help with a university project I'm doing. UK only

Started by nickb, March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickb

Hi guys,

Apologies for the blanket coverage but I was really hoping someone could help me with my university project.  I'm trying to discover the ways people interact with classical music in the modern age and what technology they do so with.  If anyone is from the UK (sorry to everyone else) and wouldn't mind answering the below questions it would really help me out for some qualitative research.  Thanks a lot

1. What do you like about classical music?
2. When do you like to listen to classical music?
3. Do you prefer to listen to classical music on your own?
4. How do you listen?
       - Radio / Live / CD / Online radio player / Podcast / concert on TV etc 5. If you wanted to find classical music on the radio, where would you go?
6. What do you think of Classic FM?
7. What do you think of BBC Radio 3?

vandermolen

I) It fulfills an emotional need in me.

2) At home and in my car, driving to work.

3) Yes, as my wife and daughter do not share my musical tastes.

4) CD player at home and in car, occasional concerts.

5) Radio 3 usually, occasionally Classic FM.

6) Annoyingly chirpy tone of presenters gets on my nerves. Fed up hearing the same popular classics repeatedly and fragments of complete works. Adverts are inevitable but very irritating.

7) Unfortunately becoming more populist like Classic FM. For example annoyingly perky tone of (some) presenters, snippets of music sometimes rather than complete works, requests for listeners to 'text in', tweet, chirp or whatever (although I have to confess to occasionally texting in myself - but absolutely no tweeting  :o) Still, despite all of this Radio 3 remains my favourite radio station, alongside Radio 4.

Good luck with the research.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Montpellier

1. What do you like about classical music?

I've often asked myself that without finding an answer other than it's a drug that can support or adjust mood. I like it 'on' in the background.

2. When do you like to listen to classical music?

Travelling on business; occasional evenings at home; in bed at night: MP3 player.

3. Do you prefer to listen to classical music on your own?

In that I can choose what to listen to. My family attends concerts, opera, but they are usually more popular repertoire

4. How do you listen?
       - Radio / Live / CD / Online radio player / Podcast / concert on TV etc 5. If you wanted to find classical music on the radio, where would you go?

Live concerts/CD/MP3 player / Sky Arts when something good is on or BBC2 or 4 / Radio 3

6. What do you think of Classic FM?

Horrid.

7. What do you think of BBC Radio 3?

A lot more than Classic FM. R3 offers live concerts (or recordings of live performances) sometimes of more obscure works; it commissions new work and still preserves its "Hear and Now" contemporary spot. It's becoming more pop but still miles ahead of Classic FM

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Scion7

Quote from: nickb on March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM1. What do you like about classical music?
I admire the artistic greatness in the best individual composers - these works are some of the pinnacles of Art.  I enjoy the both the drama in the music, and when it is languid.  I enjoy listening to people who have worked and practiced so hard and sacrificed to play the work of these composers, and the magic of a virtuoso.

Quote from: nickb on March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM2. When do you like to listen to classical music?
The early morning hours, and the afternoons, and the evenings.   :)   In the car when driving either on CD or when an FM station's reception is good enough.

Quote from: nickb on March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM3. Do you prefer to listen to classical music on your own?
Depends on the situation.  However if anyone is ever over that is up to listening I always put music on ...

Quote from: nickb on March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM4. How do you listen?
       - Radio / Live / CD / Online radio player / Podcast / concert on TV etc
You left off vinyl LP - which will be a media source for quite some time to come (collections/used bins). All of the above.  Podcasts pretty rarely.

Quote from: nickb on March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM5. If you wanted to find classical music on the radio, where would you go?
Late night BBC, or the Davidson College FM station.

Quote from: nickb on March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM6. What do you think of Classic FM?
I like what I hear on it, but am missing so much that I don't hear - stations generally do all-requests - after all, they exist on user donations to a great degree - and today, just as it was 100 years ago, that means the major Baroque, Classic and Romantic composers.  It's rare that the experimental works of Bartok, Hindemith or Schoenberg get much airplay.

Quote from: nickb on March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM7. What do you think of BBC Radio 3?
I think they should cancel Lebrecht, for starters.  And they should archive all of their music program-documentaries, instead of just a few.  Generally the best Classical station in the Western World - but that doesn't excuse the problems/issues we have with them.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

cwarchc

1) The diversity, whatever mood you are in, you can find a piece to compliment

2) on the way to and from work, in the evenings when the wife is watching "soaps"

3)Tends to be on headphones, see above

4)Yes to all

5)Classic fm and radio 3

6)Good for the commute, not as good in the evening - though they do improve their playlists

7)like it for home listening