Author Topic: 21st century classical music  (Read 232390 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: 21st century classical music
« Reply #1400 on: May 05, 2021, 12:25:23 PM »
I spent some time today just randomly browsing tracks on recent Donauesingen Musiktage recordings - 2019, 2018 . . .And it is oh so depressing, I mean I’ve heard it all before so many times, nothing fresh. And then suddenly, out of nowhere, comes a composer I’ve never even heard of with a voice of his own - Eivind Buene. Not on YouTube but streaming on the usual platforms, this is interesting music, no doubt about it.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:27:02 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline mabuse

« Reply #1401 on: May 05, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »
I spent some time today just randomly browsing tracks on recent Donauesingen Musiktage recordings - 2019, 2018 . . .And it is oh so depressing, I mean I’ve heard it all before so many times, nothing fresh.

Do you know Matthew Shlomowitz ?

At the Donaueschingen Musiktage 2019, his work for keyboards and orchestra was absolutely crazy !   ???

Glücklich Glücklich Freude Freude (2019 - 20 minutes)
SWR Symphony Orchestra (soloist: Mark Knoop, conductor: Emilio Pomarico)
Donaueschinger Musiktage, Germany - 18 October 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHne0aVjzRQ&t=560s

Offline mabuse

« Reply #1402 on: May 05, 2021, 02:04:39 PM »
Aaron Cassidy: Second String Quartet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6B5zLaHiU

The JACK Quartet performs the West Coast premiere of Aaron Cassidy's Second String Quartet for the Monday Evening Concerts series on February 14, 2011 at Zipper Concert Hall at the Colburn School.

:)

I am rarely disappointed with the JACK Quartet... They are great.

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    The museum of musical modernism
« Reply #1403 on: May 06, 2021, 12:48:47 AM »
I spent some time today just randomly browsing tracks on recent Donauesingen Musiktage recordings - 2019, 2018 . . .And it is oh so depressing, I mean I’ve heard it all before so many times, nothing fresh.

Are a lot of them doing “Avant-Garde” things that had already been done fifty years ago?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1404 on: May 06, 2021, 02:08:10 AM »
Are a lot of them doing “Avant-Garde” things that had already been done fifty years ago?

Well this is the 50th anniversary of Stockhausen’s Mantra - no-one’s doing anything remotely like that at Donaueschinger at least!

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1405 on: May 06, 2021, 02:11:53 AM »
Do you know Matthew Shlomowitz ?

At the Donaueschingen Musiktage 2019, his work for keyboards and orchestra was absolutely crazy !   ???

Glücklich Glücklich Freude Freude (2019 - 20 minutes)
SWR Symphony Orchestra (soloist: Mark Knoop, conductor: Emilio Pomarico)
Donaueschinger Musiktage, Germany - 18 October 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHne0aVjzRQ&t=560s

Listening to Mark Knoop’s CD recording (with music by Peter Ablinger) now - will check the YouTube later, thanks.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1406 on: May 06, 2021, 02:35:48 AM »
I spent some time today just randomly browsing tracks on recent Donauesingen Musiktage recordings - 2019, 2018 . . .And it is oh so depressing, I mean I’ve heard it all before so many times, nothing fresh. And then suddenly, out of nowhere, comes a composer I’ve never even heard of with a voice of his own - Eivind Buene. Not on YouTube but streaming on the usual platforms, this is interesting music, no doubt about it.

Back to this this morning, this guy’s the real deal.

Offline mabuse

« Reply #1407 on: May 06, 2021, 08:54:45 AM »
Listening to Mark Knoop’s CD recording (with music by Peter Ablinger) now - will check the YouTube later, thanks.

When at the end Matthew Shlomowitz get up on the stage under the boos, it's a real moment of glory  :laugh:

I especially like this record of him on All That Dust record label and also with Mark Knoop... 
:P