Essential Releases

Started by WheatThin, April 11, 2007, 09:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WheatThin

Hi All,

Am new here.  Generally, am a jazz listener but am looking to expand my collection of classical music.  I want to avoid the cheesy "Best Of" collections.  But, I would like the "classic" performances.  For example, Sviatoslav Richter - Rach #2/Tchaikovsky #1.  Again, looking for the greatest recordings of the greatest works.  If you had to make a list of must-have discs, what would they be?

You get the idea.  Thanks in advance for any help!

toledobass

It's really subjective as to what the "greatest recording" is.  It's sort of like asking who the greatest hard bop player is. The best thing you can do is listen to a lot of different interpreters in the repertoire you are enjoying at the time being and soon you start to develop what kind of performance you prefer.  With that said here are two recources that could be helpful as a starting point.

Good Music Guide recording recomendations

Classics Today 100 CD's for building your collection

Rememeber to use recources such as the local library to hear stuff too,  that'll help with the pocketbook.

Good luck on your journey,
Allan

WheatThin

Those links are really helpful. Thanks.

Que

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on April 11, 2007, 11:02:42 AM
It's really subjective as to what the "greatest recording" is.  It's sort of like asking who the greatest hard bop player is. The best thing you can do is listen to a lot of different interpreters in the repertoire you are enjoying at the time being and soon you start to develop what kind of performance you prefer. 

Just seconding Allan's comments.  If you ask this board, "What is the greatest performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5?" you will get 100 different answers.  (Well, OK, maybe 50.  ;D

Further, given that your first love is jazz, it's hard to say what might catch your ear in classical music.  It might be something a bit unexpected.  For example, if you've already heard the Richter/Rachmaninov/Tchaikovsky recording (and assuming you like it), consider seeking out other examples of Richter's work, as well as those two composers.  And then experiment: listen to all sorts of other things.  My favorite current example: a friend who got into classical music listening to Berg, Webern and Schoenberg -- not your typical starting point, but he is totally in love with that music.  Try all sorts of composers -- you don't know what you might like until you hear it.

--Bruce

Maciek

And another link:

The Definitive CDs By Norman Lebrecht. The lists are always a subjective thing but this one is an enjoyable, interesting, educational read!

Maciek

MishaK

Quote from: MrOsa on April 11, 2007, 01:33:30 PM
And another link:

The Definitive CDs By Norman Lebrecht. The lists are always a subjective thing but this one is an enjoyable, interesting, educational read!

Maciek

Granted lists are subjective, but Lebrecht's list is downright bizzarre. The selections seem to have been chosen more for the -- in his eyes anyway -- historical significance of the event surrounding the recording than the musical qualities of the performances as such.

Maciek

Well, he says it himself:

Over the coming months, I shall enumerate what I believe to be the 100 most important classical recordings of all time, viewed from the finishing line. Important, mind, not best.

MishaK

Quote from: MrOsa on April 11, 2007, 01:50:39 PM
Well, he says it himself:

Sure, but "important" in what sense? As an event or musically? Why should I care about a historical circumstance that is inaudible on playback when the msuical results are not anything special?

Maciek

Well, you have to ask him that. ;D

Brian

listed by either conductor or soloist, some that come right off the top of my head

Brahms Symphony No. 4: Carlos Kleiber
Beethoven Symphonies Nos. 5 and 7: Carlos Kleiber
Music of Johann Strauss: Carlos Kleiber
- - -
now that we're beyond Kleiber:
Tchaikovsky Symphonies 4-5-6: Evgeny Mravinsky
Dvorak Symphonies 8-9: Sir Charles Mackerras or Rafael Kubelik or Otmar Suitner
Grieg Peer Gynt suite: Sir Thomas Beecham
Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Sibelius Violin Concerti: Jascha Heifetz
Beethoven piano sonatas: Bruce Hungerford or Annie Fischer
Smetana Ma Vlast: Rafael Kubelik (Supraphon) or Antoni Wit
Brahms Hungarian Dances: Istvan Bogar or Ivan Fischer
Schubert symphonies: Nikolaus Harnoncourt
Mozart clarinet concerto: Sabine Meyer
Borodin Symphony No. 2 and Prince Igor highlights: Loris Tjeknavorian
R. Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra, Tod und Verklarung: Rudolf Kempe
"Ivan Moravec Plays Debussy and Chopin"
Chopin Nocturnes and Impromptus: Claudio Arrau

there are some!  :)

Music a jazz-lover would like:

Gershwin Porgy and Bess: Houston Grand Opera (honestly there are no completely satisfactory recordings of this work)
Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue: (not sure who to recommend; lots of great recordings)
Gershwin piano music: Gershwin himself (piano rolls on Nonesuch Records)
Gottschalk piano music: Cecile Licad

I should note my concept of "the greatest music" is somewhat skewed, though I've endeavoured to include for sure the greatest recordings of the music I included.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: O Mensch on April 11, 2007, 01:46:04 PM
Granted lists are subjective, but Lebrecht's list is downright bizzarre. The selections seem to have been chosen more for the -- in his eyes anyway -- historical significance of the event surrounding the recording than the musical qualities of the performances as such.

What about the 20 worst CDs that Lebrecht promised, that would be more interesting than the top 100. Anyway the only MUSIC I don't have (other than the Hyperion complete Schubert) is Goldschmidt's Der Gewaltige Hahnrei so I'll get that one.

And how do you put Zinman's Beethoven cycle up there. There are probably at least 10 that I would take over him.

Brian

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 11, 2007, 04:38:20 PM
What about the 20 worst CDs that Lebrecht promised, that would be more interesting than the top 100. Anyway the only MUSIC I don't have (other than the Hyperion complete Schubert) is Goldschmidt's Der Gewaltige Hahnrei so I'll get that one.

And how do you put Zinman's Beethoven cycle up there. There are probably at least 10 that I would take over him.
Especially as I believe Blomstedt's is about $25 now?

PerfectWagnerite

Blomstedt? 10 Euro at JPC or $15 from BRO.

Daverz

I started working on a Listmania list called "Classical Entry Points", but I haven't finished commenting all the entries.  It's mostly Romantic and early modern music.

Susan de Visne

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 11, 2007, 04:38:20 PM
What about the 20 worst CDs that Lebrecht promised, that would be more interesting than the top 100.

Since he apparently includes the Pears/Britten Winterreise, acknowledged by most to be one of the most superb interpretations ever, I will never take anything he suggests seriously. I think he's just trying to stir up controversy.

Xenophanes

Quote from: MrOsa on April 11, 2007, 01:33:30 PM
And another link:

Maciek

I came across this uproarious little item about Pierre Monteux in No. 70 of Lebrecht's list, that he came to London in 1958 and at the age of 83:

"Monteux struck up a rapport with the LSO in the summer of 1958 and agreed to become principal conductor - on a 25-year contract, with an option for renewal. His optimism was irresistible."

ROTFLOL

One of my high school teachers had a Monteux story.  He had conducted a large choral work with an orchestra (probably the CSO) and a presumably unpaid chorus including the teacher.  At the end, Monteux thanked and shook hands with every member of the chorus as they filed off the bleachers.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: WheatThin on April 11, 2007, 09:10:38 AM
Hi All,

Am new here.  Generally, am a jazz listener but am looking to expand my collection of classical music.  I want to avoid the cheesy "Best Of" collections.  But, I would like the "classic" performances.  For example, Sviatoslav Richter - Rach #2/Tchaikovsky #1.  Again, looking for the greatest recordings of the greatest works.  If you had to make a list of must-have discs, what would they be?

You get the idea.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Wheat,

The obvious answer is to ignore every reply except mine. Seriously, though, how many discs are you looking to buy? For now, what composers, genres, and periods interest you? which ones are you sure you don't like?

George

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on April 16, 2007, 10:50:30 AM
The obvious answer is to ignore every reply except mine.

For a moment, I thought M Forever had stolen your identity.  ;)

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: George on April 23, 2007, 12:50:53 PM
For a moment, I thought M Forever had stolen your identity.  ;)

He just borrowed it but I made him give it back. I would be happy to help the cracker who posted the original question, but not unless he comes back and continues to participate.