German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

My first foray into Buxtehude's harpsichord works, and what a set!

Coopmv

Quote from: Leo K on January 28, 2012, 05:39:24 AM

My first foray into Buxtehude's harpsichord works, and what a set!

Buxtehude was also an outstanding organist.  I just completed my first listen to the following set, which is my second set of complete organ works by Buxtehude.

Leo K.

Quote from: Coopmv on January 28, 2012, 05:45:25 AM
Buxtehude was also an outstanding organist.  I just completed my first listen to the following set, which is my second set of complete organ works by Buxtehude.

Coop, that is a set I was looking at before I got the Vogel, what are your first impressions? How is the organ sound?

Mandryka

I've been listening to a record of Johann Ludwig Krebs's 2nd Partita played by Anatoly Vedernikov. It sounds like very fine music. Can anyone suggest some versions on harpsichord of this partita?  Vedernikov is a Russian pianist.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Leo K on January 28, 2012, 05:53:24 AM
Coop, that is a set I was looking at before I got the Vogel, what are your first impressions? How is the organ sound?

We have a thread for Buxtehudes organ music. There I once wrote:

Walter Kraft´s interpretations are grandiose with an almost gothic air and also a tad romantic, but with great authority and expression and often reaching ecstatic effects. He plays the reconstructed Totentanz-organ (Karl Kemper) in Marienkirche, Lübeck. His registrations are full and sometimes a bit heavy. Recordings were made 1957 in early stereo, good for the time but sometimes with some distortion, and always with much reverberation (due to the great church). I don´t think his set is well suited for the first acquaintance with the works, and would rather recommend Vogel (see above) or Foccroulle.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Leo K.

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 03, 2012, 11:41:40 AM
We have a thread for Buxtehudes organ music. There I once wrote:

Walter Kraft´s interpretations are grandiose with an almost gothic air and also a tad romantic, but with great authority and expression and often reaching ecstatic effects. He plays the reconstructed Totentanz-organ (Karl Kemper) in Marienkirche, Lübeck. His registrations are full and sometimes a bit heavy. Recordings were made 1957 in early stereo, good for the time but sometimes with some distortion, and always with much reverberation (due to the great church). I don´t think his set is well suited for the first acquaintance with the works, and would rather recommend Vogel (see above) or Foccroulle.

Thanks for reposting that. I was able to relocate that thread. Thanks!

8)

Bogey

Thanks to Dave (Sonic) I picked up my first Fasch cd.  Not sure if you have this one to go with the other yet, Dave?

I really am enjoying this one, as is Linda.  If you like the baroque winds like myself (very prominent on this disc) and period instrumentation, then you may want to consider this one.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on February 18, 2012, 05:26:16 PM
Thanks to Dave (Sonic) I picked up my first Fasch cd.  Not sure if you have this one to go with the other yet, Dave?

I really am enjoying this one, as is Linda.  If you like the baroque winds like myself (very prominent on this disc) and period instrumentation, then you may want to consider this one.

Hi Bill - yes, I have both of those discs (inserted a pic of the other one above); own just over a half dozen Fasch recordings, so there is more to choose from if he delights the both of you - good luck in your 'future' choices!  Dave :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Leo K on January 28, 2012, 05:53:24 AM

The performance was quite good and the SQ is quite decent given the age of the recordings ...

71 dB

Listening to Johann Kuhnau's Sacret Music (The King's Consort/Robert King - Helios).  :)

Enjoyable stuff! It's great Hyperion re-releases these discs on Helios for low price.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on February 26, 2012, 02:11:06 AM
Listening to Johann Kuhnau's Sacret Music (The King's Consort/Robert King - Helios).  :)

Enjoyable stuff! It's great Hyperion re-releases these discs on Helios for low price.
In my opinion this is the best disc in their series (regrettably it ground to a halt after approximately 5 issues) of Bach's contemporaries.

71 dB

Quote from: The new erato on February 26, 2012, 02:13:25 AM
In my opinion this is the best disc in their series (regrettably it ground to a halt after approximately 5 issues) of Bach's contemporaries.

I haven't heard those other discs. The best in what sense? Music? Performance? Recorded sound?

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on February 26, 2012, 02:26:50 AM
I haven't heard those other discs. The best in what sense? Music? Performance? Recorded sound?
The best music, the performances are pretty homogeneous. I've had all the discs since their initial releases.

71 dB

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 19, 2012, 09:55:23 AM
Hi Bill - yes, I have both of those discs (inserted a pic of the other one above); own just over a half dozen Fasch recordings, so there is more to choose from if he delights the both of you - good luck in your 'future' choices!  Dave :)

Following up some Fasch, with this one that got buried at the bottom of my shelf that I had forgotten that I had. ;D:

The only repeat from my disc above is the Concerto in A Minor (FWV L:A3).  It will be fun to compare the two ensembles.

Here is a site for the ensemble for this CPO disc:

http://www.lastravaganza.de/index.htm
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

milk

I've been really enjoying Buxtehude's chamber music lately. I have an affinity for this kind of instrumentation and, outside of Rameau's (much later) concerts, I haven't enjoyed other similar baroque chamber compositions quite this much. I'm stunned that there are so few period recordings of Op. 2. I only see the Mortenson/Holloway/Linden recording. I chose L'Estravagante based on samples and haven't been disappointed, although the Gamba is sometimes a bit too much in the background.

Que

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 20, 2012, 03:54:09 PM
One of two items that landed today from Prestoclassical
[asin]B0030UO9W2[/asin]

There is an acute family resemblance to Bach's solo works, rather as if Bach took Westhoff's ideas and ran with them further, farther, higher.  Six partitas consisting of four movements each (in the invariable order of Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Gigue), total of 62'51.   There are two other recordings listed on Amazon,  and I know nothing about any of the three violinists involved, including the one on this recording.  Liner notes include a short essay by Letzbor on how he became involved with the works over time, but no biographical information, although his previous recordings suggest a concentration on works from the Baroque period.  Recorded in 2009 in Verbania, Italy.  If you don't get this recording, I would suggest getting one of the other two if you don't get this one, if you have any interest in Baroque or violin music.

Niiiicccee! :)

I have this recording of the accompanied sonatas (1694). :) Very much recommended! The Leztbor is still lingering on the wish list.. :-\

It is always so interesting to hear were Bach's ideas came from - and beautiful music in itself.

[asin]B0007DDR1Y[/asin]

I'd also recommend it's little brother:

[asin]B000H0MJ98[/asin]

And of course violin music by Biber and Schmelzer! :)

Q

milk

I'm enjoying this quite a bit. She plays an interesting instrument.

Wakefield

Quote from: Que on September 15, 2012, 12:24:54 AM

1st run. I was able to get it as a bargain in the original issue - with full booklet! :)

Sounds gorgeous BTW.

Q

It looks very nice, indeed.

Apparently, Rosenmüller wasn't a good person, but he was a great composer. I have failed to find a mediocre work composed by him.

This is one of my very favorite discs dedicated to him:

[asin]B003PN5UL8[/asin]

Andueza and Beyer are dynamite.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Que

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on September 15, 2012, 12:34:06 AM
It looks very nice, indeed.

Apparently, Rosenmüller wasn't a good person, but he was a great composer. I have failed to find a mediocre work composed by him.

He had reportedly had an inclination towards choir boys...

In any case, his flight from Leipzig to Venice probably decisive in establishing his fame and quality as a composer, who wrote in mixed German & Italian style of the early Baroque. Sounds like Schütz meets Monteverdi/Gabrieli/Cavalli! :)

QuoteThis is one of my very favorite discs dedicated to him:

[asin]B003PN5UL8[/asin]

Andueza and Beyer are dynamite.  :)

Thanks for the recommendation! :) I had already my eye on that one.

I also noticed this:

[asin]B003ZWPAX2[/asin]

And this, also included in the budget Cantus Cöln box set:

[asin]B005DIVDOG[/asin]

Q