German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: erato on January 01, 2010, 02:20:00 AM
I guess that just shows how different we are. Me, I would rather have a Graupner disc than the umpteenth version of at Bach work I love and which is already thoroughly well represented on my shelf. No offense meant!

None taken, and I already have two Graupner discs.  But I feel no interest in a third.

premont

Quote from: Que on October 04, 2009, 02:03:20 AM

A generous amount of samples HERE.

I have listened to these samples twice. Most beautiful instrument and Soly´s playing certainly engaged and stylish. But even if the music has got a certain inventiveness, I do not find it substantial enough for more than a few listenings. If I had got the time for this now, I would acquire the scores and play the music myself, but this will have to wait until my retirement.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

71 dB

FINALLY!
Ricercar is re-releasing their OOP set of cantatas by Bruhns 
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on February 28, 2010, 01:24:50 AM
FINALLY!
Ricercar is re-releasing their OOP set of cantatas by Bruhns
Yes, but don't buy it at 189 Euros. £ 11.75 at mdt. I hope the rest of the 10 disc set of German Baroque cantatas follows.

71 dB

Quote from: erato on February 28, 2010, 01:32:52 AM
Yes, but don't buy it at 189 Euros.
Are you serious? Who asks 189 € for the re-release?

Quote from: erato on February 28, 2010, 01:32:52 AM£ 11.75 at mdt.
That's reasonable.

Quote from: erato on February 28, 2010, 01:32:52 AMI hope the rest of the 10 disc set of German Baroque cantatas follows.
Yes, there is no such thing as too much German Baroque cantatas.

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on February 28, 2010, 02:00:28 AM
Are you serious? Who asks 189 € for the re-release?

A misprint. The shop you linked to quoted it at 19 Euros. The price is at the top of the page you linked to.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on January 01, 2010, 07:48:18 AM
None taken, and I already have two Graupner discs.  But I feel no interest in a third.

Well, so as not to search completely through this long thread and to bring up to date recommendations on Graupner (of which I own nothing at the moment), what is worth considering for you fans of him?

I've looked at Amazon and there is quite a bit of varied offerings from orchestral works, harpsichord partitas, etc. - suggestions or recommendations for a couple of discs?  Thanks all -  :D

71 dB

Quote from: erato on February 28, 2010, 02:05:02 AM
A misprint. The shop you linked to quoted it at 19 Euros. The price is at the top of the page you linked to.
Okay. MDT seems to offer the best deal for this product.

Quote from: SonicMan on February 28, 2010, 06:12:29 AM
Well, so as not to search completely through this long thread and to bring up to date recommendations on Graupner (of which I own nothing at the moment), what is worth considering for you fans of him?

I've looked at Amazon and there is quite a bit of varied offerings from orchestral works, harpsichord partitas, etc. - suggestions or recommendations for a couple of discs?  Thanks all -  :D
This is nice.

SonicMan46

Johann Friedrich Fasch (1688-1758) - a somewhat forgotten contemporary of JS Bach & Telemann; there are about 300 extant works, but much was lost in Dresden during WWII, perhaps twice that number!  The statement is made in the liner notes of the disc pictured below that 'Fasch ranked second after only Telemann among German composers of instrumental music represented in the huge holdings of the Dresden court chapel archive.'

I just acquire my fifth disc of the music of Fasch - Orchestral Works performed by a period instrument group Tempesta di Mare (Philadelphia Baroque Orchestra), which is new to me.  These are just wonderful performances using a variety of Baroque instruments (many w/ pics in the liner notes).  My other discs include Oboe Sonatas, other Overtures & Sinfonias, and Trios & Sonatas:D

A short Wiki Bio HERE which includes a listing of his numerous works - much sacred music (including numerous cantatas, and plenty probably lost forever!), overtures, sinfonias, concertos, and chamber works.  Fasch was indeed a major musical personality and composer in his time - hopefully a renewed interest in his compositions will emerged since the present recording dates to the 250th anniversary of his death -  :)

Que

Quote from: premont on January 01, 2010, 08:05:58 AM
I have listened to these samples twice. Most beautiful instrument and Soly´s playing certainly engaged and stylish. But even if the music has got a certain inventiveness, I do not find it substantial enough for more than a few listenings. If I had got the time for this now, I would acquire the scores and play the music myself, but this will have to wait until my retirement.

After getting a second Graupner disc and several listenings, it's definite: I'm declaring my undying love for this music! ;D More seriously: I find the music attractive enough to go for the complete series. I like the brightness, gaiety and charm. Maybe the galant Rococo style is overly sophisticated for some tastes (and perceived as superficial ) but I've found no lack of inventiveness, it is rather virtuosic and it can be quite gutsy as well. Graupner, a contemporary of Bach, was clearly orientated on the French harpsichord tradition like Froberger.
Geneviève Soly employs a free, expressive style that shows this music at his best. She plays again the harpsichord made by Hubbard & Broekman after Hass: suitable big, bright and transparent sound, beautiful lute stop! :)

Anyway, à chacun son goût, but Graupner is mine. 8) The fact that the Hurwitzer likes Soly's Graupner is slightly unsettling... :o But luckily I'm also in the good company of Scott Morrison who wrote some nice reviews on Amazon.com! :)

Q

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan on March 03, 2010, 09:53:13 AMI just acquire my fifth disc of the music of Fasch
I have 8 discs of Fasch!  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: 71 dB on March 27, 2010, 01:36:26 AM
I have 8 discs of Fasch!  ;D

Is there a big box for Fasch works out there?

71 dB

Quote from: Coopmv on March 27, 2010, 05:10:17 AM
Is there a big box for Fasch works out there?
No as far as I know. These unjustly neglected composers don't have those. My Fasch "collection" is build of individual discs:

1 x Naxos
1 x Berlin Classics
1 x Harmonia Mundi
1 x Archiv Produktion
1 x MDG
3 x CPO

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on March 27, 2010, 05:33:11 AM
No as far as I know. These unjustly neglected composers don't have those. My Fasch "collection" is build of individual discs:

1 x Naxos
1 x Berlin Classics
1 x Harmonia Mundi
1 x Archiv Produktion
1 x MDG
3 x CPO
Then you really need this:

One of my favorite discs of baroque orchestral music.

Coopmv

Quote from: 71 dB on March 27, 2010, 05:33:11 AM

1 x Naxos
1 x Berlin Classics
1 x Harmonia Mundi
1 x Archiv Produktion
1 x MDG
3 x CPO

I have 2 single CD's on CPO ...

listener

GRAUPNER Concertos for chalumeau  (single-reed ancestor of the clarinet) are worth hearing and the Pierre Verany disc uses three: soprano, tenor and bass
FASCH collection on Capriccio also has a chalumeau concerto* in addition to a variety of other forms including a Missa Brevis, Cantata, trumpet concerto, and concerto grosso/suites.

*played on the clarinet here.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

71 dB

Quote from: erato on March 27, 2010, 06:15:26 AM
Then you really need this:

One of my favorite discs of baroque orchestral music.

Thanks for the recommendation! I wonder when I will have money to buy more Fasch.  :D

Quote from: listener on March 27, 2010, 12:22:46 PM
GRAUPNER Concertos for chalumeau  (single-reed ancestor of the clarinet) are worth hearing and the Pierre Verany disc uses three: soprano, tenor and bass
FASCH collection on Capriccio also has a chalumeau concerto* in addition to a variety of other forms including a Missa Brevis, Cantata, trumpet concerto, and concerto grosso/suites.

The sound of chalumeau seems to work superbly with this kind of late baroque/galant music. I especially like Fasch's Concerto in B flat major FWV L:B1 that I have on two CDs, (The English Concert/Trevor Pinnock/Archiv Produktion and Accademia Daniel/Shalev Ad-El/CPO). Pinnock is my favorite of these two.

Bulldog

I hadn't thought of it before, but the Naxos Music Library has all the Graupner/Analekta recordings as well as the new one on Naxos.  I suppose I could say I'm well stocked for Graupner although it isn't a big deal.  When I recently noticed that Roger Woodward's WTC was on NML - that was a very big deal.  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on March 28, 2010, 04:14:43 PM
I hadn't thought of it before, but the Naxos Music Library has all the Graupner/Analekta recordings as well as the new one on Naxos.  I suppose I could say I'm well stocked for Graupner although it isn't a big deal.  When I recently noticed that Roger Woodward's WTC was on NML - that was a very big deal.  8)

Hello Don - I've ordered the Woodward WTC from MDT for about $40, but because of this thread I've been looking at the Graupner offerings w/ Soly on the label mentioned above; she seems to be 'specializing' in this composer and has recorded 'mucho' volumes - probably NOT a 'box offering' in the near future?

But, my question is about the Naxos Musical Library - I've not joined - can you briefly enlighten us as to cost and options, i.e. is this just streaming audio or can CDs/tracks be downloaded, and if so in what formats?  Any information would be appreciated - thanks.  Dave  :)