21st century classical music

Started by James, May 25, 2012, 04:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Henk

Quote from: sanantonio on January 17, 2013, 10:21:30 AM
Amos Elkana (1967)

Elkana's music is a bit different from most Israeli composers who seem to prefer to work with folk melodies, etc., in a generally tonal environment.  His music is more in the soundworld of Ligeti and he has received the endorsement of Israel's grandfather of serialism, Josef Tal.

I am listening right now to a work for orchestra, Tru'a included in the compilation Perspectives 2

[asin]B001JIR3HK[/asin]

Looks interesting, though too progressive for my taste.

bhodges

Quote from: Henk on January 17, 2013, 10:27:06 AM
Funny. Sciarrino is classic. She's not.

??? Don't know what this means...

I just discovered Czernowin's music about a year ago, and it's pretty demanding, uncompromising stuff. Her opera, Pnima...ins Innere, is like nothing else I've seen. And thanks for reminding me of that Richard Barrett Dark Matters, which I intended to get - until I forgot about it!

--Bruce

San Antone

Quote from: Brewski on January 17, 2013, 10:34:25 AM
??? Don't know what this means...

I just discovered Czernowin's music about a year ago, and it's pretty demanding, uncompromising stuff. Her opera, Pnima...ins Innere, is like nothing else I've seen. And thanks for reminding me of that Richard Barrett Dark Matters, which I intended to get - until I forgot about it!

--Bruce

Thanks.  I sometimes feel like a tree falling in the forest.

;)

bhodges

Quote from: sanantonio on January 17, 2013, 10:46:07 AM
Thanks.  I sometimes feel like a tree falling in the forest.

;)

;D I am definitely in the camp of those here who (at the moment, for better or worse) read much more than post. And I know there are generally other fans of the composers you mention - they are probably as time-strapped as I am...

So even though we may not be able to reply in great detail, some of us are reading!

--Bruce

San Antone

I've found these Israeli composers from a really nice website called The Living Composers Project.  It is organzed by country, and since Israel is an interest of mine, I thought to start there, plus Israel has a manageable list, whereas some countries, e.g. the USA, have such enormous lists it will take some time to drill down into them.

One more name before I go, Erel Paz - is another Israeli composer working in a more rigorous style than what one normally finds from this country's composers.

His website has a radio stream of his music.

San Antone

Quote from: Brewski on January 17, 2013, 10:53:54 AM
;D I am definitely in the camp of those here who (at the moment, for better or worse) read much more than post. And I know there are generally other fans of the composers you mention - they are probably as time-strapped as I am...

So even though we may not be able to reply in great detail, some of us are reading!

--Bruce

Oh, I understand.    :D     I enjoy finding and posting about new composers.  It is its own reward.

:)

dyn

Quote from: sanantonio on January 17, 2013, 10:55:05 AM
I've found these Israeli composers from a really nice website called The Living Composers Project.  It is organzed by country, and since Israel is an interest of mine, I thought to start there, plus Israel has a manageable list, whereas some countries, e.g. the USA, have such enormous lists it will take some time to drill down into them.

One more name before I go, Erel Paz - is another Israeli composer working in a more rigorous style than what one normally finds from this country's composers.

His website has a radio stream of his music.

here's another radio station that may interest you - http://www.halas.am/#/about/ (it autoplays whatever's currently on, you can turn it off if you don't like it)

there's alot of hard-to-find experimental and avant-garde music, very little of it traditionally classical; you can search by genre. all the programs can be downloaded as MP3s if you're so inclined.

Henk

Quote from: Henk on January 17, 2013, 10:27:06 AM
Funny. Sciarrino is classic. She's not.

I don't mean it personal, but as a composer.

San Antone

Quote from: dyn on January 17, 2013, 02:02:51 PM
here's another radio station that may interest you - http://www.halas.am/#/about/ (it autoplays whatever's currently on, you can turn it off if you don't like it)

there's alot of hard-to-find experimental and avant-garde music, very little of it traditionally classical; you can search by genre. all the programs can be downloaded as MP3s if you're so inclined.

Nice.  Thanks.

Henk

Not "classic", but "classical" I meant. I'm no native english speaker you know.

Bruce, still listening to all that crap?

San Antone

How cool is this?  A Composer A Day

BENJAMIN SCHEUER

QuoteThe music of German composer Benjamin Scheuer is often characterized by theatrical and humoristic elements. Toys and all kinds of sounds from everyday life are blended with traditional and contemporary techniques and are used for formal experiments often implying the technique of collage. He loves to travel and tries to visit international festivals and courses as much as he can. In 2012 his studies with Wolfgang Rihm in Karlsruhe, several collaborations with musicians in Holland, his fellowship at the Tanglewood Music Center,a stay in the French Abbey Royaumont and the first workshops of a new music theatre project in Aldeburgh, UK, have been important experiences for him.

http://www.youtube.com/v/i2P0VZycKbo#!

bhodges

bhodges

Quote from: sanantonio on January 18, 2013, 10:23:06 AM

BENJAMIN SCHEUER

Very cool indeed - and that Scheuer piece is great (at least, as I'm listening to it now). Thanks much!

--Bruce

Johnll

Quote from: sanantonio on January 18, 2013, 10:23:06 AM

BENJAMIN SCHEUER

Not intended to be confrontational.  I cannot read a score and am not particularly musically sophisticated.  How is this piece notated? Is there a side bar in the score drop some rocks in a tray or breath through a PA horn?
The piece s has some interest to my ears, particularly as it progresses, but I do wonder. If you put a piece of paper in front of him and told him to write a SQ in which he was only allowed to bow and pluck the strings could he do it? If he can why not?

San Antone

Thomas Blomenkamp has been a freelance composer and pianist since completing his studies in 1982. He lives with his wife, the soprano Dorothee Wohlgemuth, and their children Leah and Aaron near his native city of Düsseldorf.

Born in 1955, Blomenkamp decided to pursue a musical career after winning prizes in chamber music from Germany's youth competition "Jugend musiziert" and completing his A-levels. He took a performance degree in piano with Herbert Drechsel and David Levine at the Robert Schumann Institute, Düsseldorf, and degree in composition with Jürg Baur at Cologne University of Music; he also attended master classes in piano and chamber music with Ditta Pasztory-Bartók, Rudolf Buchbinder, Andor Foldes, Sandor Végh, Rainer Kussmaul, William Pleeth and the Amadeus Quartet.

Blomenkamp: "Fünf Stücke für großes Orchester"

https://www.youtube.com/v/KGQkDKKrexg

San Antone

SSU-YU HUANG

Ssu-Yu Huang, a native of Taiwan, enjoys an active career in contemporary music. Her works, covering a wide range of music with bold and delicate genre, are popular among professional musicians and orchestras in Taiwan as well as other parts of the world. German conductor maestro Günther Herbig praised her orchestral work of a modern and complex style, presenting her own characters and creativity. In recent years Ssu-Yu's works have proliferated and been performed in Europe, Asia and America. Her prominent work such as "Red Moon" for symphony won the first "Call For Score" of the National Symphony Orchestra of Taiwan in 2010, and was selected as part of the required repertoire of the Günther Herbig's International Conducting Workshop at the Taipei National Concert Hall in 2010. "Wind City Symphony Poem" and "Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto," for wind orchestra were invited to perform in the International Band Festivals, with the latter performed in the 2011 World Band Festival, recorded and distributed by Mark Custom Recording. "A Dream of Red Mansions" for trio and "A Stroke" for quintet were selected by the Asian Composers' League and performed in Yokohama, Japan and Manila, the Philippines, receiving high acclaim. "Meditation" for guitar solo was selected by Spanish guitarist Marcelo de la Puebla for a Puentes album with music published by Marc Reift Edition. Ssu-Yu was born in 1970, studied piano at the age of six. She began her study of composition in 1987, while she attended the Tainan Woman's College of Arts and Technology majoring in electronic organ and piano.

Red Moon

https://www.youtube.com/v/ABXx5AJD3Ok

some guy

Quote from: Johnll on January 18, 2013, 03:16:16 PMIf you put a piece of paper in front of him and told him to write a SQ in which he was only allowed to bow and pluck the strings could he do it?
Wrong question.

Why would anyone put a piece of paper in front of him and tell him to write an SQ in which only bowing and plucking are allowed?

(There's nothing particularly sacred or valuable about bowing and plucking, is there?)

Anyway sanantonio, this discovery of yours gets my vote for the best discovery of the [any time period, here].

petrarch

Quote from: some guy on January 20, 2013, 11:26:45 AM
Why would anyone put a piece of paper in front of him and tell him to write an SQ in which only bowing and plucking are allowed?

A commission?
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole