GMG listening group: Jean Sibelius - Symphony No. 7, Op. 105 | ~2-8 July 2012

Started by Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich, June 27, 2012, 01:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Following this thread...

I have much stuff in my listening queue, Sibelius Symphony No. 7 is on the top of it, good reason: a) it is said to be a popular tune of his b) it is said to be a great work - but c) didn't work for me immediately, I only listened a few times to it and less intensely. I didn't see the point of the symphony, but I'm willing to.

I'll be listening to Maazel/Vienna/Decca:

[asin]B00004TTX3[/asin]
Sibelius 7 thread on GMG
Sibelius 7 on Wikipedia

Feel free to participate!

North Star

Next week should suit me just fine. I have Neeme Järvi & Gothenburg, and I'll perhaps find some more from Spotify.

Here's more on the work:
http://www.sibelius.fi/english/musiikki/ork_sinf_07.htm
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Gurn Blanston

Splendid move, Tapio. I shall watch with interest, perhaps contribute if I can. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

listener

Stimulating idea and note, I've got a batch to listen to`:
   Ashkenazy, Vladimir                 Philharmonia O
   Beecham, Sir Thomas   Royal Philharmonic O
   Bernstein, Leonard                 New York Philharmonic
   Collins, Anthony                 London S O
   Davis, Colin                 Boston S.O.
   Karajan                                Philharmonia O (vinyl)
   Karajan                                Philharmonia O  cd copy
   Koussevitzky, Serge      BBC Symphony Orch
   Sakari, Petri                 Iceland S O
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

In case of the seventh, I even don't know what the general consensus about top performances is. Anyway, as a first step I need to like the work at least just a bit ... today is the day; I'll be listening to only Sib#7 7days, 24hrs ;) Oh, I have to work in between.. Good it's just 20 minutes long, I'll put it in my car for listening there as well...

I listened to Sibelius' seventh Symphony three times from Monday. I must say I'm still confused and feel kind of lost. My problem is, I don't see any connections in the many themes and ideas. To me the Symphony seems to develop from one idea to the next, but with no goal; it's just going on, no center, nothing that holds me, no outstanding climax, you get the idea. Do I like it? I am not sure at all!

Oh, and there is that german Wikipedia article: Full of theory, but I'm not having the score and also I'm no musicologist - so it wasn't helpful at all...

What I can definitely say is, I hear Tapiola shining through: The Timpani start of course. But also e.g. here you can firmly hear the wood sprites – very similar composing I think. Tapiola references very often came to my mind. In 10:45, the kind of violin "struggle", up-down-motive, this is something central that's also present in Tapiola (here), before the ending, with maybe more layers in the strings. A very interesting passage is the least I can say. In Tapiola, it has a conclusion, some kind of ending with a motive close to the Beethoven 5 start... but here, it just stands for its own. Hmmm.

I was searching long for what it was, now I know: this string passage reminds me of the slow movements theme in Beethovens Ninth.

I think at 12:50 a second part starts, with some kind of friendly melody. I think the symphony goes on with a dance/waltz style, very happy... Where does a third part start?

[Ending]
At 18:15, I was expecting an abrupt ending like in Sibelius 5th, but then 18:40 rather sounds like a typical Shostakovichian drama... 19:40 ff..: Tapiola again ;-) And hmmm, the ending is... alright?

I need further listens. BTW my links aim to Youtube/Segerstam, but I listened to Maazel/Vienna as mentioned above.

North Star

Didn't have time for this today, will try to do better tomorrow.
Tapiola and the 7th do have a lot in common stylistically, but Tapiola only came two years later, after commission.
Good observations, Tapio (named after Op. 112 ? ;))

The 'blowing wind' passage (10:45), and how it's placed, is interesting. Some sort of pastoral calmness after that, I'd say. At 13:50, reminds me of Beethoven's 6th - there is the storm, too, and the resolution.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Quote from: North Star on July 03, 2012, 02:12:52 PMThe 'blowing wind' passage (10:45), and how it's placed, is interesting. Some sort of pastoral calmness after that, I'd say. At 13:50, reminds me of Beethoven's 6th - there is the storm, too, and the resolution.
Shepherds' song: cheerful and thankful feelings after the storm? - yeah, it's a bit like this, I agree. I think what I called the second part (see above) is in a similar vein...

listener

a reminder that it's included in a forthcoming BBC Proms concert (which may have a webcast?)
Tuesday 17 July   7.30pm – c. 9.50pm
R. Strauss  Also sprach Zarathustra (32 mins)   Four Last Songs (22 mins)
INTERVAL
Kaija Saariaho    Laterna magica (22 mins)   UK Premiere
Sibelius   Symphony No. 7 in C major (23 mins)
Anne Schwanewilms soprano
BBC Philharmonic        Juanjo Mena conductor 
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

snyprrr

Quote from: Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich on June 27, 2012, 01:24:33 PM
Following this thread...

I have much stuff in my listening queue, Sibelius Symphony No. 7 is on the top of it, good reason: a) it is said to be a popular tune of his b) it is said to be a great work - but c) didn't work for me immediately, I only listened a few times to it and less intensely. I didn't see the point of the symphony, but I'm willing to.

I'll be listening to Maazel/Vienna/Decca:

[asin]B00004TTX3[/asin]
Sibelius 7 thread on GMG
Sibelius 7 on Wikipedia

Feel free to participate!

a 'popular tune'?,... giggle :-*

eyeresist

Quote from: Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich on July 03, 2012, 04:00:29 AMI listened to Sibelius' seventh Symphony three times from Monday. I must say I'm still confused and feel kind of lost. My problem is, I don't see any connections in the many themes and ideas. To me the Symphony seems to develop from one idea to the next, but with no goal; it's just going on, no center, nothing that holds me, no outstanding climax, you get the idea. Do I like it? I am not sure at all!

I think Sibelius was trying to write a work with no repetition. The problem with a work containing no repetition is that it's hard to discern its structure. He does technically repeat some phrases, but they are always varied from the original. Try keeping this in mind next time you listen.