German Baroque Music

Started by Que, July 08, 2007, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 11, 2013, 08:41:47 AM
Of course the word "pedantic" was not written with you in mind. It wasn´t but a general (rhetoric) consideration. And never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that you might feel it intended for you.

Phewww, glad to hear that. ;)

QuoteHuguette Gremy-Chauliac is an outstanding musician, judged from her Dieupart suites and the two other recordings of hers I own (lesser known Händel suites and suites by L. Couperin). But mp3 download isn´t exactly me.

I only know her Dieupart and that is indeed outstanding, a marvelous disc which is one of my favourite harpsichord recordings.

QuoteI do not know the Andrus Madsen double CD, but as late as yesterday I put it on my wishlist and shall acquire it within foreseeable time.

Will be interested in your findings. :)

Q

Florestan

Any opinions on this, please?

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Posted in the listening thread and a new acquisition  only (own the 2-disc chamber set added below) - so for me an introduction to another earlier Baroque composer - the harpsichord CD is excellent - must checkout some of Weckmann's sacred works - seen a couple recordings posted here - Dave :)

QuoteWeckmann, Matthias (c. 1616-1664) - Works for Harpsichord w/ Jan Katzschke on a harpsichord based on German models around 1700 by Dietrich Hein & a lute harpsichord built by Keith Hill in the USA based on historic information (5 of the 16 tracks played on the latter instrument - love the gut strings!) - excellent review by Mr. Bruno HERE - Dave :)

prémont

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 26, 2013, 08:04:39 AM
Posted in the listening thread and a new acquisition  only (own the 2-disc chamber set added below) - so for me an introduction to another earlier Baroque composer - the harpsichord CD is excellent - must checkout some of Weckmann's sacred works - seen a couple recordings posted here - Dave :)

Do not forget Siebe Henstra´s harpsichord Weckmann CD in the Ricercare twofer. It is rather good, even if it is not as imaginative as Katzschke´s.

My favorite Weckmann harpsichord CD´s are the one by Noelle Spieth on Solstice - only available as download:

http://www.amazon.com/Weckmann-L-uvre-pour-clavecin/dp/B003ELJS1E/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1385506637&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=weckmann+noelle+spieth

and the Gustav Leonhardt Sony CD with works by Weckmann and Froberger.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 26, 2013, 02:05:01 PM
Do not forget Siebe Henstra´s harpsichord Weckmann CD in the Ricercare twofer. It is rather good, even if it is not as imaginative as Katzschke´s.

My favorite Weckmann harpsichord CD´s are the one by Noelle Spieth on Solstice - only available as download:

http://www.amazon.com/Weckmann-L-uvre-pour-clavecin/dp/B003ELJS1E/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1385506637&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=weckmann+noelle+spieth

and the Gustav Leonhardt Sony CD with works by Weckmann and Froberger.

Hi Premont - the Spieth DL is of interest - did a brief comparison and seems to be just a little overlap in the works performed.  In the meantime, I wanted to obtain some of Weckmann's vocal works and ordered the CD below from Amazon - thanks for the comments - Dave :)

prémont

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 26, 2013, 04:35:59 PM
Hi Premont - the Spieth DL is of interest - did a brief comparison and seems to be just a little overlap in the works performed.  In the meantime, I wanted to obtain some of Weckmann's vocal works and ordered the CD below from Amazon - thanks for the comments - Dave :)

Relative few works of Weckmann are extant to day, and all three recordings (Spieth, Katzschke and Henstra) claim to contain Weckmann´s complete harpsichord works. .
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 27, 2013, 09:35:10 AM
Relative few works of Weckmann are extant to day, and all three recordings (Spieth, Katzschke and Henstra) claim to contain Weckmann´s complete harpsichord works. .

Well, after your recommendation yesterday, I did an MP3 DL from ClassicsOnline - burned the files to a CD-R and listened this morning - I agree the performance is excellent (but I also like the other) - there was a glitch in tract 6, so I'll burn another CD-R today (and likely skip that tract - it does play on my computer - just don't want to make a lot of 'coasters'!)  -  Dave :)

Mandryka

I just want to share this discovery I found on spotify, in case anyone has the time and interest to check it out. I don't know anything about the organist, I can't find any English or French informantion about Martin Neu on line. The Ahrend organ in Herzogenaurach is small scale, colourful, and I think it sounds just right. The CD contains two Boehm choral partitas, I just think the performances are wonderful - lyrical, rapt, introspective music making.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

thebestsound

I may be way out in left field, but I'm trying to find some German horn music I heard on a disc from my local library. The disc is long gone (some rat stole or lost it).  I think Hermann Baumann was the fellow playing the antique horns. The title might have been German Hunting Music. This might not be considered baroque music.  Anyone know something about this ? Thanks

Bogey

Quote from: thebestsound on February 26, 2014, 10:46:43 AM
I may be way out in left field, but I'm trying to find some German horn music I heard on a disc from my local library. The disc is long gone (some rat stole or lost it).  I think Hermann Baumann was the fellow playing the antique horns. The title might have been German Hunting Music. This might not be considered baroque music.  Anyone know something about this ? Thanks

Three pages to choose from here
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A5174%2Cn%3A85%2Ck%3Ahunting+horns&keywords=hunting+horns&ie=UTF8&qid=1393553254

and best guess:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Moonfish

[I figured I should post this here as well]

German Baroque. Released April 29, 2014 in the US
The Ricercar label is endlessly intriguing.... 
Any thoughts on these recordings?

Contents:
http://issuu.com/elvanden/docs/ric344_livret-web/1?e=6026233/7213391

[asin] B00I652306[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I am considering this set. Does anybody on this eminent thread have these recordings? Thoughts?

P

[asin] B000V1UVSY[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Moonfish on May 08, 2014, 01:11:26 AM
[I figured I should post this here as well]

German Baroque. Released April 29, 2014 in the US
The Ricercar label is endlessly intriguing.... 
Any thoughts on these recordings?

Contents:
http://issuu.com/elvanden/docs/ric344_livret-web/1?e=6026233/7213391

[asin] B00I652306[/asin]

Needless to say I went ahead and ordered this Ricercar set. The Buxtehude recording from this set is wonderful. I have been listening to it over and over.  Hmm, this time period definitely has some beautiful music...   :)
Anna Lappé

Wakefield

Quote from: Moonfish on May 24, 2014, 10:52:39 PM
I am considering this set. Does anybody on this eminent thread have these recordings? Thoughts?

P

[asin] B000V1UVSY[/asin]

I don't have it, but it should be noticed they play modern instruments.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

milk

I wonder if Froberger works on piano. Or if anyone has heard a performance on piano that they liked.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on August 23, 2014, 03:14:35 AM
I wonder if Froberger works on piano. Or if anyone has heard a performance on piano that they liked.

Sokolov spent about 10 years really focused exclusively on baroque music for piano, see what you think of his Froberger. I haven't given it a lot of attention to be honest. I have a recording of it with better sound than this youtube, let me know if you want it. The youtube doesn't seem to do it justice at all -- when you see Sokolov you see that the tone he makes is a major part of his art.

https://www.youtube.com/v/2krTDn6MSWY
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on August 23, 2014, 09:30:38 AM
Sokolov spent about 10 years really focused exclusively on baroque music for piano, see what you think of his Froberger. I haven't given it a lot of attention to be honest. I have a recording of it with better sound than this youtube, let me know if you want it. The youtube doesn't seem to do it justice at all -- when you see Sokolov you see that the tone he makes is a major part of his art.

https://www.youtube.com/v/2krTDn6MSWY
Thanks! I'll check it out.

clavichorder

Georg Muffat wrote 12 very fine concerti grossi, some of the best orchestral music of that generation that includes Corelli and Alessandro Scarlatti.

His son Gottlieb Muffat wrote some of the finest harpsichord music of the high baroque, in his suites.

SonicMan46

Quote from: clavichorder on October 11, 2014, 04:33:52 PM
Georg Muffat wrote 12 very fine concerti grossi, some of the best orchestral music of that generation that includes Corelli and Alessandro Scarlatti.

His son Gottlieb Muffat wrote some of the finest harpsichord music of the high baroque, in his suites.

OK - I have the two CDs below of Georg Muffat - nothing by his son - can you educate us further about this father-son duo - any other specific recommendations to consider?  There are plenty of Baroque composers writing in these genres that many of us enjoy - Dave :)

Wakefield

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 11, 2014, 05:13:14 PM
OK - I have the two CDs below of Georg Muffat - nothing by his son - can you educate us further about this father-son duo - any other specific recommendations to consider?  There are plenty of Baroque composers writing in these genres that many of us enjoy - Dave :)

Hi, Dave. I would recommend you to check out this recording of the Concerti Grossi:

[asin]B00005N8DP[/asin]

[asin]B00005UO8O[/asin]

PI... I have a high opinion of these disks.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire