German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Florestan on December 16, 2011, 06:02:52 AM
How many CDS are in there, Harry?

4 of them for 13 euros. But its on authentic instrument mind, not a pianola..... ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on December 16, 2011, 06:18:16 AM
4 of them for 13 euros. But its on authentic instrument mind, not a pianola..... ;D

I was afraid of that...  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on December 16, 2011, 06:18:16 AM
4 of them for 13 euros.

I bought my first Buxtehude harpsichord cd (Mortensen on Dacapo) over 10 years ago and paid at least 20 euros for it. Many years later Naxos started to re-released these discs and I have one of those. I didn't have a clue there would be one of these "4 discs of 13" euros bargains someday... ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Well except for a handful of discs of Buxtehude's sacred works and trio sonatas, my main 'new' addition are the complete organ works performed by Vogel (BTW - an excellent performance & glad that I spent the extra money on this set!) - so might need to add this Brilliant box to my wishlist? :)

Mandryka

There are lots of Froeberger recordings by Gustav Leonhardt -- including a recent one with some Weckmann, one with some organ music and one on DHM. But the first record he made, has never made it to CD. It's my favourite by far -- partly because of the instrument, which sounds lovely. And partly because the programme is very appealing to me. And partly because  . .  well . . . I just prefer the earlier Leonhardt recordings to the later ones.

Anyway, since it has never been available on CD I don't suppose there can be a problem about publishing a link to it here. If so, then no doubt someone will e mail me and I'll delete the link.

Enjoy -- it's very fine!

http://takecare-maready.blogspot.com/2011/02/gustav-leonhardt-plays-froberger-1970.html

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mandryka on January 04, 2012, 09:04:11 AM
There are lots of Froeberger recordings by Gustav Leonhardt -- including a recent one with some Weckmann, one with some organ music and one on DHM. But the first record he made, has never made it to CD.

You sure about that? I think I've got that one, on CD. 1962 recording, right? This is what it looks like:

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

prémont

There are lots of Froeberger recordings by Gustav Leonhardt -- including a recent one with some Weckmann, one with some organ music and one on DHM. But the first record he made, has never made it to CD. It's my favourite by far -- partly because of the instrument, which sounds lovely. And partly because the programme is very appealing to me. And partly because  . .  well . . . I just prefer the earlier Leonhardt recordings to the later ones.

Anyway, since it has never been available on CD I don't suppose there can be a problem about publishing a link to it here. If so, then no doubt someone will e mail me and I'll delete the link.
This recording has been released on CD more times, I own two different incarnations as well as the original DHM LP, which I got a long time ago, and which was instrumental in awaking my interest for early baroque harpsichord music. I agree that the interpretation is outstanding, and listening to it I am always mesmerized by its great introvert concentration.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Velimir on January 04, 2012, 09:25:37 AM
You sure about that? I think I've got that one, on CD. 1962 recording, right? This is what it looks like:

Right, that one.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Oh well it's OOP I think. I thought that was the same as this

but I was obviously wrong.

I'll leave the link to the blog unless someone objects.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 16, 2011, 09:07:46 AM
Well except for a handful of discs of Buxtehude's sacred works and trio sonatas, my main 'new' addition are the complete organ works performed by Vogel (BTW - an excellent performance & glad that I spent the extra money on this set!) - so might need to add this Brilliant box to my wishlist? :)

Dave,  Buxtehude was supposed to be Danish ...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on January 04, 2012, 06:18:39 PM
Dave,  Buxtehude was supposed to be Danish ...

Hi Stuart - yes, Buxtehude was indeed born in the Denmark of his times but the geography certainly has changed in those 'neck of the woods' since his birth in 1637; his place of birth was Oldesloe, now known as 'Bad Oldesloe' which is described presently as being in northern Germany in this Wiki Article;) :D

I guess the more important issue is from the age of 23 y/o he was employed in Germany, primarily in Lubeck, so I guess that most would consider his style as being 'German Baroque', hence my inclusion here; plus, do we have a Danish Baroque Music thread?  Need to check - Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 05, 2012, 09:25:53 AM
Hi Stuart - yes, Buxtehude was indeed born in the Denmark of his times but the geography certainly has changed in those 'neck of the woods' since his birth in 1637; his place of birth was Oldesloe, now known as 'Bad Oldesloe' which is described presently as being in northern Germany in this Wiki Article;) :D

I guess the more important issue is from the age of 23 y/o he was employed in Germany, primarily in Lubeck, so I guess that most would consider his style as being 'German Baroque', hence my inclusion here; plus, do we have a Danish Baroque Music thread?  Need to check - Dave :)

We use the term "German" rather liberal here! :D See an ancient disscussion HERE.  Buxtehude was firmly part of the Northern German Baroque (organ) tradition.

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 05, 2012, 12:07:53 PM
We use the term "German" rather liberal here! :D See an ancient disscussion HERE.  Buxtehude was firmly part of the Northern German Baroque (organ) tradition.

Q

A number of my Buxtehude's recordings referred to him as the Danish early baroque composer in their booklets.  Perhaps that was the traditional thinking ...

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on January 07, 2012, 08:40:39 AM
A number of my Buxtehude's recordings referred to him as the Danish early baroque composer in their booklets.  Perhaps that was the traditional thinking ...

Absolutely, he was Danish and Denmark, unlike presentday Germany, already existed - a very old country in fact! But stylistically Baroque composers shared a common style from Denmark to Bohemia. (One of) the founder(s) of the "North German" Organ School was the Dutchman Sweelinck! :)

Apart from that Buxtehude studied with Scheidemann (who was a pupil of Sweelinck) in Hamburg, and worked and lived for the larger part of his life in Lübeck, where he also died.

Q

Leo K.

Enjoy -- it's very fine!

http://takecare-maready.blogspot.com/2011/02/gustav-leonhardt-plays-froberger-1970.html

Thank you, very very much for the heads up on this. This recording has set me off on a Froberger kick, and I grabbed Richard Egarr's early Froberger set off iTunes ofr only 7.99 each, which is a good deal considering the high prices for the actual CDs  ;D

I'm listening to the first disk now, and it's incredible music. The organ and two harpsichords sound beautiful, I've been listening to Egarr a lot lately and I'm not dissapointed in this either!

8)

Que

Quote from: Leo K on January 15, 2012, 06:25:46 AM
I'm listening to the first disk now, and it's incredible music. The organ and two harpsichords sound beautiful, I've been listening to Egarr a lot lately and I'm not dissapointed in this either!

Ahhh, another Froberger fan in the making! :) I'm not much of an Egarr fan and am partial to Bob van Asperen's fabulous traversal on Aeolus - I did some posts on them on this thread in the past.

Hugely underrated stuff. Believe it or not but if I had to name one other German Baroque composer after bach, It would indeed be Johann Jakob Froberger... :o

Leo K.

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 15, 2012, 09:06:23 AM
Ahhh, another Froberger fan in the making! :) I'm not much of an Egarr fan and am partial to Bob van Asperen's fabulous traversal on Aeolus - I did some posts on them on this thread in the past.

Hugely underrated stuff. Believe it or not but if I had to name one other German Baroque composer after bach, It would indeed be Johann Jakob Froberger... :o

Thank you Q! I will be on the lookout for Bob van Asperen, thanks for the heads up!

Froberger's suites are incredibly dark sounding, a meditation on the world it seems...I am totally captivated.

:)

rubio

Which of these discs should I sample as a start? :)
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Que

Quote from: rubio on January 15, 2012, 09:25:17 PM
Which of these discs should I sample as a start? :)

The first four volumes are with his harpsichord music , and 1-3 are double CD's.
But frankly any of those that you can find for a good price would be fine.

His organ works are another matter - those into Frescobaldi's organ music shouldn't hesitate.

Q

Coopmv

Do you like Krebs and Pachelbel?