German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on September 26, 2011, 09:42:51 AM
I knew one of you (the triptych premont-Antonie Marchand aka toniño-PaulCS 8)) would know this disc!  ;D

Reading up on Scheideman, I realized that his organ works would be the next step - any suggestions? :)

Q

Foccroulle seems a natural recommendation:

http://www.outhere-music.com/store-RIC_225

:)

Bulldog

I knew one of you (the triptych premont-Antonie Marchand aka toniño-PaulCS 8)) would know this disc!  ;D

Reading up on Scheideman, I realized that his organ works would be the next step - any suggestions? :)

Q

I've got a great disc for you.  It's Volume 2 of the Naxos/Scheidemann organ series played by Karin Nelson.  It's one of the very few discs I'd pay $100 for.

[asin]B00000J8DD[/asin]

Que

Thank you both, Antoine and Don! :)

It seems that Naxos is going to do a complete Scheidemann series, an exciting prospect. I already read positive reviews. But what about the organs? I'm a stickler on the use of historically & stylistically "correct" organs - do I need to worry? :)

Q

Bulldog

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on September 26, 2011, 09:46:09 PM

It seems that Naxos is going to do a complete Scheidemann series, an exciting prospect. I already read positive reviews. But what about the organs? I'm a stickler on the use of historically & stylistically "correct" organs - do I need to worry? :)

Q

Naxos has done five volumes; the most recent was a few years ago.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of the other volumes which are played by Peter van Dijk (vol. 1) and Julia Brown (vols. 3-5).

Nelson plays the Brombaugh Organ at the Haga Church, Gothenburg (built 1992 and patterned after early 17th century models of Northern Germany).  Sounds great to me, but I'm not a stickler on this matter.

Que

Quote from: Bulldog on September 26, 2011, 10:19:58 PM
Naxos has done five volumes; the most recent was a few years ago.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of the other volumes which are played by Peter van Dijk (vol. 1) and Julia Brown (vols. 3-5).

Nelson plays the Brombaugh Organ at the Haga Church, Gothenburg (built 1992 and patterned after early 17th century models of Northern Germany).  Sounds great to me, but I'm not a stickler on this matter.

I do not mind a modern (but true) reconstruction, I'll defintely check it out - thanks. :)

Kind of a downer to hear that the other volumes aren't quite up to snuff.  :-\

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on September 26, 2011, 09:46:09 PM

Q

Bernard Foccroulle plays the famous 1624 Scherer organ of St. Stephan Church, Tangermünde, Germany.

This organ is one of the ten most important valuable historical organs of Europe. It is the only surviving example of the Hamburg organbuilding tradition of the first half of the 17th century, and it is also the only remaining large organ built in Germany around 1600.

It was built in 1623-4 by one of the most important organbuilder of its time, Hans Scherer, the young, from Hamburg. It had 32 stops over 3 manuals and pedal. After 1700, there were different repair attempts by church organists and organ builders Johann Georg Helbig and Elias Wernitz. Between 1712 and 1716, changes were carried out by Johann Michael Röder, from Berlin.

In 1790, the wind system and the tracking system have been rebuilt for the Hauptwerk and Oberwerk divisions by Johann Gottfried Zabel, from Tangermünde.

From 1856 to 1858, important changes were carried out by Friedrich Hermann Lütkemüller, from Wittstock: addition of many new stops, new wind system and tracking system for the Rückpositiv and pedal divisions.

Around 1930, several minor changes were carried out in order to bring the organ uup to the taste of the day. In 1933, several experts and organists stressed the unusual value of the instrument and called for the rebuilding of the instrument in its original condition.

From 1983, the instrument becomes more and more difficult to play. A stabilization of the organ console is carried out in 1988. From 1990 to 1992, the organcase is restored and, from 1991 to 1994, the instrument is restored and rebuilt according to 1624 specifications by organbuilder Alexander Schuke, from Postdam.

The organ was reinaugurated on September 24, 1999.

http://www.musicme.com/#/Bernard-Foccroulle/albums/Scheidemann:-Orgelwerke-5400439002258.html

PaulSC

Q
My role in all of this is just to update my wish list; I'll definitely seek out the Dirksen and perhaps one or more of the organ discs subsequently mentioned!  :)
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Bulldog

Quote from: PaulSC on September 27, 2011, 06:02:30 AM
My role in all of this is just to update my wish list; I'll definitely seek out the Dirksen and perhaps one or more of the organ discs subsequently mentioned!  :)

In case this is helpful - the Dirksen, the Naxos series and the Ricercar organ disc are all on Naxos Music Library.

PaulSC

Quote from: Bulldog on September 27, 2011, 08:11:57 AM
In case this is helpful - the Dirksen, the Naxos series and the Ricercar organ disc are all on Naxos Music Library.
Helpful indeed, Bulldog. I have free access to NML at work.
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 27, 2011, 01:17:05 AM
Bernard Foccroulle plays the famous 1624 Scherer organ of St. Stephan Church, Tangermünde, Germany.

The credentials of the Scherer organ in Tangermünde are beyond reproach - it's a bloody marvelous organ! :)

Q

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Antoine Marchand

One of my favorites among the last purchases. I have heard this disc at least six or seven times which is quite a lot these days of musical hyperinflation. Beautiful, really beautiful.

First, the composer; the "Beatus Vir?" of the title. Full of imagination and author of some idiosyncratic (but always musical) solutions.

Then the impeccable and passionate ensemble.

Finally, the singers and specially Raquel Andueza, plethoric of devotion and warmth.

In short, a must-have. 

Que

Quote from: Bogey on October 02, 2011, 07:37:05 PM
To end the weekend:

I have that one as well, Bill! :) It's a beauty - interesting and off the beaten track.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 03, 2011, 06:51:06 AM

One of my favorites among the last purchases. I have heard this disc at least six or seven times which is quite a lot these days of musical hyperinflation. Beautiful, really beautiful.

[..]

In short, a must-have.

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear! :D

I had my eye on that as well - I presume it is a mix of choral and intrumental (violin) pieces?

Q

chasmaniac

Lovely:

[asin]B000E97X98[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on October 03, 2011, 09:51:59 PM
I have that one as well, Bill! :) It's a beauty - interesting and off the beaten track.

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear! :D

I had my eye on that as well - I presume it is a mix of choral and intrumental (violin) pieces?

Q

Sorry, Q. I didn't see this post before.

Yes, it is a mix of vocal music (motets for solo voice - soprano and bass - and one duet) and instrumental music for small ensemble.

In between I purchased this Ramée disc:

which is done essentially on the same mix, although it only presents vocal music for alto (the countertenor Alex Potter). These discs don't have overlaps, so both of them are excellent choices, although I still prefer the Zig-Zag recording which is warmer in these ears, specially due to Raquel Andueza and Amandine Beyer. That said, the instrumental part of the ensemble Chellycus is a bit more varied because includes some beautiful period trombones (alto, tenor & bass). A hard decision, isn't it?  :)

The new erato

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 15, 2011, 07:45:13 AM
A hard decision, isn't it?  :)

As has been noted by others, this forum isn't about choosing!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: The new erato on October 15, 2011, 08:00:43 AM
As has been noted by others, this forum isn't about choosing!

Yes! We are a modern version of partying friends! A very bad influence.  ;D

Leo K.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Thought I would post this here too, so far I am into CD 1, but what I hear is pretty awesome.

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on December 16, 2011, 05:56:18 AM
Thought I would post this here too, so far I am into CD 1, but what I hear is pretty awesome.

How many CDS are in there, Harry?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini