German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Bogey on May 28, 2013, 06:17:41 PM
Considering:

Comments?
I nees stronger glasses (this is a comment).

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on May 29, 2013, 03:45:01 PM
;D

Bill - YET, a bigger image replaced above -  :D

I have nothing by this composer - the Amazon reviews are impressive (have not checked on others yet) - a little expensive, BUT I enjoy that ensemble so will add to my 'wish list' and await some other opinions - Dave :)

Geo Dude

Well, this looks interesting...

Geo Dude

What a wonderful disc.  Frankly, it leaves me tempted to take a swing at the BC complete Schutz box next month.

Bogey

I am looking for a decent recording of Fasch's bassoon works.  Any suggestions?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on July 08, 2013, 10:53:28 AM
I am looking for a decent recording of Fasch's bassoon works.  Any suggestions?

Hey Bill - I think that you've been smitten w/ Fasch (i.e. Johann, 1688-1758) - now, I have 8 CDs of his instrumental recordings and the bassoon is featured in many as one of a number of instruments, but you question piqued my interest - his compositions are listed HERE in this Wiki article (but apparently is outdated); however, there seem to be few works which feature the bassoon as the major instrument (found 1 concerto & some smaller chamber works) - interestingly, there is an International Fasch Society, which apparently is updating his works catalog - also, there is a discography there which I've not looked @ in detail - I'm going to check on Amazon now to see what may complement my current 'small' collection - this guy was quite prolific and probably deserves much more attention!  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Bill - just a quick follow-up - after checking Amazon, I ordered the disc below w/ Sergio Azzolini on a Baroque bassoon - love this guy and have a number of other CDs w/ him (e.g. Vivaldi) - this might be the best that you can do @ the moment - Dave :)

Bogey

Thanks, Dave.  I saw that one....more so because I have decent luck with the CPO label.  Let me know what else you dig up.  Did you see that I laneded the Quantz flute sonatas on the Hungaroton label?  Great disc!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on July 08, 2013, 06:49:19 PM
Thanks, Dave.  I saw that one....more so because I have decent luck with the CPO label.  Let me know what else you dig up.  Did you see that I laneded the Quantz flute sonatas on the Hungaroton label?  Great disc!

Hi again Bill - love the CPO label (have dozens of their CDs), so w/ Azzolini on bassoon should be 'up your alley.'  Love that gal on the flute in the Quantz sonatas - I've had the CD below on my 'wish list' for over a year (maybe two!) - just checked Amazon, BRO, & MDT - just OOP @ the moment.  Dave :)

Bogey

Thanks, Dave.  I still need to nail down the second Fasch disc on Accent with the Il Gardellino (Orchestra) and then I will be almost up to date with some baroque holes I am trying to fill (save the Bolivian baroque discs that I now enjoy).

Geo Dude

[asin]B002XG8LN2[/asin]

Any thoughts on this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The new erato

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 28, 2013, 07:31:03 PM
[asin]B002XG8LN2[/asin]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
It has been well received I think. I only hacve this one (in its original version):

[asin]B0063JALD8[/asin]

The reissued one is cheap, and it is superb.

71 dB

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 28, 2013, 07:31:03 PM
[asin]B002XG8LN2[/asin]

Highly recommended! Edgy performances of first rate baroque cantatas. Yummy!  :P

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Bogey

Now playing, Dave!

Superior in all aspects. :)

Bogey

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on August 10, 2013, 08:15:10 AM
Now playing, Dave!

Superior in all aspects. :)

Yep - thought that you might like that one!  The music, the group, & Azzolini just excellent - Dave :)

Bogey

Indeed I do.  It has been replayed a number of times.

Que

Quote from: North Star on September 05, 2013, 12:49:54 AM
[asin]B000H4VZ6W[/asin]

Funny how I - despite having seen that on Amazon several times and having read the interviews - only now realized that it's not lute music..
What do you think of the disc, Que?

I guess the term "lute-harpsichord" aka "Lautenwerck" is a bit confusing.. :) The disc is partly on harpsichord, partly on lute-harpsichord.

It is an extremely fine disc indeed - the recording of the lute-harpsichord is exemplary and the playing overall is superb.
Another beautiful recording of Weckmann's keyboard works is by Siebe Henstra, coupled with chamber music on a 2CD (Ricercar).
It is hard to choose one over the other - they are both excellent. Jan Katzschke's disc conveys, helped by the lute-harpsichord, more of an elegant, dreamy feel. Henstra is more muscular, emphasizing structure and brilliance -  a typical Dutch approach, showing Weckmann's connection - through Scheidemann - with Sweelinck.

[asin]B001RIGDMS[/asin]

Get both if you like Weckmann, or Katzschke in particular for a lute-harpsichord recording.

Jan Katzschke just made a brand new recording BTW - it will definitely be on my shopping list! :)

[asin]B00DERONQS[/asin]

Q

North Star

Quote from: Que on September 05, 2013, 11:20:57 PM
I guess the term "lute-harpsichord" aka "Lautenwerck" is a bit confusing.. :) The disc is partly on harpsichord, partly on lute-harpsichord.

It is an extremely fine disc indeed - the recording of the lute-harpsichord is exemplary and the playing overall is superb.
Another beautiful recording of Weckmann's keyboard works is by Siebe Henstra, coupled with chamber music on a 2CD (Ricercar).
It is hard to choose one over the other - they are both excellent. Jan Katzschke's disc conveys, helped by the lute-harpsichord, more of an elegant, dreamy feel. Henstra is more muscular, emphasizing structure and brilliance -  a typical Dutch approach, showing Weckmann's connection - through Scheidemann - with Sweelinck.

[asin ]B001RIGDMS[/asin]

Get both if you like Weckmann, or Katzschke in particular for a lute-harpsichord recording.

Jan Katzschke just made a brand new recording BTW - it will definitely be on my shopping list! :)

[asin ]B00DERONQS[/asin]

Q
Thanks for the reply!
I think it was the cover art which mainly threw me. Apparently the whole disc is at Youtube. I hope this kind of thing has mainly a positive effect on sales - though it is also in Spotify, along with the new Kuhnau disc.
After listening to the first 18 minutes, I can say that the instruments, playing, recording and music are all first class. This is definitely on the wish list.
(Scheidemann's name I don't even recall seeing before, and haven't heard practically any Sweelinck  :-[)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr