German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Que on January 30, 2011, 12:31:51 AM
Hope you didn't miss Manze's recording of Biber's 1681 Salzburg sonatas?

I did :-[
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Antoine Marchand

Stylus Phantasticus!  I find your description of it as a "cosmic style" very well put BTW.  :)

Me too. I would add this music has an evident esoteric character and a sort of inscrutability.

BTW, ECM released some years ago three "fantastic" discs, not usually mentioned:

Those discs are some of the best recordings of the stylus fantasticus that I have listened to. John Holloway, Aloysia Assenbaum and Lars Ulrik Mortensen are unbeatable in this music. Unfortunately the experience will be irrepetible because of the early death of Holloway's wife Aloysia Assenbaum.

After Assenbaum's death, Holloway and Mortensen joined to Jaap ter Linden and recorded this also excellent disc:

Samples here:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search?fastsearch=ecm%20holloway&pd_orderby=score

:)

Opus106

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 30, 2011, 04:29:43 AM
Those discs are some of the best recordings of the stylus fantasticus that I have listened to. John Holloway, Aloysia Assenbaum and Lars Ulrik Mortensen are unbeatable in this music. Unfortunately the experience will be irrepetible because of the early death of Holloway's wife Aloysia Assenbaum.

After Assenbaum's death, Holloway and Mortensen joined to Jaap ter Linden and recorded this also excellent disc:

Having been introduced to Veracini through Biondi, I found the Holloway samples lacking energy (in the first sonata), but perhaps he is the Yin to Biondi's Yang (or whatever is your preferred dichotomy). I have the complete Op. 1 on Brilliant, and similarly Biondi had coloured my views of the first sonata. I think ought to give those discs a spin, not having done that in quite a while. Like you said in the listening thread, one post leads to another and we end up listening to stuff. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on January 30, 2011, 05:35:47 AM
Having been introduced to Veracini through Biondi, I found the Holloway samples lacking energy (in the first sonata), but perhaps he is the Yin to Biondi's Yang (or whatever is your preferred dichotomy). I have the complete Op. 1 on Brilliant, and similarly Biondi had coloured my views of the first sonata. I think ought to give those discs a spin, not having done that in quite a while. Like you said in the listening thread, one post leads to another and we end up listening to stuff. :)

I agree with you, Opus. Holloways's style is rather more introspective and reflective than Biondi's, but it is also highly recommendable (although slightly less than his other three discs on ECM pointed out by me). I also have that Biondi (Italian Violin Sonatas, Virgin Classics) and, IMO, it's a disc completely successful, to listen to many times; the same for Casazza on Brilliant (I think licensed from Tactus).

A beautiful complementary disc (more Holloway than Biondi anyway) is this one, with the beloved Elizabeth Wallfisch:

These Sonatae Accademiche are Veracini's Opus 2.  :)

SonicMan46

Stylus Phantasticus!  I find your description of it as a "cosmic style" very well put BTW.  :)

Hope you didn't miss Manze's recording of Biber's 1681 Salzburg sonatas? And beyond that there is Steck's recording of additional sonatas ascribed/attributed to Biber. (see post HERE)

And than many moons ago erato introduced the Westhoff here, and with it came the recommendation of Johann Jakob Walther:

Biber's instrumental violin works are often confusing because of the names attached; e.g. I just received a small order from BRO which included the disc added above (bottom right), i.e. Fidicinium Sacro Profanum w/ Plantier & Les plaisirs du Parnasse; now I probably own about a dozen Biber discs, including the Manze sonatas among others - but, the Wiki Site HERE has a selected listing of his compositions which may be useful to those just acquiring his works.

The ones that I now own, many w/ the funky names, are:

Harmonia artificioso-ariosa: diversi mode accordata - 7 Partitas (C. 62-68) (Musica Antiqua Koln)

Fidicinium sacroprofanum - 12 Sonatas (C. 78-89) - 'new' disc w/ Plantier

Rosary Sonatas - 15 Sonatas + 1 Passacaglia (C. 90-105) (Lautenbacher)

Sonatae tam aris quam aulis servientes - 12 Sonatas (C. 114-126) (Goodman & Parley of Instruments)

Sonatae violino solo - 8 Sonatas 1681 (C. 138-145) (Manze & Romanesca)

Also own the John Holloway disc Unam Ceylum - need help on that one?  Six works are included, 2 are 'unpublished', and 4 are listed to be from 1681, so not sure how those may relate to the Manze recordings?   :D

Opus106

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 30, 2011, 06:08:41 AM
I also have that Biondi (Italian Violin Sonatas, Virgin Classics) and, IMO, it's a disc completely successful, to listen to many times; the same for Casazza on Brilliant (I think licensed from Tactus).

I also like the fact that Biondi often includes the lute and the therobo which, to me, makes the sounds much more attractive.

A beautiful complementary disc (more Holloway than Biondi anyway) is this one, with the beloved Elizabeth Wallfisch:

These Sonata Accademiche are Veracini's Opus 2.  :)

Thanks; and before we get rapped on the knuckles for travelling to Mediterranean coast ;D, let me add that I need to get some Biber.
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Hope you didn't miss Manze's recording of Biber's 1681 Salzburg sonatas? And beyond that there is Steck's recording of additional sonatas ascribed/attributed to Biber. (see post HERE)

And than many moons ago erato introduced the Westhoff here, and with it came the recommendation of Johann Jakob Walther:

Q

Q,  I need to put that Johann Jakob Walther CD on my shopping list but have owned the other 2 CD's for quite some time.  Those homeland security idiots are holding up many trans-Atlantic packages and I am waiting for 6 CD shipments to arrive, some was ordered a week before Christmas ...    >:(

Coopmv

Quote from: Opus106 on January 30, 2011, 05:35:47 AM

But Veracini was Italian?  No? 

Opus106

Dave, for reasons unknown, I'm never able to view a lot of images (I'm not sure if its the case with all the images) you post. In your latest post, I only see the three posted by Que. :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: Coopmv on January 30, 2011, 06:21:25 AM
But Veracini was Italian?  No? 

He was. Check my previous post. I noticed my location and am already travelling up north. :D
Regards,
Navneeth

SonicMan46

Quote from: Opus106 on January 30, 2011, 06:23:58 AM
Dave, for reasons unknown, I'm never able to view a lot of images (I'm not sure if its the case with all the images) you post. In your latest post, I only see the three posted by Que. :-\

Hello Navneeth - that's curious?  I often just add an image into a previous quote, mainly to save a little space and shorten the length of the post - all 4 images are showing up for me (and I've never had an issue w/ this way of posting but would be interested if others have the same problem?) - below is the added image:

Opus106

Quote from: SonicMan on January 30, 2011, 06:50:02 AM
Hello Navneeth - that's curious?  I often just add an image into a previous quote, mainly to save a little space and shorten the length of the post - all 4 images are showing up for me (and I've never had an issue w/ this way of posting but would be interested if others have the same problem?) - below is the added image:

I've been noticing this only during the past week or so. Even in quote above, I cannot see it. However, I can see it by accessing it directly.
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Quote from: SonicMan on January 30, 2011, 06:18:51 AM

The ones that I now own, many w/ the funky names, are:

Harmonia artificioso-ariosa: diversi mode accordata - 7 Partitas (C. 62-68)

Sonatae tam aris quam aulis servientes - 12 Sonatas (C. 114-126)

I hope this recording by the Rare Fruits Council will become available again, because I would consider it mandatory:

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on January 30, 2011, 06:57:49 AM
I hope this recording by the Rare Fruits Council will become available again, because I would consider it mandatory:

With or without the weird sofas?  :)

Que

I tried this disc again, but it really is hopeless... And I had such high hopes. Those early recordings by the Collegium Aureum are generally much to my liking. And I have no quarrel with some inperfections or boys choirs.  But the performance here is really atrocious: serious intonations problems with the boys choir, choirs and orchestra out of sink - it is one gigantic mess.... :P

Any alternative recommendations for the Missa Salisburgensis? :)

[asin]B000B7G0TC[/asin]

Sofar, I have my eye on this one! :)

[asin]B0019IBI5I[/asin]

Q

Antoine Marchand

I have this recording:

I think I have not listened to this disc (SACD version) in three years or something so. Anyway, I recall my conclusion: the problem is not the messenger, but the message itself. I think Biber is not at his best here. 

The new erato

This is the one to get I guess (I have it but haven't heard other versions):

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: erato on February 12, 2011, 04:42:12 AM
This is the one to get I guess (I have it but haven't heard other versions):

Unfortunately, the sound engineering is atrocious.

FideLeo

Engineering not atrocious; double keyboard continuo very nice.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/v/NvRKfiksKTI

[asin]B0000XK7LE[/asin]

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: masolino on February 12, 2011, 05:26:52 AM
Engineering not atrocious; double keyboard continuo very nice.  ;)
[asin]B0000XK7LE[/asin]

It's an excellent disc, indeed. That fat continuo works out very well.