German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Harry on April 01, 2009, 01:03:36 AM
That is mightily interesting Que.
What do you think of this recording?

Hight time to bump this thread again, and thanks to Harry for reminding me! :)
Just a reminder: Bohemian composers are included in this thread - earlier posts on Jan Dismas Zelenka are to be found HERE, HERE , HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.

This is a wonderful performance of the Missa votiva ZWV 18 (The only work on the disc since it is over an hour long), by the Czech ensemble Collegium Vocale 1704 which previously recorded for Supraphon.
Luxurious is the best way to describe it. The very natural recording, the subtlety and richness of the playing and the singing in a monumental work with an abundance of diversity. Warmly recommended! :)

Samples and reviews at Amazon

Q

Coopmv

Here's a Telemann's CD I have enjoyed very much for years ...

Coopmv

Here is another lovely piece, superbly performed by the Cologne Chamber Orchestra ...

Coopmv

Pachelbel ...  I like his organ works.  Unfortunately, the CD's are not easy to collect.  I have a few volumes under the Centaur label and it is almost impossible to find certain volumes.  Here is a new CD that arrived from MDT a few weeks ago I have yet to listen to ...

Frumaster

This one was a recent eye-opener for non-J.S. Bach Baroque.  Sounds excellent.

Coopmv

Spitz

What about Johann Heinrich Schmeltzer, especially his HIP violin sonatas by Romanesca. With a name lilke Schmeltzer, you know it has to be good!

Coopmv

Johann Ludwig Krebs, student of JS Bach.  I have this pretty nice CD.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on April 03, 2009, 08:52:14 PM
Pachelbel ...  I like his organ works.  Unfortunately, the CD's are not easy to collect.  I have a few volumes under the Centaur label and it is almost impossible to find certain volumes. 

Easier than you might think.  All 11 volumes can be had directly from the Centaur website. 

The Dorian label also released the complete organ works, and those discs are also ready for purchase.  For my money, I favor Payne over Bouchard.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on April 23, 2009, 06:20:20 PM
Easier than you might think.  All 11 volumes can be had directly from the Centaur website. 

The Dorian label also released the complete organ works, and those discs are also ready for purchase.  For my money, I favor Payne over Bouchard.

I stopped trying a few years ago.  I have never bought direct from any record companies.  I think this is a more recent development that record companies start to sell directly to retail customers.  I have been getting promo offers from Universal for the past two years ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on April 23, 2009, 06:39:18 PM
I stopped trying a few years ago.  I have never bought direct from any record companies.  I think this is a more recent development that record companies start to sell directly to retail customers. 

In my experiences, record companies are the most reliable sources for successful transactions performed quickly.  Also, many of them have been selling directly to customers for quite a few years.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on April 24, 2009, 08:07:01 AM
In my experiences, record companies are the most reliable sources for successful transactions performed quickly.  Also, many of them have been selling directly to customers for quite a few years.

But it was not always this way since record companies did not want to compete with their retailers, just as people do not buy their cars directly from the automakers.

Coopmv

Coopmv

Johann Jakob Froberger.  I have the following CD ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on April 24, 2009, 05:39:27 PM
But it was not always this way since record companies did not want to compete with their retailers, just as people do not buy their cars directly from the automakers.

Forget the past - the Internet has changed the relationships.

71 dB

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 25, 2009, 10:22:18 PM
These are three of the best Baroque recordings on Naxos.  :)

Even at full price would be a great value:

Buxtehude - Fasolis:
http://www.amazon.com/Buxtehude-Membra-Jesu-Nostri/dp/B000QQUORM/ref=pd_ybh_2?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R3MQQW97T1M2QBC5GH5

Schenck - Les Voix Humaines:
http://www.amazon.com/Schenck-Nymphs-Sonatas-Violas-Humaines/dp/B000053W48/ref=pd_ybh_3?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R3MQQW97T1M2QBC5GH5

Yes, The Buxtehude disc is extremely good. Everyone should own it. I have the Schenck vol. 2 which I find good. Naxos has not released too much (lesser known) German Baroque but I enjoy their Fasch recording (Passio Jesu Christi/Térey-Smith)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

FideLeo

Plenty of Telemann on flutes, oboes, bassoons and recorders. Plus Quantz, Vivaldi, Graun concertos with woodwinds.  All tastefully prepared and performed by researching (Ricercar) musicians.  ;)   A banquet!  :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Coopmv

Quote from: traverso on April 26, 2009, 05:39:25 AM

Plenty of Telemann on flutes, oboes, bassoons and recorders. Plus Quantz, Vivaldi, Graun concertos with woodwinds.  All tastefully prepared and performed by researching (Ricercar) musicians.  ;)   A banquet!  :D

Over the years, I found Telemann's works somewhat bland compared with those by his contemporaries Bach and Handel.  Perhaps that explains why Telemann is not as popular today.  He surely was more popular than Bach during his lifetime from what I have read, if that is judged by financial well-being.  Among the major composers, Handel was the most financially well off at his death.

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on April 26, 2009, 05:50:50 AM
Over the years, I found Telemann's works somewhat bland compared with those by his contemporaries Bach and Handel.  Perhaps that explains why Telemann is not as popular today.  He surely was more popular than Bach during his lifetime from what I have read, if that is judged by financial well-being.  Among the major composers, Handel was the most financially well off at his death.

From the point of view of a flute player, though, I've found Telemann to be the stylistically more fluent composer (than Bach) - he definitely played the instrument himself or knew its playing styles very intimately.  Telemann's popularity in his own time may not have been all that hype.  Telemann died in the position of music director of the five largest churches in Hamburg.  In the German system of musical professions, it was hard to go higher than that.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!