21st century classical music

Started by James, May 25, 2012, 04:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Jorge García del Valle Méndez (1966*) grew up in Spain, where he studied bassoon and composition. Since 1996 he lives in Dresden, Germany and studied at the Hochschule für Musik Dresden: composition and electronic music.

His compositions are worldwide premiered and broadcasted since 1993. He frequently receives commissions from various international institutions. Through electronic music he became interested in digital analysis and sound processing, which he has applied to his theoretical works as well as his musical compositions. He has also researched into digital analysis in Bassoon multi-phonics and their sound possibilities in the application to contemporary music.

In 2005 and 2012 he was scholarship holder of the "Kulturstiftung Sachsen". Prices: Salvatore Martirano Memorial Composition Award Competition of the University of Illinois (USA), 4th Composition Award of the Sächsischer Musikrat (Germany) both 2006. 5th Composition Award of the Sächsischer Musikrat (Germany) in 2007.

After Dark for clarinet, violin, viola, violoncello and piano (2008).  Composed after Haruki Murakami's book "After Dark".

San Antone

Daan Janssens - (Paysages ‒ études) IV

http://www.youtube.com/v/Q7M6tWJeH68&feature=em-subs_digest&list=TLwit-1oDlGW0

Quoteborn in Bruges in 1983, and had violin, piano, music theory, composition and many more courses at the Bruges music academy. From 2002 till 2007, I studied composition at the Ghent Conservatory with Frank Nuyts, and attended, among others, lessons of Godfried-Willem Raes (improvisation) and Filip Rathé (analyses and beyond). I had master classes with Peter Eötvös and Luca Francesconi, and I visited different composition courses, such as the Darmstädter Ferienkurse, were I attended seminars of Marco Stroppa, Vykintas Baltakas, Isabel Mundry, Mark Andre and many more. In 2009, I could work with the Neue Vocalsolisten and Bruno Mantovani during Acanthes (Metz, France). Further, I attended conducting lessons/seminars with Ensemble Modern, Johannes Kalitzke, Marco Angius and Lucas Vis.

San Antone

San Antone

Nicholas S. Omiccioli (b. 1982) is currently a preparing future faculty fellow at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and production coordinator of newEar Contemporary Chamber Ensemble. His works have been performed throughout the United States, Canada, Italy, Austria, Lithuania, Thailand, New Zealand, and China by ensembles such as the Jasper String Quartet, Curious Chamber Players, DuoSolo, Ensemble Platypus, le Nouvel Ensemble Moderne, l'Orchestre de la francophonie, Society for New Music, Brave New Works, Contemporaneous, Wild Rumpus New Music Collective, Kansas City Chorale, and the Simon Carrington Chamber Singers.

reach (2011.12) string quartet (quintet version)

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on January 22, 2013, 03:54:17 AM
I haven't heard the work you mention but there are some recordings of his music on Spotify.  This for example:

[asin]B000003GJ3[/asin]

I am listening to his String Quartet right now.

I've enjoyed that SQ quite a bit. It's a very cheerful jaunt, a train ride across country, in a very pleasant Complex language.

San Antone

Malin Bång

In Malin Bång's compositions she develops the idea that the main component in music is movement and energy. She defines her musical material according to their amount of friction to create a spectrum of actions ranging from the barely audible to the harsh and obstinate. In her work she often incorporates sound objects to explore a rich sound world and to suggest that a musical content can be shaped by anything valuable to the artistic purpose.

Revival in Relievo
Curious Chamber Players

Cato

Possibly others here have heard of these composers and this label:

http://www.col-legno.com/en/catalog/

e.g.

[asin]B00005LAHK[/asin]

or

[asin]B008XBIS4I[/asin]

[asin]B005Q130X2[/asin]

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

San Antone

Quote from: Cato on February 15, 2013, 06:32:42 AM
Possibly others here have heard of these composers and this label:

http://www.col-legno.com/en/catalog/

e.g.

[asin]B00005LAHK[/asin]

or

[asin]B008XBIS4I[/asin]

[asin]B005Q130X2[/asin]

I know of and really like the label Col Legno; they have a good catalog for new music.  Spotify has these three recordings, as well as, a few others by Lampson.  I am listening to the first one you have pictured right now.

dyn

Quote from: sanantonio on February 15, 2013, 08:01:01 AM
I know of and really like the label Col Legno; they have a good catalog for new music.  Spotify has these three recordings, as well as, a few others by Lampson.  I am listening to the first one you have pictured right now.
for contemporary stuff, Col Legno is matched by very few. Maybe NEOS. Can't think of many other labels with selections as wide and as interesting though.

petrarch

Quote from: dyn on February 15, 2013, 11:05:24 AM
for contemporary stuff, Col Legno is matched by very few. Maybe NEOS. Can't think of many other labels with selections as wide and as interesting though.

Kairos? Mode? Stradivarius? Accord and Montaigne in the 1990s? Col Legno is one of my favorites, and Neos is becoming a very good one too.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

San Antone

À chacun sa miniature

A vibrant portrait of the state of the art in Canadian new music.

With its collection qb, the Bozzini Quartet gives life to the diverse aesthetics of our time. The music in this collection forms a continuous line: without imposing an aesthetic stance, these discs follow a deep yet ineffable continuity of purpose. Each disc is a window, an opening into a singular world: the soul of a place, a common artistic language, or the distinct vision of an artist. The thirteenth volume of the collection presents a 31-part mosaic which is both portrait and landscape: a vibrant portrait of the state of the art of Canadian new music, and at the same time an undulating landscape of 31 paths, at once divergent, overlapping, merging, opposing.

One of the composers featured on this recording is Taylor Brook.

Here's another of his works.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ypy0dhcxM0o

San Antone

JOANNA WOZNY

Wozny: "Archipel" 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/v/j6wREXeFZ_g

Wozny: "Archipel" 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/v/DwAxsbPLX8w

Joanna Wozny was born in 1973 in Zabrze (Poland) and currently lives in Graz. She studied philosophy at the Silesian University at Katowice (Poland) and composition with Gerd Kühr and Beat Furrer (University for Music, Graz) as well as with Younghi Pagh-Paan.

San Antone

Ivan Eröd ~ Viola Concerto: I.

http://www.youtube.com/v/i6MI8nqVj8M

Viola Concerto: II.

http://www.youtube.com/v/tOjM8IR1Rg0

QuoteMy composing was never determined by ideology or by what was just fashion. I appreciate the craft high and do not stop to learn from the great masters of the past. And I believe that the source of inspiration lies deep within us. My music is as varied as the world, with occasional cheerful or playful, as I think it is necessary nowadays, other times it is very serious, especially if the text requires it, they can also "raised" (many be on the use of the word smile), but our soul is longing for the transcendent.

some guy

Quote from: petrarch on February 15, 2013, 02:48:44 PM
Kairos? Mode? Stradivarius? Accord and Montaigne in the 1990s? Col Legno is one of my favorites, and Neos is becoming a very good one too.
Pogus.
sub rosa
erstwhile
Wergo

Karl Henning

Hey, Atlantans!

My friend, and excellent fellow composer, Mark Gresham has written a piano trio whose première will be Sunday, 3 March.  I'll scare up the deets . . . it would be cracking if any of you might attend the event!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on February 26, 2013, 11:17:52 AM
Hey, Atlantans!

My friend, and excellent fellow composer, Mark Gresham has written a piano trio whose première will be Sunday, 3 March.  I'll scare up the deets . . . it would be cracking if any of you might attend the event!

Edit: Found it.

Quite a hike for me, but I'm gonna try. Sounds like a great program.

Johnll

Quote from: karlhenning on February 26, 2013, 11:17:52 AM
Hey, Atlantans!

I could almost walk there and I am going unless her majesty objects. Well this would be only the second time out this year for me. GSMoeller be a little wary of Google maps as my first search put it a long way off of Holcomb Bride which is round the corner from me.

San Antone

Frances White

Her CD In the Library of Dreams came out in 2012 and is well worth hearing.  It is on Spotify but I can't find a track from it to post, however, here is another of her works:

Frances White | Centre Bridge (Dark River)

http://www.youtube.com/v/mw-s9-3v8aw

QuoteFrances White composes instrumental and electronic music. She is particularly known for her works combining live instruments and computer-generated electronic sound spaces. She studied composition at the University of Maryland, Brooklyn College, and Princeton University. She has received awards, honors, grants and commissions from organizations such as Prix Ars Electronica (Linz, Austria), the Institut International de Musique Electroacoustique de Bourges (France), the International Computer Music Association, Hungarian Radio, ASCAP, the Bang on a Can Festival, the Other Minds Festival, the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, The Dale Warland Singers, the American Music Center, The Mary Flagler Cary Charitable Trust, and The Guggenheim Foundation. She has received resident artist fellowships from The MacDowell Colony and The Djerassi Resident Artists Program. In 2007, Mode Records released Centre Bridge, a CD devoted to her electroacoustic works. Ms. White's music has also appeared on CD on the Wergo, Centaur, Nonsequitur, Harmonia Mundi, and Bridge labels. Ms. White's music was featured as part of the soundtrack of Gus Van Sant's award-winning films Elephant and Paranoid Park.

Ms. White studies the shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute), and finds that the traditional music of this instrument informs and influences her work as a composer. Much of Ms. White's music is inspired by her love of nature, and her electronic works frequently include natural sound recorded around where she lives, in central New Jersey.

dyn

Been enjoying the music of Evan Johnson lately.

https://soundcloud.com/evan-johnson-17

Music isn't quite like anyone else's although i'm reminded at various points of Cage, Barrett and his near-contemporary Cassidy—worth a listen if those names don't strike fear into your soul. i have a feeling he's going to do important things to come.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 26, 2013, 12:10:46 PM

Edit: Found it.

Quite a hike for me, but I'm gonna try. Sounds like a great program.

Quote from: Johnll on February 26, 2013, 05:25:36 PM
I could almost walk there and I am going unless her majesty objects. Well this would be only the second time out this year for me. GSMoeller be a little wary of Google maps as my first search put it a long way off of Holcomb Bride which is round the corner from me.

Cool, gents! Obviously I've not heard this piece yet, but I read a recent piece of Mark's in MS., and I expect musical excellence.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot