatas of Buxtehude are truly special. Now if only somebody else besides Tom Koopman would decide to record them. Fat chance i guess.

71 dB

Quote from: Bunny on November 07, 2008, 12:00:15 PM
If those interest you, then you should consider the Musica Antiqua Köln and Reinhard Goebel's recording of the Dresden Concerti.  I understand that's been re-issued by DG, so that copies will be reasonably priced.

I have been considering that for a long time.  ;) It's all about priorities. Heinichen isn't the only composer I want to explore. There is another cpo disc I'm interested about too. I don't have anything from Zelenka yet so perhaps I should correct that first? I haven't even heard Zelenka's music but I have read so much good about it I am really interested.

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on November 07, 2008, 03:20:29 PM
The cantatas of Buxtehude are truly special.

Yep, you got it right.  ;)

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on November 07, 2008, 03:20:29 PMNow if only somebody else besides Tom Koopman would decide to record them. Fat chance i guess.

Buxtehude's cantatas are sadly underrecorded. Complete set of Bruhns' cantatas would be nice too as the Ricercar release is OOP with big "O".  :P